Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Advertisements

Gee, some of you all have so much more money than I do. I will only have a pension of about $51,000 plus SS. I don't have a mortgage because I was able to pay that off. Where would I be able to live if I just trade my tiny Long Island home for one of equal value ? I was thinking that I would like to move to Portland , Oregon, but worry that I mght not have enough money. I do not want to greet people in Walmart, really.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, ala Jerry Seinfeld.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
WoW !!!
$51k + SS should do fine in PDX. There are always lots of panhandlers at intersections, but plenty more space available. I hear they do much better than WalMart greeters, and it is 'tax-free', for those on the sly. PDX police are coming down a bit hard on the doorway sleepers, so if things get tough you might need to go to the rescue mission. BTW you can get bigger shopping carts at Target or Costco if you end up living under a bridge (there are lots of them in PDX)

Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
My pension is equal to fulltime minimum wage, maybe $13k/year.

My wife works part-time, and we have an investment portfolio. We took a big chunk of money out of our portfolio to buy land for our retirement and to begin building a home.

Otherwise our annual income [including my pension] is less than $30k.

My gross is much more, but most of it is rental income, which goes to paying off that mortgage and insurance and repairs and utilities and junk. It builds equity, but we don't pocket any money from it. Mostly it shows a huge loss each year.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
GregandVicky,
Curious where you're living in the US on $44,000/yr. I'll be living off that, too and can't decide what state to retire to.
Arizona, reasonable housing and reasonable property taxes.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Arizona, reasonable housing and reasonable property taxes.

I hope this is not correct:

Arizona Property Tax - Compute Arizona Real Estate Tax

"Computing Arizona's Property Tax -
It's difficult to say how much your real estate taxe bill will be, because that depends on where you live. Cities, schools, water districts, community colleges, bond issues--all these determine your specific tax rate. The tax rate applicable to each parcel of property is the sum of the state, county, municipal, school, and special district rates. The average tax rate on homes in Arizona before exemptions and rebates is approximately 1.3% of market value or 13% of assessed value. So, if your home is assessed with a Full Cash Value of $350,000, and your property tax rate was exactly at the average 1.3%, then you'd be paying $4,550 per year in real estate tax on your home. "

13% of the assessed value is extremely high!

1% of the assessed value is high.

My property tax mil rate is 0.00842

0.8%

Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I hope this is not correct:

Arizona Property Tax - Compute Arizona Real Estate Tax

"Computing Arizona's Property Tax -
It's difficult to say how much your real estate taxe bill will be, because that depends on where you live. Cities, schools, water districts, community colleges, bond issues--all these determine your specific tax rate. The tax rate applicable to each parcel of property is the sum of the state, county, municipal, school, and special district rates. The average tax rate on homes in Arizona before exemptions and rebates is approximately 1.3% of market value or 13% of assessed value. So, if your home is assessed with a Full Cash Value of $350,000, and your property tax rate was exactly at the average 1.3%, then you'd be paying $4,550 per year in real estate tax on your home. "

13% of the assessed value is extremely high!

1% of the assessed value is high.

My property tax mil rate is 0.00842

0.8%
1.3% is probably the rate.

It is not high compared to Texas where property taxes generally range from 2% to 3.7%. The taxes on the place I had in Texas were 2.3% of appraised value so I was not too upset to pay 1.1% on my new place here in Washington.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Nancythereader. You would do fine in AZ and there are plenty of housing choices right now with the market being such as it is. The home you have now sounds so charming, I would stay put.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

It is not high compared to Texas where property taxes generally range from 2% to 3.7%. The taxes on the place I had in Texas were 2.3% of appraised value so I was not too upset to pay 1.1% on my new place here in Washington.
Yes, the town to the East of me is 'Alton' and they charge 1.6%. The town to the South of me is 'Old Town' and they charge 2.4%

Old 11-16-2007, 12:53 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Again, I ask how people who retire prior to Medicare age handle the health insurance issue?
I have talked to people who have retiree health insurance, which I will never have.Maybe that's it? Paying out of pocket for years and years seems extremely expensive. A neighbor of mine pays for his insurance, wife and two kids, good coverage, and it's $1200/month, and I think he belongs to a small business group or something.
Might I ask how people handle this?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

Same thing here. Texas and Az home same value, Texas taxes $3200 a year, Arizona taxes $1400 a year.Pinal County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement