Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times

Advertisements

Is a drug test required before a poster is allowed to post on this thread and the preceding thread?

Last edited by matisse12; 07-04-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times

Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Is a drug test required before a poster is allowed to post on this thread and the preceding thread?

HHmm, good question. You may want to ask Caladium for those details. The requirements for posting are getting very serious. Maybe an issue for/of national security. Watch yourself!

Last edited by brava4; 07-04-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We live near the small town of Waxhaw, North Carolina. It has the best parade ever. It is traditional that we go to that parade. Waxhaw is a tourist town so it fills up starting at breakfast since there are so many good places to eat and so many antique shops. We were at the first Waxhaw Fourth of July parade and for years we attended it every year. The parade is so popular that it has grown into an all day event with dancing on the street into the night.

This is very unusual for us. That parade is the event of the year and we could be talking to everybody we know or ever knew. Independent is the word for the day. Sorry to be so boring about this.
You think that's boring? Not to me.

I LOVE parades. I guess the towns around here can't afford to have them anymore but we used to go in the morning and put our chairs down by the side of the road on the parade route and walk home. Then come back late for the best seats in the house. Great bands, floats.

Another town I lived in had a great parade but that went downhill. I think it was because people went away for the 4th instead of staying in town the way people used to do. They all had second homes or rented places that week.

Yours sounds like something I would love--a wonderful parade and the shops and places to eat, being around all the people and excitement. Sounds fantastic.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Someone emailed me today to say this is the Fourth of July. I didn't know as I've been so busy cleaning out and downsizing! I'm also glad that the online monthly calendars for 2013 have a yellow dot behind the day of the week it is. I honestly thought today was yesterday (Wednesday). Everyday life in retirement for me is going backward!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Someone emailed me today to say this is the Fourth of July. I didn't know as I've been so busy cleaning out and downsizing! I'm also glad that the online monthly calendars for 2013 have a yellow dot behind the day of the week it is. I honestly thought today was yesterday (Wednesday). Everyday life in retirement for me is going backward!

Wow, if you thought today was yesterday than what will tomorrow be? Poor girl.

This could be like "who's on first" Hmm, maybe there is a quote for that. Must look.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 AM

96 posts, read 175,131 times
Caladium--

Thanks for the info. We have been to Algonkian Park for the waterpark and played with friends who live in the Cascades area. With 50 acres on our farm, our kids (yes, we have 6 kids!) have tons of room to roam; but sometimes it is nice to go to other locations too.

Everyone have a great 4th of July 2013!

Even though we are in our early 30's (32 YO for DH and I) and far from retirement years, I enjoy reading everyone's posts. Pretty much I am retired anyway. DH is an Electrical Engineer Manager for a Defense contractor in Chantilly, VA area; and I am at home (or not--with 6 kids, livestock, etc.). I am pursuing my Master's degree online at Kansas State University (KSU) for Food Science/Nutrition currently. Having completed my bachelor's degree in Business Administration and MBA at UGA in GA (where we are originally from) as well as my bachelor's degree in Foods Science/Nutrition at UGA too. DH went to Georgia Tech for bachelor's and Master's degree.

With both farming and a large family on both sides (as well as our own), we stay busy! Speaking of "early retirement", DH and I planned early on not to ever be in debt for college tuition, home or land, cars/trucks, etc. We have never even used credit cards and paid fully cash for all our homes, cars, etc. With great investments, 401K's, Roth IRA's, paid for home and farm land, etc. in our 30's, we are enjoying life and our family.

I previously worked at GA Pacific as a Sales Manager (before kids) for 7 years from age 17 to 24 and used the tuition benefit to fully pay for my bachelor degree in Business Administration and MBA through my company. My DH did the same at GA Tech too through his past employers.

Sorry for the long post! I agree with previous posters that planning for retirement and other inevitable expenses is important. That is the way we were raised and are raising our kids (3 boys/3 girls.)

To others--

Your photos are beautiful. I will have to upload photos of our farm here in VA soon.

Have fun--

Menmom1

Old 07-04-2013, 12:04 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Gosh, you are all inspiring me. DH and I seem to be retired now, since we've both lost our jobs and nobody will hire us anymore.

All I can think about is my friend's story about when they first adopted their dog which had been in a cage its whole life. They brought it home and placed it in the middle of the living room floor, and it just sat there. It took awhile before it realized it could venture past the confines of its box.

I feel like that. I just don't know what to do with myself. We are fortunate to live near the shore and near a city where there are a lot of activities, but the crowds and lack of parking usually make us talk ourselves out of going to them.

I know we will find some volunteer activities eventually, but for now we are just shell shocked.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
LOL looks like I can add "did a lot of posting" to my exercise for today. It exercised my fingers, anyway.

So... back to the topic of everyday life in retirement. It was kind of weird being out on the river today with so many other people. When you're retired you get used to almost having the world to yourself while everyone else is at work. Fun to see so many people out enjoying themselves, but weird. Guess I must be adjusting to the retired life

We got invited to a party down the street, and the country club has fireworks. Not that I'm going to the fancy party but everyone in the neighborhood gets to see the fireworks so it's all good. In a way I'm just as glad to not be going into DC. When I was younger I didn't mind the traffic so much, but since I've retired I've discovered I really don't have the same tolerance for traffic jams anymore.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Isn't this repeating efforts since there is already the OTHER thread about the very same thing? Or are you going to do this for every month?
No need to be so hateful since you get up in the morning and look at a computer. I enjoy shoveling goat crap, washing my hands, and rubbing meat with salt and spices. I get a minimum wage and health care. What's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement