Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,656 times

Advertisements

Pullman is one of the few cities that provides transportation within the city to wherever you want to go for whatever purpose. It is 40 cents to each destination. This means a lot when neither husband nor wife want to or are safe to drive. It means even more to a single spouse. Except in the summer and holidays it operates until 12:30a.m. daily and longer on Saturday, so you can go to concerts, theatre, entertainment, morning, noon, and night. You can go out to lunch, and to the grocery store. Only Shopko and a few other stores are here but Wal-Mart is coming, and we're working on a full mall at the borderline of Moscow and Pullman. There is a full mall at that Moscow borderline but the service, called Dial-A-Ride does not go outside of Pullman. You can get plenty of student help at $10 an hour and it is the best I have ever had. If you do have a car, there are plenty of entertainment events at the University of Idaho in Moscow, ID. Pullman has a bad-looking "main" street called Grand Avenue because most of it is owned by the railroad and they have their tracks and cars there that they don't use any more. But we're working on that too. WSU has lots of teams and games. So does U of Idaho. Anywhere you go, if you smile, you'll get a smile. There is no way you'll have as many friends as the oldtimers here because they've lived here all their lives, but more and more people are coming from all over the world including all of America. There are several developments built for retired people to purchase, but unfortunately not to rent. There are plenty of student rentals that usually run tops at $600 for a 2-bedroom. Pullman was recently poll-rated high as a good place to retire. Senator Susan Collins of Maine brought it up in the Senate after she was in a small town where they have this kind of transportation system for the elderly. If the elderly can't afford to purchase living quarters and can live independently, they can rent one of the many apartments. Cheers, Dac Gullicksen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullicksen View Post
Pullman is one of the few cities that provides transportation within the city to wherever you want to go for whatever purpose. It is 40 cents to each destination. ... ... If the elderly can't afford to purchase living quarters and can live independently, they can rent one of the many apartments. Cheers, Dac Gullicksen
Pullman gets my vote, as I would live in onecho (just west) if my other half was a 'prairie rat' as I am... been trying to change that mindset for 20 yrs... (it's brown and dusty, and NO trees). I always point out the couple trees next to the mobile home... but no luck yet. What does it cost to lap swim and to attend (senior audit) classes at WSU?

What would taxes on an average home or condo in Pullman be? (what is mil rate?)

Hopefully not what we are paying on the 'we t-side' of the cascades. I am feeling it would be best to rent if choosing to retire in WA, (especially with current legislation, like NO super-majority required for school bonds ) )or to own a commercial building with an apartment and charge the business tenants 'triple-net' (including taxes).

How is the commercial real estate market in Pullman?, or does everyone shop in Moscow to get a better deal on sales taxes. (but not as good as deal as the Vancouver folks get in PDX... = zero ST) Having Moscow close would be of great advantage, as they have a really nice campus, and lots more arts and concerts, and a good place to get bio-diesel and RV education

Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Yes, what's Pullman like ? And, where on earth is Puyallup, Washington? How do you pronounce that town....pull-you-all-up????)

Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Pu wall up

Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Pu wall up
location = suburb of Tacoma, SE of their port, home of WA State Fair

Old 11-23-2007, 02:20 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
thanks, as always. I always see that name, but I never knew how to say it.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Pu wall up
actually... Pu WALL up,

just to help you out a tad more

Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Actually, it's closer to

pyoo WALL up

Old 11-28-2007, 03:50 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
*laughs* ...well we're getting closer.

Being a western Washington native, I've always pronounced it

pyoo AL up

Merriam-Webster Pronunciation

Oh, and Pullman and Puyallup are in totally different locations in Washington. The climate and terrain are both drastically different.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:56 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullicksen View Post
Pullman is one of the few cities that
if i knew i had to retire in pullman washington honestly i would run off the edge of a cliff screaming. I lived there 3 years and my sanity finally returned when I moved out. When my children moved there my eldest at age 14 went to his room in the basement shut the door and said "I am counting the days until I can move out of this ***** town" which he did and he did.

One day I randomly was searching the internet, seriously contemplating joining the Peace Corps to get out of there (I was 43 at the time) and what quote appeared on my screen, but this one, a quote from a Pullman woman who said "I knew I just had to get out of Pullman Washington or I would lose my mind."

What didn't I like? Too conservative, too racially UNdiverse and INtolerant unless you are a white Christian, too far of a drive to get from there to anywhere I wanted to go. And I am not a big city girl! I love living in small towns, I love simple beauty of nature, I love a quiet life. But Pullman....AAAAAAAAAgh

Take a glance at the first post, that big, long, unbroken block of gray type that just puts me to sleep....that's how I felt living in Pullman Washington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement