Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the same way you find the subject matter boring quotes can be boring if you have no interest in reading them or what they have to say. .

Umm, I never said that exercise and photos were boring. What I DID say was that it would be nice to have more than JUST those 2 items monopolizing the thread. Quite simple really, just expanding it.
You sound angry. That is too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 07:37 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Is it all right if I include the joke for the day? My husband that you will find I call Mr. VA on the threads because he was born in Virginia so we can't call him Mr. NCN (North Carolina Native) just peaked his head in the door and mentioned to me that maybe we should go to Flagstaff on vacation instead of Santee Cooper, South Carolina because Arizona needs the rain.

Hope you got that. LOL

Last edited by NCN; 07-04-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
NCN

Our daughter got married in September of 1989. They went to Charleston on their honeymoon and two weeks later here comes Hugo. Next vacation was on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and shortly thereafter here comes another really bad hurricane. We started saying that maybe they could get free vacations by calling places and telling them they were planning a vacation there and maybe the place would pay them to go somewhere else so no hurricane would follow.

With us it is rain. Last September we went to Smuggler's Notch, Vermont and I have never heard such rain coming down since I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina. I have pictures of Branson with water up around picnic tables near the lake. An umbrella was so help whatsoever when we visited New Orleans earlier this year. It rained sideways four out of five days we were there. I think it rained after we got back in our room on the fifth day. We left in the rain and the sun came out the next day.

When they brought our car around for us to go home my husband asked the valet when their dry season was in New Orleans and maybe we could come back then. He said, "This is the dry season." LOL

Last edited by NCN; 07-04-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Is it all right if I include the joke for the day? My husband that you will find I call Mr. VA on the threads because he was born in Virginia so we can't call him Mr. NCN (North Carolina Native) just peaked his head in the door and mentioned to me that maybe we should go to Flagstaff on vacation instead of Santee Cooper, South Carolina because Arizona needs the rain.

Hope you got that. LOL

I got it!! Thanks! I think adding jokes to the thread is a great idea. One can NEVER laugh too much.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM

A retirement quote for this July Retirement:

I’ve got a sizeable retirement nest egg. It’s an ostrich egg, and it’s going to make an omelet so big that it’ll produce enough leftovers for decades.
”
Jarod Kintz, The Days of Yay are Here! Wake Me Up When They're Over.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
A retirement quote for this July Retirement:

I’ve got a sizeable retirement nest egg. It’s an ostrich egg, and it’s going to make an omelet so big that it’ll produce enough leftovers for decades.
”
Jarod Kintz, The Days of Yay are Here! Wake Me Up When They're Over.
I saw a program about eagles on public TV yesterday. Their eggs weigh 1/4 lb. Are ostrich eggs bigger than that? Now watching a show like that is something I never used to have the time to do. If I sat down in front of the TV I was so tired that I usually went to sleep.

Today we are ignoring the parades around us and just doing the normal at home. I am just not in the mood for crowds today. It's Independence Day so I am being independent.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I saw a program about eagles on public TV yesterday. Their eggs weigh 1/4 lb. Are ostrich eggs bigger than that? Now watching a show like that is something I never used to have the time to do. If I sat down in front of the TV I was so tired that I usually went to sleep.

Today we are ignoring the parades around us and just doing the normal at home. I am just not in the mood for crowds today. It's Independence Day so I am being independent.
That's a good one--that you are being independent on Independence Day. When I had family around we'd always have a cookout but NEVER EVER in my life have I ever gone anywhere for the 4th. That's a day to stay put and avoid traffic at all costs. Well, actually, one time long ago we did make the mistake of driving to Cape Cod around the 4th, never found a place to stay, and drove all the way home again.

I'm being independent today too.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Just to give you an idea... nothing like another photo op!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's a good one--that you are being independent on Independence Day. When I had family around we'd always have a cookout but NEVER EVER in my life have I ever gone anywhere for the 4th. That's a day to stay put and avoid traffic at all costs. Well, actually, one time long ago we did make the mistake of driving to Cape Cod around the 4th, never found a place to stay, and drove all the way home again.

I'm being independent today too.
We live near the small town of Waxhaw, North Carolina. It has the best parade ever. It is traditional that we go to that parade. Waxhaw is a tourist town so it fills up starting at breakfast since there are so many good places to eat and so many antique shops. We were at the first Waxhaw Fourth of July parade and for years we attended it every year. The parade is so popular that it has grown into an all day event with dancing on the street into the night.

This is very unusual for us. That parade is the event of the year and we could be talking to everybody we know or ever knew. Independent is the word for the day. Sorry to be so boring about this.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Just to give you an idea... nothing like another photo op!
Yes, I believe that is bigger. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement