Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times

Advertisements

Normie - there is no other solution to improving clay soil other than the addition of lots of organic material over a long period of time. You assume that my soil is not as bad as other clay soils - not sure why you would assume that. You can actually make adobe bricks out the soil in my area.

The answer to most soil problems is the addition of copious amounts of organic material - whether it be sandy or clay soil - that is the solution - it may take more than a lifetime to actually radically change soil composition, but it is possible to improve the soil greatly if you are diligent in deeply digging and watering in organic compost and my favorite organic addition 100% pure worm castings.

I am an organic gardener with clay soil...this picture was taken a few weeks ago.
[IMG][/IMG]

These orange zinnias which are still going strong originated from one 6-pack plant (1/6th of a 6-pack).

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Cattknap; 11-25-2007 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Sounds like you will create a beautiful garden wherever you go. Enjoy!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:45 PM
djd djd started this thread

11 posts, read 27,087 times
I’ve come to the conclusion that overall California is becoming a socially humanistic society and the only place left where God, family and country are still venerated is in the South. So I included the reference to Hannity and O' Reilly in my response to Marcian so she would understand that certain values were also an important part of my reason for leaving California and going to the Southeast

You could have left out the reference to blabbermouths and still made your point.

Thanks for your response.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post
I’ve come to the conclusion that overall California is becoming a socially humanistic society and the only place left where God, family and country are still venerated is in the South. So I included the reference to Hannity and O' Reilly in my response to Marcian so she would understand that certain values were also an important part of my reason for leaving California and going to the Southeast

You could have left out the reference to blabbermouths and still made your point.

Thanks for your response.
Are you saying the South is the only part of the country left that has morals and a humanistic attitude?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
No, I think he said the south is the only place left with "morals" and the humanistic S. CA is by inference immoral.

moral by his definition and by what he said, not by my definition.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
catknap, you are not only a good gardener ; you asre a great photographer.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM

70 posts, read 298,982 times
Default I grew up in SoCal - now live in SE Tennessee

Hello, DJD!

As the title says, I grew up in SoCal (Oxnard) and while I was on active duty with the Navy, was stationed in the Bay Area and also in San Diego. I loved California (what it was, but is no more). My wife and I both love living here in SE Tenn - the Tennessee Valley. We live halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga - both medium sized cities - and Atlanta is only 2 1/2 hours away for all that "big city" stuff!

I just wanted to suggest that you may wish consider a smaller city such as Cleveland, which is about 18 miles down the road toward Chattanooga from where we live. It has a population of around 45,000 and is home to Lee University - a great school originally founded as part of the Church of God, which is also headquartered in Cleveland. They say Cleveland has more churches per capita than any other city in the country and that is quite possibly true.

My wife and I too, have been "Hannitized" and consider ourselves to be card-carrying conservatives.

Right now, we both work but have suddenly found ourselves considering options as we sign-up for Medicare and Social Security! We looked at moving somewhere out of state but decided all over again that Tennessee is the best bang for the buck!

Oh, and one more thought... I'm sure you've read where locals don't much like outsiders coming to live near them. That's simply a bunch of you-know-what! It's all about attitude! I submit that if a person moves anywhere with an attitude, no one will welcome them. However, if that same person moves with an open-mind and truly wants to become part of the community, the locals will welcome you with open arms! That's one of the great things about this part of the country (besides the low cost of living) - how friendly people really can be. You'd never see that in SoCal...

Let us know of your thoughts as you continue planning - we'd be happy to answer any questions we can.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM
djd djd started this thread

11 posts, read 27,087 times
Botts,

Thanks a lot for your response. That's the kind of response I was hoping for. What you described was my experience with Fredericksburg, VA. I worked on the Aegis Program in NJ and with two retired Navy Captains in Dahlgren, VA. I've worked for a DOD contractor for the last 20 years. When we moved from NJ to Fredericksburg, VA in 1984 we did exactly what you suggested and we loved our life there. We've hoping to repeat it with a retirement to the SE. We've investigated the Cumberland area and started to think about waterfront property but it maybe outside our budget. Thanks so much for your response.

During the summer we went to the Hannity Freedom Concert in SD. The proceeds go to a college fund for deceased veterans childern. It was wonderful. There were many retired and disabled vets' there. It was a heart warming experience. I know you guys sacrifice for all of us. There is no way we can ever repay you vets for what you've done. I'm not a vet, yet I make my living off the sacrifices you guys make. I'm thankful and thank you.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
I, too, am happy in Tennessee. I love how friendly the people are and how breathtakingly beautiful the land is.
I think a lot of newcomers forget that friendliness is a two-way street. You've got to stop and slow down and give some friendliness in return. Politeness is very important in the South. People don't honk and they talk a lot, even to total strangers. Southerners love to talk, about anything and anyone, at any time, day or night. Most are great story tellers so it's fun to listen, but you've got to be willing to give some info in return and stop and listen. Southerners don't have fast forward buttons.
I think this is hard for some people who are used to not really seeing waiters and sales clerks and casual strangers as people. I grew up in Los Angeles but my mother was from Crossville, TN, so I had some southern raising. But I spent most of my life in Washington, D.C. and it's hard sometimes to drop out of that "too busy to talk" East Coast mode.
I love the South and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 PM

70 posts, read 174,159 times
I am 57 years old and have lived in Southern California all my life. I thought it would be where I died too. That was until California changed into something I no longer want to be around. My wife and I have bought land near Cookeville and in three years, we'll be where people are civil and courteous, no traffic, and beautiful country. When we visited Tennessee, I was absolutely blown away by the people that just wanted to be friendly. I knew right then that was where I was going to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement