Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 06:02 AM

18 posts, read 25,922 times

Advertisements

If some one retires early before they start collecting Social Security, how can they qualify for an apartment or home that requires employment and a certain income level?

What if they were living on dividends from a large amount of money? How would potential landlords look at this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 06:27 AM

756 posts, read 836,732 times
Are you receiving any type of pension? My hubby did at age 58, and we rented based on the pension he was receiving. Of course they needed proof of income and verified everything.

If you are receiving dividends and have a papertrail of say, 3x your potential rent (down here for most renters that is the figure) and can prove it easily, then they may accept that paperwork.

I am sure others have more info and can add.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Professional View Post
If some one retires early before they start collecting Social Security, how can they qualify for an apartment or home that requires employment and a certain income level?

What if they were living on dividends from a large amount of money? How would potential landlords look at this?
I don't know, but this is an excellent question. It pertains to retirees of any age living on dividends who want to rent. Some landlords may find this as risky. I think what I would do, if I could swing it, is pay for 6 mos to a year's worth of rent in advance, to be held in escrow (is there any kind of interest-bearing escrow account that would allow the interest to revert back to you?).

Old 01-10-2015, 06:33 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Here's a thread from a couple of years ago on this subject: //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...res-early.html

Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Here's a thread from a couple of years ago on this subject: //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...res-early.html

That was nice of you to find that thread.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:29 AM

756 posts, read 836,732 times
Yes, and some great advice there.

I rent from a private owner here and that was much preferred after doing the big company rental properties for 2 years. Our LL has only this property to concern herself with and wanted someone who "fit" her and the property. She is flexible to a degree that a large corp would not be: if work is needed in the home she is willing to schedule around me and not a corporate calendar etc. and has mentioned many times what a good tenant I am and how she wants to keep me happy. So happy actually that I have to say, in the 2 years I have been here, she has not raised the rent. (yet!)

Of course I do not presume on her goodwill and keep the property in good repair, notify her immediately if something major looks amiss etc. So far so good..

Happy hunting to you!

Old 01-10-2015, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 25,922 times
A private owner, good advice.

But do any early retirees have a story to tell about being approved for an apartment without any income other than brokerage withdrawals or dividend payments?

Old 01-10-2015, 03:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I like this one from Sky-Blue in that link:

If your friend retired early, then he must be financially well-off. If he is trying to get an apartment, I would advise him to open a separate savings account and deposit about $20,000 of his cash. Keep the bulk of the savings in a separate account that is not included in the apt application process. (Don't show how much money he truly has in reserve). After being approved & moving-in, he should transfer most of that $20,000 out of that savings account or close it. That's what I did.

Another option for your friend, if he has spotty references and is desperate for an apartment: Offer to pay three months of rent in advance as a credit to his account, and then keep making each monthly rent payment 90 days in advance for the first year.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:38 PM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:

the same way they give retirees a mortgage , tax returns and financial statements.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:

You have a income higher without SS of course. Income is usually judge by a tax return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement