Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Buying land once your broke is, well, difficult.

I cashed out a large chunk of our investment portfolio to purchase our land and begin building our house.

Today I would be hard pressed to do that again.

Our portfolio is growing again obviously, but it will take many years to get back up high enough to be able to afford buying another farm.

I truly think that it might be wiser to get the land now.
Good advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Buying land once your broke is, well, difficult. ... I truly think that it might be wiser to get the land now.
yet another task that should be done BEFORE you pull the plug at work...

Getting any long term loans. Its a bit easier to qualify with some income, even if you send in the application on your last day or employment.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
I think anyone can retire, even off social security. You just have to reduce your lifestyle and live within your means. You don't need to live in the big city anymore. Move out to the country where houses are cheap. You don't need the big 3bed/2bath mansion anymore - sell it. Move down to something small and easy to maintain. Cut your lifestyle to the bare minimum. With the money you save, do what you love - travel, write books, whatever!

That is what my grandpa did and it seems like he is always on vacation.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
So . if you live simple and grow vegetables and raise a few chickens
how little can 2 live on. (assuming house is paid for) My only concern is finally having time to explore new hobbies but not having enough money to do that. Guess I'll have to
find cheap hobbies.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I think anyone can retire, even off social security. You just have to reduce your lifestyle and live within your means. You don't need to live in the big city anymore. Move out to the country where houses are cheap. You don't need the big 3bed/2bath mansion anymore - sell it. Move down to something small and easy to maintain. Cut your lifestyle to the bare minimum. With the money you save, do what you love - travel, write books, whatever!

That is what my grandpa did and it seems like he is always on vacation.
This really says it all,just scale down and enjoy life...this is very true..

Old 06-04-2008, 12:08 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,273,774 times
It seems that in the past it was assumed you worked to 65 then had a pension ans SS. I have had an awareness lately of people working to that age then promptly expiring. An article that really brought it home for me was an analysis of the average payout of pension checks in a large aerospace company (my field) and it had two converging columns of retirement age vs. death age. Something like retire at 49 and look forward to living to 83, retire at 65 and drop off by 67. My/our plan is to retire ASAP. I will be about 50 and wife a bit older. Sell bone-crunching giant mortgage big house in super expensive area and move to smaller house with no mortgage in less expensive area. Both have medical coverage for at least 10 years. Be able to generate about $75K/year. My pension should kick in for a raise in 10 years and SS a couple years later. Found this forum to help figure out where to go.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 AM

11 posts, read 69,331 times
Plan to spend my last days working. Will probably die at my desk.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs_on_hogs View Post
Plan to spend my last days working. Will probably die at my desk.
You'll have plenty of company.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,127,969 times
All I can say is if you have the chance to retire in good health take it.
Sometimes you have to break tradition and think outside the box,I know everyone's case is different,just my opinion,but to me life is too short
to be taken for granted...

Old 06-10-2008, 04:32 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I agree coartist88, I retired at 60 due to a little arm twisting from my employer. Who was going to hire me at 60? I got my LH SS and my retirement. Moved to a small town, bought a small older house with the money I made off of my house in FL. I buy food from a food network once a month that last me for the month if not longer.

I am lucky I get health ins from my employer but it has gone up at least $20 a month every year.
Not a lot but that is $80 a month I would have gotten, but you have to have health ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement