Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:18 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words. I don't think I could have said it any better myself.

I'm sure the road could get a bit bumpy. Always seems to happen when you get a new and fresh moderator. And unfortunately some people will probably leave which is unfortunate. But I've learned that some times people have a "my way or the highway" mindset. And I have already seen a few people threatening to leave.

As a reminder to all of you, you can see the TOS here: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Please if you intend to leave the forum, just leave. No need to post a farewell message as that is not permitted under the TOS. We hope you reconsider, we'll be sad to see you go but if you decide to leave, no need for a fond farewell. You will be missed.
Personally I see no reason to leave. But I can see us opting to take a break sometimes, like a fast from CD. Problem is, many of us are addicted, lol. I have to take periodic 5-min. rests maybe 5 times per day to put my foot up. Not long enough to read much in a book (I do that at night), but a perfect little segment of time to log onto CD. I try to keep (most) of my posts short. It gets overwhelming when in one post there are a number of photos plus long blog-like entries.

Perhaps the admin could emphasize, in a bright color, those posters who have blogs. That way, those who want to follow a particular blogger can do so, keeping the blogs out of the threads.

Many of us have learned what and who to ignore, according to our own personal tastes and needs. Whatever is a sticky, however, is "in our faces" every time we open the Retirement Forum. For this reason, I think the stickies should serve as broad a readership as possible, and not focus on any narrow demographic or interest as that can get old after a while. It's also possible for a mod to maintain a list of good stickies and rotate them every month or two without getting too frantic about it.

As I've opined earlier, CD is a sophisticated website (construction- and option-wise) and truly unique. Hats off to the creators. As with any system, there can be tweaks and improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, color me oblivious. I never even noticed there was a "Everyday life in Retirement July 2013" sticky thread but then I usually don't pay attention to them. And no offense to anyone who may have posted there but I wouldn't have clicked on it had I noticed it. I usually pass by threads where people talk about their daily lives. I wouldn't expect anyone to find mine so fascinating either. It sounds more like blog material to me than a thread.

For me, the only use for sticky threads is to post the rules and that's about it. Otherwise, they are going to be about subjects that will be of interest to some but not all. I never really saw the need for them. It gives them a certain kind of exclusivity over threads are not given.
I agree.

A sticky for rules makes sense to me. A sticky for chat - no. A sticky for photos? There's a whole forum for photos. If I take pictures now, in retirement, they're almost certain to fit in one of the already-established Photography forums.

But, whatever floats the collective's boat. I can't remember ever clicking on a sticky, so it really doesn't make any difference to me.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Just a note . . . I created a blog here when C-D first offered them, then quickly abandoned it. I moved to doing my own blogs on WordPress. I would delete the blog associated w/ my account, but C-D has no mechanism to do that.

So I would not want anyone highlighting the fact that I started a C-D blog a number of years ago.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Personally I see no reason to leave. But I can see us opting to take a break sometimes, like a fast from CD. Problem is, many of us are addicted, lol. I have to take periodic 5-min. rests maybe 5 times per day to put my foot up. Not long enough to read much in a book (I do that at night), but a perfect little segment of time to log onto CD. I try to keep (most) of my posts short. It gets overwhelming when in one post there are a number of photos plus long blog-like entries.

Perhaps the admin could emphasize, in a bright color, those posters who have blogs. That way, those who want to follow a particular blogger can do so, keeping the blogs out of the threads.

Many of us have learned what and who to ignore, according to our own personal tastes and needs. Whatever is a sticky, however, is "in our faces" every time we open the Retirement Forum. For this reason, I think the stickies should serve as broad a readership as possible, and not focus on any narrow demographic or interest as that can get old after a while. It's also possible for a mod to maintain a list of good stickies and rotate them every month or two without getting too frantic about it.

As I've opined earlier, CD is a sophisticated website (construction- and option-wise) and truly unique. Hats off to the creators. As with any system, there can be tweaks and improvements.
Exactly. And exactly what I meant. I didn't mean to leave permanently. Sometimes it's just helpful to step away for a bit when you find it's a bit much. Addiction can come in all shapes and forms as you correctly mentioned.

Again, I think people will always find something to complain about. I don't think it's a big deal for those that don't want to click on a Sticky to avoid it. But the decision on them might evolve to a point where we either get rid of them for the forum or we just rotate them.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:15 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I think Medicare and Health Insurance, wherever it is now, should be split and Medicare (by itself) should return here as a sub-forum for posting Medicare news updates, questions and experiences.

I think one sticky should be about teaching posters how to do searches and advanced searches of the retirement forum which works for other forums, as well.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I would like to see a chat type thread as a sticky. Though I am not retired yet I am on my pre-retirement vacation. DW and I are now just a few miles just outside of Charleston SC. Weather here is a nice balmy 88 degrees. Beach and harbor tours as well as a carriage tour are all done so now plantations and Del Webb are left. I think we will only see the one up by Charlotte on Saturday since there is so much to do an see. Yeah we plan on returning so don't think you guys are rid of us yet.
I expect a full report on those over 55 locations, please.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:36 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
I occasionally read this forum. My husband and I are in our mid 60's but not yet retired, so I do not post very often. I just read through the forum after not seeing it for a few weeks. I have to say I am very surprised and saddened by the mean and uncalled for comments lately. I was enjoying the daily thread, that is until I got near the end . I do think a sticky should just be for info and instructions. I was under the impression that anyone was allowed to start a thread about anything as long as it did not go against the tos. If someone doesn't want a daily thread with photos they can just choose too ignore it. Some of you should just grow up and stop being so controlling.
You sound like Jr.high bullies.

Last edited by funisart; 07-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I occasionally read this forum. My husband and I are in our mid 60's but not yet retired, so I do not post very often. I just read through the forum after not seeing it for a few weeks. I have to say I am very surprised and saddened by the mean and uncalled for comments lately. I was enjoying the daily thread, that is until I got near the end . I do think a sticky should just be for info and instructions. I was under the impression that anyone was allowed to start a thread about anything as long as it did not go against the tos. If someone doesn't want a daily thread with photos they can just choose too ignore it. Some of you should just grow up and stop being so controlling.
You sound like Jr.high bullies.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:27 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
My thoughts exactly.

for what its worth..... me, too.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I was under the impression that anyone was allowed to start a thread about anything as long as it did not go against the tos. If someone doesn't want a daily thread with photos they can just choose too ignore it.
Yes, to be clear anyone can start a thread on any topic as long as it doesn't violate the TOS. And anyone that doesn't want to read it should just ignore said threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement