Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:17 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

After 20 years in the US military, James Cummiskey was divorced and looking for a change. Relenting to his buddy's request, he flew to Medellín, Colombia, for a visit. He looked, he saw, and, by dinner time, he decided to stay. Permanently.

"After four to five hours, I was immediately captured by everything I saw," says the ex-marine, who has lived in 35 countries. He spent the next four months selling two homes, three vehicles, two motorcycles, and one airplane. He put the money aside and decided to retire early.

Why American baby boomers are retiring in Latin America | The Raw Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,038 times
I've been reading blogs and social media groups about this for a couple of years. Many of the expats complain that the countries aren't cheaper because the expats are charged "gringo prices".

No one will answer my question as to what their plans are for long-term care in the event they can no longer live on their own.

None of the women will answer my questions as to how they will get along in certain countries (like Ecuador where it is not safe for a woman to travel alone) if they become widowed.

My husband, who is retired from military service, worries that Americans congregated in cities outside of the USA will eventually be targets for terrorists and will not have any protection from the governing country that they live in. He worries about corrupt police and no protection from criminals. When I have asked the expats about the corruption they laugh and say it is true. When I ask about being targets of crime they tell me they just have to stay inside at night and have bars on their doors and windows and cut glass and barbed wire on the walls surrounding their homes. When I ask if this bothers them they don't respond.

There is a blogger who boasts that he moved to a country where he can buy his high blood pressure medication OTC and he hasn't been to see a doctor in 3 years. I have written to ask how he knows that his medication is real, and that he is taking the right dosage and whether or not he needs an adjustment to his medication, or even if the medication is causing harm. He didn't respond to that question.

I continue to read the blogs and the more I read the more questions I have.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I've been I continue to read the blogs and the more I read the more questions I have.
All part-and-parcel of why I never gave expatriation in retirement a thought. Besides, I served this country for many years in the military and didn't do so just to turn around and leave it in my later years. I like it here just fine, it's been good to me and my family and "deserting" it was never on the table.

What I find about many expatriates online is that they are constantly touting how fine their lives are in whatever country they landed in to the extent that I rather suspect they're trying to convince themselves even more than they're trying to convince others.

Having spent years living in several other countries I have always enjoyed the experiences but in the final analysis, there's no place like home! America, you're simply stuck with me.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
LookingatFL -

I would tend to agree with most of your points. MOST of the people featured in these "articles" are very early retirees. I have a feeling that you would get a much different view in 20-30 years when the person in 80+.

Currently, a lot of Latin American countries are incentivizing US citizens to relocate there. However, is no guarantee that the political atmosphere will remain stable very long.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Frankly the most common reason is they are looking for a cheaper place where they become the patron.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Frankly the most common reason is they are looking for a cheaper place where they become the patron.
Or in the case of Mexico a cheaper place to drink the Patron!

Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
I can definitely see the draw of living in a warm beautiful place where it's relatively inexpensive to live. The question is, does reality meet the hype?

If I were in my late 60's, retired and living in a typical suburban house, I'd consider it. (Consider being the operative word).

Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post

No one will answer my question as to what their plans are for long-term care in the event they can no longer live on their own.
I understand your concern, but you may not be aware that many countries have excellent medical services. I mention one that I have personal experience with: Bangkok's hospitals especially Bumrungrad Hospital which is one of the best in world and foreigners flock to for first rate treatment. It is better than 90% of the hospitals in the US, and their surgery services are up-to-the-minute and state-of-the-art. I think that is one reason why many Westerners retire to Thailand.

A friend of mine retired closer to home: the Dominican Republic. He claims his health care treatment is first rate. On the other hand, I find the petty crime and power outages in Santo Domingo a little disconcerting. Still, not a bad choice for retirement (I'm told the crime in Panama is worse).

Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 PM

813 posts, read 1,132,838 times
I thought it was one of the better balanced articles I have read and it was not touting anyone particular country.
Medellin (having some of the worlds prettiest women) has long been an attractive destination for divorced guys (especially ex military and Police). If I had not meet my wife in Peru, I would imagine I would be there as I have met many guys who ended up doing just that.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:12 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,038 times
A hospital is not the same as long-term care. I am asking about nursing homes, in-home care, assisted living programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement