Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times

Advertisements

Keeper, we found ourselves in the same position. My husband has been working for a number of years as an agent of change for companies who have to improve their bottom line.

The only problem is that after 3 years or so once DH has done just that for them, his job is over. The last one was at 62 years old. Where do you go from there?

He decided he was done with the ratrace and wanted to take early retirement. We felt that we could easily manage that, sell the big house and move closer to family where the COL was lower.

BOOM! The housing market fell apart, so here we are 2 years later still trying to sell that big house, no closer to family, paying way too much for everything in our metro area and using our retirement savings to live on - about 3 yrs. before we wanted.

But, cutting back on the trips, dinners out, new cars, etc. we are making it work and have found that we are not missing much at all. We have cut our expenses, even with a mortgage, about 35 % over the last 2 yrs. and are kind of enjoying the challenge of seeing how far we can push it even lower.

Where there is the will - or necessity - it can be done and without too much pain if you work with what you've got.

Anyone want a "too big" house outside of Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Anyone want a "too big" house outside of Atlanta?
I'll trade you a Super-pimped Humvee for it with a full tank of gas!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
I am also trying to find the best place to retire on $2K per month SS. Anyone got any ideas where I need go move.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieBlu View Post
I am also trying to find the best place to retire on $2K per month SS. Anyone got any ideas where I need go move.
Is Arkansas an expensive area?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I live in AL on less than 2K a month. Of course, it is a small town but you can still find a all brick older home in the 80K range and sometimes less. Not brand new or fancy but in a nice neighborhood. Rent here is also amazingly cheap. Apts start at $325.00 for a 1bd/1ba a month in a nice complex. I rarely drive over 3 miles for anything.
I also buy food from Angel food network, a box of food cost $30.00 worth $60.00 which last me a month or more. I then only buy staples and dog/cat food and then more dog food.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-13-2008 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: added

Old 06-13-2008, 07:43 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
gemkeeper.. I know housing market has gotten a little better in FL. so there is hope.

Funny thing is at first after I sold my house, I thought, I should have asked for more especially since the house across the street from me sold for $20K more if you deduct the realtor fee. I am glad I didn't hold out now, with my luck I would still be sitting in FL waiting to sell paying a monthly mgt

Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Some can live on social security alone, but many who have to, live in poverty. According to the Boston College Center for Retirement Research, those most vulnerable are women who have no husband. 28.2% of them live in poverty in retirement, whether they are single, divorced, or widowed.

I think it's shameful that we don't have more services for retired women who have to choose between heat and food. I see them out of the streets, too, and it breaks my heart.

What a screwed-up society we are.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'll trade you a Super-pimped Humvee for it with a full tank of gas!
I recommend you waiting a few weeks. Nowadays a house is a depreciating asset (like the Humvee), but the gas is an appreciating asset.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieBlu View Post
Same here. I don't know but here is what I take into consideration: state tax structure (do they tax SS income?); property taxes (important if you don't rent); will doctors in the area accept new Medicare patients?

These are all important factors on a fixed income.

It might be very tough in the US on $2000 a month. You may want to look into Panama where the COL and health care cost is lower.

Good luck to us both!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Some can live on social security alone, but many who have to, live in poverty. According to the Boston College Center for Retirement Research, those most vulnerable are women who have no husband. 28.2% of them live in poverty in retirement, whether they are single, divorced, or widowed.

I think it's shameful that we don't have more services for retired women who have to choose between heat and food. I see them out of the streets, too, and it breaks my heart.

What a screwed-up society we are.
I agree with you Sal. I think it would be far better to forego the Obama "world poverty tax" that the house and senate are working on that would tax each American family $8 grand, and help our own for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement