Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times

Advertisements

At what age did you begin to plan in earnest for retirement? I'm 48 and it seems to occupy an inordinate amount time in my thoughts...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Age 19 is when i started and i am retiring in a year or so with all goals met.

If you mean when did i switch gears in planning and investment style for retirement that was in 2007 . I tried to leave a 5 year period for a glide path into retirement.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
When I got my first pension statement followed by my next SS. Wasn't much but it was a clue

Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When I got my first pension statement followed by my next SS. Wasn't much but it was a clue
I guess i'm not strictly talking monetarily but where you want to live or move to (if applicable) paring down possessions, etc. I've got the $$ thing down pat, just the other stuff i am curious about.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
Started working full-time at age 20 and saving for retirement at age 22. Saw too many relatives that did not plan well and I did not want to follow that path. The "live for today and then retire broke" plan did not make much sense to me.

Hit the library and brought home every book they had on investing. Started with the "Investment Company of America". This was back in 1982. Now I don't have "load" mutual funds but this was pre-internet and back then I think that was all I could find, or at least that was what I trusted.

I hope to retire in two years when I turn 55. I have pretty much stuck to the original plan but the market has been wilder than I had ever dreamed it would be. The "Tech Wreck" was brutal, but I did recover, it took at least five years and it felt like forever.

I would say I think about it every day, more so since I hit 50.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
I started working on the "where" about four years before my retirement. That gave me plenty of time to visit all of my possible retirement locales during vacation time. Glad to hear you've got the financial planning taken care of. Not only will that serve you well when you retire, but it will help you decide what you can afford to do as you think about the "where".

And I started getting rid of things I didn't want to move about three years before I retired. It seemed I was taking a trip to Goodwill about every other week! And I found that I stopped shopping for new stuff -- clothes, towels, dishes etc. -- at about the same time. After retirement and the move to a new state I enjoyed shopping for my new home, but interestingly enough, now that that is done, I find myself much less inclined to add clutter to my life and my much smaller home. It feels good.

Last edited by KiwiKate; 10-28-2013 at 06:54 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I guess i'm not strictly talking monetarily but where you want to live or move to (if applicable) paring down possessions, etc. I've got the $$ thing down pat, just the other stuff i am curious about.
Southern California will be too expensive to retire in, we have been working on that part the past three years. We spend vacations checking out places. Have not made a final decision yet, but have narrowed it down to a few places in Arizona and Nevada, and can visit CA on a regular basis without paying the high taxes. CA is really great to visit but living here is just too expensive especially by the coast which is where we live.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I started working on the "where" about four years before my retirement. That gave me plenty of time to visit all of my possible retirement locales during vacation time. Glad to hear you've got the financial planning taken care of. Not only will that serve you well when you retire, but it will help you decide what you can afford to do as you think about the "where".

And I started getting rid of things I didn't want to move about three years before I retired. It seemed I was taking a trip to Goodwill about every other week! And I found that I stopped shopping for new stuff -- clothes, towels, dishes etc. -- at about the same time. After retirement and the move to a new state I enjoyed shopping for my new home, but interestingly enough, now that that is done, I find myself much less inclined to add clutter to my life and my much smaller home. It feels good.
Thanks for your thoughts! I see you're in Henderson , that's where my brother lives and my wife would love to retire out there. Too far from the ocean for me though!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Started working full-time at age 20 and saving for retirement at age 22. Saw too many relatives that did not plan well and I did not want to follow that path. The "live for today and then retire broke" plan did not make much sense to me.

Hit the library and brought home every book they had on investing. Started with the "Investment Company of America". This was back in 1982. Now I don't have "load" mutual funds but this was pre-internet and back then I think that was all I could find, or at least that was what I trusted.

I hope to retire in two years when I turn 55. I have pretty much stuck to the original plan but the market has been wilder than I had ever dreamed it would be. The "Tech Wreck" was brutal, but I did recover, it took at least five years and it felt like forever.

I would say I think about it every day, more so since I hit 50.

Do you even for a moment think you're checking out too early? 55 is pretty young and healthcare is expensive if you get sick...

Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Saving for retirement started in earnest - (we had to shovel money to catch up) when we were in our mid-40's - over the baby chase (we couldn't have them) and so we turned our efforts to ourselves.

But preparing for it - thinking about our future - started much earlier - leaving California to live in a place where not every cent went to living expenses and housing - probably 10 years earlier - when we were married in our mid-30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement