Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,678,273 times

Advertisements

I love the idea of a retirement chat thread. At least the posts are more than one sentence. You don't want to know what I did Monday. It would scare you.

Today I got up ate something, groomed and put on a bright red dress and went shopping. I carried my red, white and blue handbag and wore white shoes. Came home and prepared a meal. I would tell you which meal but we are never sure which meal we are eating anymore. The food is not worth mentioning. TV is on in another room so I can leave this computer as soon as NCIS comes on. Mr. VA is at the American Legion Building helping with bingo. This is my couple of hours alone to rediscover who I am.

I forgot to mention it was sprinkling rain when I came out of the grocery store and changed to a little harder rain when I was putting groceries in the car trunk and started to pour when I went to place the shopping cart in the holder. I got soaked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,136,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And, no, ER. Certain persons will never get it.
Nope, 'fraid not. You'll just have to learn to live with us.

Quote:
Now let me tell you about my day...
I'd love to hear it. Might be boring to you, but not to me.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,270,633 times
Default Plus 1

Very inspirational thread. Love the pictures. Thank you.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
No mall walking for this old lady since the nearest one is 35 miles away in Christiansburg. If I head up there I'm likely to spend money on books, farm supplies, dining out and several gallons of gas for the trip so I try to keep my journeys there to a minimum. Plus, they have lots of traffic lights to sit waiting at and with only one in here in Floyd county I'm rather spoiled about moving right along at my own pace.
LOL I know the feeling. There are a couple of shopping plazas that are on my no no list, too--no matter how nice it may be to walk there. Too many things I'm likely to buy. But who needs the mall anyway when you have all that property to keep you busy? Sounds like you live in a beautiful place. I'd love to hear more about what everyday life is like when you retire out in the country.

How nice to live in a place without traffic lights. Definitely jealous of that!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM

107,062 posts, read 109,362,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Mathjak--once again amazing photos. Who knew power lines could look so cool?

This time you've inspired me to see if I could get a few shots like that. We have underground power lines where I live but they have some cool towers like that over in the next county. They look sort of like giants marching across a field. Might just drive over there today. (I'm not posting any shots I take, though, since I know they won't be half as cool as yours. Still, it'll be fun to see how they turn out and an interesting little field trip for today. If it isn't raining, LOL.)
I say all the time ,painters have to decide what to include in their scene.

Photographers have to decide what to exclude. Anything not adding is taking away from the scene.

But many times the things we exclude can be great subjects themselves with some creativity.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I say all the time ,painters have to decide what to include in their scene.

Photographers have to decide what to exclude. Anything not adding is taking away from the scene.

But many times the things we exclude can be great subjects themselves with some creativity.
Good points. I'm starting to see what you mean about deciding what to exclude. The shots I took back when I first retired were so crowded--now I try to focus more on details, to exclude anything that isn't adding, as you put it.

Tomorrow I'm hiking down to Heron Lake and will try to take a shot of a flying bird (if I see one). It'll be a good challenge to see if I can get it in focus--plus a good baseline to look back on as I get better over time.

You know what, we get lots of threads from people who don't know what to do with their time after they retire--let me recommend taking up photography. It's turning out to be a very satisfying retirement hobby. Doesn't cost a dime (once you buy the camera) and is giving me many reasons to see the world around me now that I finally have the time to take a good long look.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,678,273 times
Quote:
Good points. I'm starting to see what you mean about deciding what to exclude. The shots I took back when I first retired were so crowded--now I try to focus more on details, to exclude anything that isn't adding, as you put it.

Tomorrow I'm hiking down to Heron Lake and will try to take a shot of a flying bird (if I see one). It'll be a good challenge to see if I can get it in focus--plus a good baseline to look back on as I get better over time.

You know what, we get lots of threads from people who don't know what to do with their time after they retire--let me recommend taking up photography. It's turning out to be a very satisfying retirement hobby. Doesn't cost a dime (once you buy the camera) and is giving me many reasons to see the world around me now that I finally have the time to take a good long look.
I am finding out that when you travel and take pictures they sometimes give you more pleasure later than they did the day you took them. Sitting in a chair looking at pictures doesn't make the bones hurt as bad as they did on the day the picture was taken. Ole Authur is one of my constant companions, unfortunately.

I am sitting here right now trying to decide whether to go jump in the water tomorrow morning for my range of motion class. That class literally keeps me going but I have had to stay out for a while after getting a place cut off my leg. I have really been lazy lately, but you cannot be lazy too long. Guess it is time to bite the bullet and jump back in the swing of things.

I bought canned Armour luncheon meat today. Remember on the other thread I said food was not worth mentioning. Sometimes I go junk food shopping. I did that today. First stop was Dollar General and second was Food Lion. I bought about $30 worth of junk. Shamey shame on me.

Last edited by NCN; 07-02-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,554,029 times
Quote:
Nope, 'fraid not. You'll just have to learn to live with us.

I'd love to hear it. Might be boring to you, but not to me.
Oh, yeah. It was stimulating. Early morning "launch" to the "big" city 60 miles away for a physical therapy for my wife. Next stop, the Honda dealer for scheduled maintenance on our car. Walked to a restaurant we'd never noticed before (the Korean one we were heading to was closed for the week) to have lunch while the car was being serviced and they made great, healthy gyros and other delights. We'll be back. Talked to and congratulated the owner.

Picked up and paid for the car, went to a new Asian (mostly Korean) market and shopped for some great ingredients to enhance my Korean cooking and I got to practice my "fading" Hangul skills on the owner who was amazed that I spoke any at all. Bought a bunch of things.

Headed home and chilled until dinner time for which I fried fresh taco shells and grilled nicely seasoned tilapia for fish tacos. Off to bed shortly and that was my somewhat busy but, other than culinary discoveries, nothing specular day.

By the way, we're "foodies!"

Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,005,937 times
Quote:
Oh, yeah. It was stimulating. Early morning "launch" to the "big" city 60 miles away for a physical therapy for my wife. Next stop, the Honda dealer for scheduled maintenance on our car. Walked to a restaurant we'd never noticed before (the Korean one we were heading to was closed for the week) to have lunch while the car was being serviced and they made great, healthy gyros and other delights. We'll be back. Talked to and congratulated the owner.

Picked up and paid for the car, went to a new Asian (mostly Korean) market and shopped for some great ingredients to enhance my Korean cooking and I got to practice my "fading" Hangul skills on the owner who was amazed that I spoke any at all. Bought a bunch of things.

Headed home and chilled until dinner time for which I fried fresh taco shells and grilled nicely seasoned tilapia for fish tacos. Off to bed shortly and that was my somewhat busy but, other than culinary discoveries, nothing specular day.

By the way, we're "foodies!"
Fascinating, the best post so far. I spent the morning at the rabies clinic with two dogs needing straightjackets, then home to thunder where they shook and shivered and hid under the beds while I sorted and shredded paperwork including old love letters, then a run-in with a neighbor over his boombox though it ended well, watered the garden I don't know why because it was about to rain, then my oven broke down as I was about to bake gluten-free brownies, the next door cat on the other side went into heat and yowled all evening and a skunk sprayed the neighborhood with its scent and the dogs are going to have to hold their pee all night because they refuse to go out when it's thundering....a client whose book I edited called elated that she got a good publisher...and the mosquitoes somehow got inside and are chasing me around the house and it will probably rain buckets more tonight finishing off the peas. Day finished with a St Louis friend telling me she's going out tonight or tomorrow night to tail her husband who is having an affair and she thinks it's at good hotel and how did I think was the best way for her to do that. Retirement is fun. [photo by me with a crappy camera]
Attached Thumbnails
Everyday Life in Retirement: July, 2013-p1010017.jpg  

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,554,029 times
[quote=newenglandgirl;30304249]Fascinating, the best post so far. [quote]

So tomorrow perhaps we'll explore bowl movement irregularity, ED, prostrate issues and other fun, male senior-plaguing issues. That should be fun, right?

This could quickly devolve to TMI of which I am not a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement