Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,333,234 times

Advertisements

There's so much concern on these boards for our adult children, death and dying, Medicare, etc. that I thought I'd address things from a rebellious stance.

What's left for you to accomplish? What shocking mark do you want to leave on your legacy, if anything? Are you content with your grannypanty image? Yup, I'll be told that I'm disrespectful. Ha, for sure! Toll house cookie baker, rocking chair commander? You think the kids/grandkids MUST flock to you because you believe you earned this respect simply by giving birth and raising them?

1)I'm promising myself a tattoo before 2014. Nothing shocking, just a small peace sign somewhere indiscreet. 2)I'm going to set up college funds for my two grandsons. I might not be here when they graduate from HS so what better loving legacy? 3)I'm going to write a book of poems using my young grandsons' artwork as illustration, again what better legacy? 4)We're going to Europe, Italy specifically, and we'll document their heritage with photos and journals.

I want to be remembered as the grandma with a sense of fun, whatever it takes. I read somewhere (a long time ago) that if you want to keep your grandkids interested then be interesting. I remember taking my young son to visit my boring parents and he'd be chin-in-hand bored, rolling his eyes back in his head. Sorry, but my parents earned this.

So, what are you doing for yourself? I ask this because what you do for yourself makes you more interesting to those around you. You can't just be a grandma/grandpa who makes a mean apple pie and expect the love to flow in.

I'm waaaay past looking to this board as a popularity meter. If you think I'm rude or base then so be it.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,320,612 times
Ok, so you're adding grandchildren to the list of adult children, death and dying, medicare etc. That seems essentially it.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,452,188 times
I like this thread--it's better than the depressing threads although they all have their place. I bet you'll be remembered as a grandma of fun if you work at it--sounds like you're determined. As an example, I had a gram who would play cards and other games and she loved it. She was also interested in everything we did (and she always had an opinion) but she was really fun. One time on vacation when we were being put to bed her immortal words were, "Oh let them stay up! They're on vacation!!"

I don't have that many goals. I am going to England again, that's been a big theme in my life from early childhood. For me it's to touch base and to feel at home for a while and to see some areas I haven't seen yet. If dh can reconnect with his adult kids while there, that will be a plus.

I want to finish the family history as much as possible and get it distributed to family members. No grandchildren or children so maybe that's why there isn't that much to do. Just nieces and kids of cousins.

I would like to help get some local history taught in the schools in this town. We have such important history here yet local history isn't even being taught anymore. I've just gotten involved in this project with another former teacher who agrees with me. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:16 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,507,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
There's so much concern on these boards for our adult children, death and dying, Medicare, etc. that I thought I'd address things from a rebellious stance.

What's left for you to accomplish? What shocking mark do you want to leave on your legacy, if anything? Are you content with your grannypanty image? Yup, I'll be told that I'm disrespectful. Ha, for sure! Toll house cookie baker, rocking chair commander? You think the kids/grandkids MUST flock to you because you believe you earned this respect simply by giving birth and raising them?

1)I'm promising myself a tattoo before 2014. Nothing shocking, just a small peace sign somewhere indiscreet. 2)I'm going to set up college funds for my two grandsons. I might not be here when they graduate from HS so what better loving legacy? 3)I'm going to write a book of poems using my young grandsons' artwork as illustration, again what better legacy? 4)We're going to Europe, Italy specifically, and we'll document their heritage with photos and journals.

I want to be remembered as the grandma with a sense of fun, whatever it takes. I read somewhere (a long time ago) that if you want to keep your grandkids interested then be interesting. I remember taking my young son to visit my boring parents and he'd be chin-in-hand bored, rolling his eyes back in his head. Sorry, but my parents earned this.

So, what are you doing for yourself? I ask this because what you do for yourself makes you more interesting to those around you. You can't just be a grandma/grandpa who makes a mean apple pie and expect the love to flow in.

I'm waaaay past looking to this board as a popularity meter. If you think I'm rude or base then so be it.

Happy Thanksgiving!
When you go get that tattoo make sure you don't get hepatitis too.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,754,782 times
I want Johnny Depp to put his shoes under my bed and then spoon me.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,333,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I want Johnny Depp to put his shoes under my bed and then spoon me.
I so love this!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,801,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
...So, what are you doing for yourself? I ask this because what you do for yourself makes you more interesting to those around you. You can't just be a grandma/grandpa who makes a mean apple pie and expect the love to flow in.
Sorry, I don't get it. What I'm doing for myself has nothing to do with my grandkids. If they want to visit, kewl. If they don't, that's kewl too. As long as I continue to live at the beach, I suspect my popularity ratings with them will stay up.

What I'm doing for myself has nothing to do with being interesting to those around me. I'll continue to fish, dance, drink, read, think, photograph, kayak, nap, and all the other little things I do, only because they're what I want to do. I thought that's what retirement was supposed to be about. They have nothing to do with my grandkids or those around me. If it did, I wouldn't be doing them for myself.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,906,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
What I'm doing for myself has nothing to do with being interesting to those around me.
I agree. My goal is to get back entirely to myself—returning to publishing my writing, perhaps an online gallery of my artwork, exploring all over Maine, staying outdoors more, eschewing materialism ( except for my new car), taking a lot more time to read, and finding the right fit for volunteerism. I have no huge aspirations for fame or fortune. I am not labeling myself as a parent or grandparent, just a happy old lady. I'm a retiree, after all.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,837,799 times
I like your post and I like your attitude, Ipoetry. I am a little bit like you in that I don't mind ruffling people's feathers from time to time. Remember that time you were pretty insulting about boring people who live in 55+ communities? You got hammered big time, and I understood the hammerers at the same time I admired your spunk and understood your point of view!

Now, having said that, I believe there are quite a number of posters right here in this Retirement Forum who, like you, advocate and practice a retirement life style which is vital, fulfilling, unconventional, and keeps them young at heart. So unless I am off-base about that, there ought to be many of us who can relate to the provocative thread title.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,507,100 times
I am still trying to figure out what kind of child would not like their grandparents. Ours seem to like us no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement