Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:35 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,322 times

Advertisements

What a beautiful entrance Cattknap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post
I’m 59 years old and have lived in San Diego, CA for the past 19 years. I expect to retire in 5 years. Prior to San Diego, CA, I lived in Fredericksburg, VA for 6 years. Fredericksburg is a small college town, 50 miles south of Washington, DC with a population of 14,000. It is both a revolutionary and civil war town. Even though I am originally from New Jersey, my wife and I feel in love with this town. It’s a perfect garden zone # 7.

We’ve started looking for small college towns in the Southeast for retirement, nothing with a population greater than 50,000. We’re looking at the whole KY and TN area but are very excited about Bowling Green, KY right now. We’re interested in Bowling Green because it is close to Nashville and there are lots of attractions in that area.

Given the above information can anyone provide more information about cities in KY and TN that are similar to Bowling Green. Our only other requirement is the town must be within 70 miles of a national airport.
My husband and I have started looking for a place to retire to as well. We haven't had the opportunity (yet) to go to Tennessee, but we did check out Pinehurst, NC and Greenville, SC. We liked both of them very much and you might want to add them to your research. Both places were very charming and well-kept, and the people seemed very friendly. I may run up and check out Knoxville in the next couple of weeks.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
May I ask why you wouldn't retire in Fredericksburg?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Default I will let them answer but my thought is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
May I ask why you wouldn't retire in Fredericksburg?
I will find the response interesting. Fredericksburg has grown like crazy and the DC rush hour now includes them. Housing prices have skyrocketed so like many suburbanites from Maryland and Virginia they may want to take their equity and run to a place like Fredericksburg use to be. The farther from 95 you get the quieter it still is but oh boy the housing price leap.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
A friend of mine and his wife left the Bay area so she could be home with their two kids and they could buy a (modest) house. He rides the train about four hours round-trip every day to an excellent DC job. The run-up in housing prices appears long-gone, and yes, it's a long commute.
Fredericksburg sounds pleasant enough as a small city in Virginia. It's just not remotely what my friend wants in a place to live.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
djd djd started this thread

11 posts, read 27,058 times
Well hello, this is old DJD. I've been off-line for a while. I've been recovering from heart attack since Jan 12th. Maybe I'll be retiring sooner than I expected. My wife and I are beginning to think about waterfront property in East Tennessee, maybe around the Knoxville area. We'll need at a minimum 1800 SF. I won’t be able to go over $400K. Do you think I can get anything realistic in that area for that price or should I look elsewhere in Tennessee?

Is it better to purchase a lot and then build on it or to buy a lot with a house already on it?

One of my old criteria’s was to be within 50 miles of a national airport, now its 20 minutes from a cardiac center. It pays to have a sense of humor.

Thank you for your reply in advance.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,074 times
Do you have grown children in the San Diego area? If so, consider NOT moving away from them. They need your support still, not monetarily, but just have the grand parents come to their childrens school plays, or sporting events. Please reconsider how important family is - it really should be your highest priority. Remember, what goes around, comes around. If you are there for them, they will be there for you in your elderly years.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campromise View Post
Do you have grown children in the San Diego area? If so, consider NOT moving away from them. They need your support still, not monetarily, but just have the grand parents come to their childrens school plays, or sporting events. Please reconsider how important family is - it really should be your highest priority. Remember, what goes around, comes around. If you are there for them, they will be there for you in your elderly years.
All of my extended family is on the East coast. I am the only family member on the West coast. I've lived 20 years in California without extended family. We have learned to be independent and self-reliant. My wife and I have devoted ourselves 100% to our children. Grandchildren are still a long way off for us but I do appreciate you advice, thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM

Well hello, this is old DJD. I've been off-line for a while. I've been recovering from heart attack since Jan 12th. Maybe I'll be retiring sooner than I expected. My wife and I are beginning to think about waterfront property in East Tennessee, maybe around the Knoxville area. We'll need at a minimum 1800 SF. I won’t be able to go over $400K. Do you think I can get anything realistic in that area for that price or should I look elsewhere in Tennessee?

Is it better to purchase a lot and then build on it or to buy a lot with a house already on it?

One of my old criteria’s was to be within 50 miles of a national airport, now its 20 minutes from a cardiac center. It pays to have a sense of humor.

I would certainly appreciate your feedback on this.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post

I would certainly appreciate your feedback on this.

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. I happen to think my town is a stimulating town for retirees (and it's adjacent to West Knoxville) with plenty to do and near to water but why do you have to choose airport vs cardiac center? Can't you move near to an international airport, a cardiac center and live on the water somewhere in your price range?

As far as the house option goes, which would be less work for you and if you were ever laid up, for your spouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement