Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I hope to find some groups to join, but so far the groups I have sat in with spent way too much time:
  • Complaining about anything and everything, often without knowing what they were talking about to begin with (politics, technology, younger people, religion, weather),
  • About their (poor) health, their kids/grand kids - a little goes a long way IMO, and/or
  • Reminiscing about the past. A little of that is welcome, but I am more interested in what's to come, not what's already done. Boring...
YMMV
From my groups, this kind of kvetching is the exception not the rule.

If someone expresses the fact that they are having difficulty keeping up with computers or the latest technologies, there are people who suggest a class they can take, or even offer to help with that particular problem.

The groups are meant to be support groups ... not gripe sessions.

There's always someone who knows which businesses have senior discounts, how to score free senior tickets to a concert or play, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,404,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

If someone expresses the fact that they are having difficulty keeping up with computers or the latest technologies, there are people who suggest a class they can take, or even offer to help with that particular problem.

There's always someone who knows which businesses have senior discounts, how to score free senior tickets to a concert or play, and so on.
And I hope to find such a group, no luck so far, but I am sure they're out there...

Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

That is the kind of group I would take an active interest in. What day/time do you meet, save me a seat.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile A few.....

OK, I'm a joiner - love people and their stories.

I belong to a couple of book groups - one in my neighborhood which meets once a month and one through a women's organization I belong to. Ages range from 40's to 70's usually. If some over 79, they sure disguise it very well but a couple might be. I'm always in awe of the intellect and the experiences these women bring to the table.

My husband and I also belong to a small group from our church. There's now about 19 of us ranging in age from 35 to 85. Great, wonderful people from all walks of life; great support; meet once a week but we also meet when we can for fun! We're there for each other also.

We also volunteer at our church but eventually, we'll volunteer our time for our 4-legged friends who give so much. (and they don't talk back either).

Old 08-26-2013, 08:20 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
[quote=Bette;31144001]OK, I'm a joiner - love people and their stories.

I belong to a couple of book groups - one in my neighborhood which meets once a month and one through a women's organization I belong to. Ages range from 40's to 70's usually. If some over 79, they sure disguise it very well but a couple might be. I'm always in awe of the intellect and the experiences these women bring to the table.

My husband and I also belong to a small group from our church. There's now about 19 of us ranging in age from 35 to 85. Great, wonderful people from all walks of life; great support; meet once a week but we also meet when we can for fun! We're there for each other also.

We also volunteer at our church but eventually, we'll volunteer our time for our 4-legged friends who give so much. (and they don't talk back either).[/quote]

I volunteered for a no kill animal shelter for nearly 3 years where I fostered and found homes for 12 dogs. It is a lot of work - many have been abused and even those that weren't were so sad that they were parted from their families - tough to watch them grieve.

Many hours were spent driving to potential new homes and interviewing those families, vet appointments, training, etc...

It was all worth it. I will most likely start something similar when I relocate.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Thank you....

Umbria:
Thanks for caring for our 4-legged friends who cannot speak for themselves. I just am an avid dog lover.

They are truly truly my stress relievers.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And I hope to find such a group, no luck so far, but I am sure they're out there...
It can be frustrating. The groups that advertise and are easy to find sometimes also attract people you don't really want to socialize with. Or they just aren't the right fit for you. The best groups seem to be the ones that don't advertise, and they can be hard to find. Usually you find out about them because someone tells you about it.

I have the same frustration with internet forums. For years city-data was a great fit for me, but apparently it's not anymore. And that's cool--I have absolutely no interest in fighting about it, I just want to move on and find that place where I am welcome. I need a forum where people want to discuss what retirees do in their everyday lives, and since I enjoy taking daily photos, a forum where I can post photos as part of the regular threads. I really don't want to post my photos in a separate art gallery sticky, I see myself more as a journalist, and I want to use them to make points in various thread topics and as a contribution to conversation.

I know such forums exist, but it looks like I need help finding a good place for me. Ironically, years ago I was invited to join exactly the sort of forum I'm now seeking, but back then I was too young to talk about retirement. And now I can't find that group anymore. As Midpack has found with the social clubs, internet forums are not always easy to find. So, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone here has a suggestion. If so, please DM me. I don't want to start a blog, I want a forum that has already been started. A place where 55+ people gather to discuss life in retirement, and would enjoy seeing my photos.

Meanwhile, hang in there Midpack--sooner or later you'll find the right social group, and I'll find the right forum. In the meantime, the best you and I can do is make do with what we've found so far. So what it what we have right now isn't the right fit--something is better than nothing, right? Sooner or later, we'll find that place with a better fit. I know it's out there for both of us, we just have to keep asking and somebody is bound to know where it is.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
I would think that one of the benefits of checking out a social group for seniors and/or retirees is if it a mixed group and you are single or widowed, it might be possible to find a new mate or friend. After all, at this point in our lives who wants to get involved in the "bar scene"?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

I have the same frustration with internet forums. For years city-data was a great fit for me, but apparently it's not anymore. And that's cool--I have absolutely no interest in fighting about it, I just want to move on and find that place where I am welcome. I need a forum where people want to discuss what retirees do in their everyday lives, and since I enjoy taking daily photos, a forum where I can post photos as part of the regular threads. I really don't want to post my photos in a separate art gallery sticky, I see myself more as a journalist, and I want to use them to make points in various thread topics and as a contribution to conversation.

A place where 55+ people gather to discuss life in retirement, and would enjoy seeing my photos.
Why don't you continue doing what you were doing before - posting daily with narratives? Many were enjoying it and some started to get engaged. I believe that is what the sticky is for.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Why don't you continue doing what you were doing before - posting daily with narratives? Many were enjoying it and some started to get engaged. I believe that is what the sticky is for.

The art/photo gallery (sticky) can easily accommodate narrative. I do not believe there is any restriction on posting comments in that thread. That sticky solves the potential problem of overloading any of the other threads with too much graphics/photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement