Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ladies, will you (or do you) rent or own your residence when you retire?
Rent 15 20.55%
Own 58 79.45%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Nasty nasty It was free rent, baby
Had you had your own place before that?
IOW, did you have to get rid of things or tote much along with you and how long would the average stay be?
We ran into a couple last year that would rent houses that were on the market (for lower rent rates) and they lugged half a garage full of stuff that they would 'collect; (or buy) to resell...so making a living doing the whole thing
In their case,I think they said a year was the longest they had been able to stay.
Glad I had time to edit to add another question.
Did staying in different houses have much or anything to do with what you selected for a house when you bought one?

Last edited by old_cold; 08-20-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 04:38 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Had you had your own place before that?
IOW, did you have to get rid of things or tote much along with you and how long would the average stay be?
We ran into a couple last year that would rent houses that were on the market (for lower rent rates) and they lugged half a garage full of stuff that they would 'collect; (or buy) to resell...so making a living doing the whole thing
In their case,I think they said a year was the longest they had been able to stay.
I had very little - nice LR & BR furniture - no garage stuff since they took care of the mowing. I was a renter before that. Time spent at each spot differed to maybe 1 month to a couple months.

AND I had 3 dogs - 2 afghans & a cocker It's not what you know - it's who you know I think the afghans sold the houses - they were gorgeous.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:52 PM

Oh yeah!Those are beautiful dogs!

Maybe my edit didn't show up soon enough for you to see it.
"Repeat"
Did staying in different houses have much or anything to do with what you selected for a house when you bought one?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Oh yeah!Those are beautiful dogs!

Maybe my edit didn't show up soon enough for you to see it.
"Repeat"
Interesting question - actually no. I was influenced some what by comments from the realtors. Since they were friends I got the insider info on what was wrong (floor plan, etc...) with different houses - what was considered good and what was considered bad. Now - it's totally outdated.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Nasty nasty It was free rent, baby
I'm sure it was, for you.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Being that this is the first time to see this....what is this "attacked' bit?
Isn't that a bit harsh?
Suggesting that reading the title of a thread is sufficient makes one wonder why anybody would bother posting responses, considering the fact that nobody may read anything more than the title.

So, is disagreeing with you on this considered an attack??
You are completely misreading me.

I was explaining that I voted in the poll first (based on the thread title) and then subsequently read the OP and a good part of the thread, including someone who attacked Curmudgeon. I am in a hurry right now, so I am not going to go back and look for the attack. (Perhaps it has been taken down?)

I have never, ever felt that someone disagreeing with me is an attack in any way, and for you to even suggest that is insulting in the extreme. No one attacked me (except you above); I was talking about an attack on Curmudgeon which was made before I even posted anything in this thread.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
We have rented since we have been together but we do not want to be tied to any place for a while yet and renting is the best option for us. Before it is all said and done we may end up selling everything and travel in our motor home, who knows.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
Reading this thread reminds me -- be sure you have a 'godparent' for your pets. Whether it is for a time in the hospital or the final accounting, look for someone to take them if you can't care for them.

You don't want your cherished critters winding up in a shelter.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 AM

Oh my....attacks where there are none...insults where there are none...
think I'll wander over to P&C where cooler heads prevail!

Umbria's experience in being able to 'test drive' so many houses is an enviable one.
Too bad actually staying for a week or so in different places.....especially apts.... isn't possible to order to 'try them out'. It might help lessen the noisy-neighbor, horrible landlord complaints.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Oh my....attacks where there are none...insults where there are none...
think I'll wander over to P&C where cooler heads prevail!
Hope you get to feeling better soon. Please DM me if I can help you in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement