Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
No need to be so hateful since you get up in the morning and look at a computer. I enjoy shoveling goat crap, washing my hands, and rubbing meat with salt and spices. I get a minimum wage and health care. What's not to like?

HUH???? You might be a tad confused or breathing in too much of that goat...droppings. Not hateful at all. Please don't mistake directness for hate. That would be a huge mistake.

I'm sorry if you are unhappy with your lot in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 AM

72,413 posts, read 18,199,776 times
I posted here earlier.I am not retired still in the real estate business and pretty busy with other businesses in different communities.That makes my life interesting. Love this thread!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Izzy, if we don't come to you, you come to us. I just feel more with the retirement crowd. Love ya'll but sometimes I felt out of place.

Real estate can be a retirement occupation. I keep my license updated although I have never used it. It is my insurance policy just in case I might need to go back to work. I should have said renewed. It would take about a week to get updated and then I would need to re-educate myself. My son was about 2 when I got the license and he is forty-something now. Renew every year; but still have never used it.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You think that's boring? Not to me.

I LOVE parades. I guess the towns around here can't afford to have them anymore but we used to go in the morning and put our chairs down by the side of the road on the parade route and walk home. Then come back late for the best seats in the house. Great bands, floats.

Another town I lived in had a great parade but that went downhill. I think it was because people went away for the 4th instead of staying in town the way people used to do. They all had second homes or rented places that week.

Yours sounds like something I would love--a wonderful parade and the shops and places to eat, being around all the people and excitement. Sounds fantastic.
Today I might be in the mood too. I got a fantastic nights sleep last night. My husband had a health issue last Friday night and I ended up calling 911 and he was taken to the emergency room. He is fine and I am like a hat on a hot tin roof. Or nervous as a cat. Whatever.

The first Fourth of July parade they had, I looked down the street from my spot and made the statement that it looked like a Norman Rockwell picture. And it did. Some people had brought their dogs and since this was a new thing and Waxhaw is a small town, everybody was there. Everybody was in a good mood and it turned out to be the biggest small town parade one could imagine. We even had major beauty queens, every political person in the area and mayors from other towns.

Andrew Jackson went to school in Waxhaw and his parents lived in our town except we were not a town back then.

Added note: Waxhaw has a train track running through the middle of the town and one year the parade had to stop while the train went through. We loved it!

http://www.waxhaw.com/

Last edited by NCN; 07-05-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Today I might be in the mood too. I got a fantastic nights sleep last night. My husband had a health issue last Friday night and I ended up calling 911 and he was taken to the emergency room.
I'm glad to hear that he is fine. A good nights sleep is like a gift.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
No need to be so hateful since you get up in the morning and look at a computer. I enjoy shoveling goat crap, washing my hands, and rubbing meat with salt and spices. I get a minimum wage and health care. What's not to like?
Minimum wage and shoveling **** in Texas. No wonder you're grumpy. Hope it gets real for you, and better.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I'm glad to hear that he is fine. A good nights sleep is like a gift.
I vote for both of those. Very glad that NCN's husband is home and you just can't eat a good night's sleep.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
We've had so much rain here that it was not possible to mow and the grass really grew tall very fast.

So today I mowed the front yard with the ride on but then had to rake up all the long cut stuff. The front yard doesn't seem that big but I filled four of the 33 gallon trash bags with what I raked up.

Came in and took a break during the worst of the afternoon heat and then headed back out to pick up after the dogs and to mow the dog run area very short with the walk behind mower which bags up the cut stuff but it was still so wet that it was tough going, both the mowing and emptying the darn bag numerous times.

I'm beat. Need a long cool shower, a bare minimum of clothing when I'm done and then a nice glass of wine to relax with. Probably spend a little time watching a DVD since even reading seems like too much work right now.

I could happily use several days of dry but overcast and cool weather to continue with yard work but it doesn't look like that is what is in store.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL at the thought that I would stop posting because some other person thinks I look foolish. I raised four teenagers. According to them I've spent my whole life looking foolish--why stop now?

Let me know if any of you ever get crowned Emperor Of The Retirement Forum. At that point you might be able to convince me to cease and resist. Until then, you'll just have to learn to live with it.

Meanwhile... how cool is it to see my little thread engaging all this controversy in the very month that ten most engaging posters win $500! Thanks guys!
I LOVE your posts! And I am trying my best to refrain from making a snarky response to brava, etc. I don't understand why they have to grip about this thread when they obviously don't have to come here! Keep writing, please! I'm enjoying them all!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I LOVE your posts! !

too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement