Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times

Advertisements

Would you consider a waterfront condo? We've got several of those in Knoxville and they aren't too far from good hospitals. We've also got some top 100 cardiac hospitals and Baptist has special cardiac emergency centers in their hospitals.
Airport is small but it's easy to get around in and security is a breeze. You can fly out of Knoxville direct to LaGuardia and Newark.
The waterfront across from downtown is being developed and they've got some gorgeous condos going in that would be in your price range. There is a nice condo complex just below the Women's basketball museum that's right on the water. Most of the "garden" condos around here include small yards and large patios and are more like houses.
There are plenty of other water options, both single family homes and developments. We've got a lot of water around Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
djd djd started this thread

11 posts, read 27,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Would you consider a waterfront condo? We've got several of those in Knoxville and they aren't too far from good hospitals. We've also got some top 100 cardiac hospitals and Baptist has special cardiac emergency centers in their hospitals.
Airport is small but it's easy to get around in and security is a breeze. You can fly out of Knoxville direct to LaGuardia and Newark.
The waterfront across from downtown is being developed and they've got some gorgeous condos going in that would be in your price range. There is a nice condo complex just below the Women's basketball museum that's right on the water. Most of the "garden" condos around here include small yards and large patios and are more like houses.
There are plenty of other water options, both single family homes and developments. We've got a lot of water around Knoxville.
Thank you for your response. I presently live in a condo in San Diego. After 20 years of living in a condo we need some breathing room. How about waterfront property 30-50 miles outside Knoxville? Is $400K too little? If we can't get waterfront then we'll consider a small rural or suburban area with less than fifty thousand people.

Can you name some counties, cities or small towns that might work for us. I can then contact their Chamber of Commerce for information?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djd View Post
Thank you for your response. I presently live in a condo in San Diego. After 20 years of living in a condo we need some breathing room. How about waterfront property 30-50 miles outside Knoxville? Is $400K too little? If we can't get waterfront then we'll consider a small rural or suburban area with less than fifty thousand people.

Can you name some counties, cities or small towns that might work for us. I can then contact their Chamber of Commerce for information?
It should be doable. We've got a lot of water around here. You'll have to look, though.
Norris might interest you. It's an old planned community from the 1930s constructed by TVA for the workers on Norris Dam. It's up in the mountains and a quick trip to Knoxville. A lot of areas around the lake are called Norris. I'm talking about the historic town of Norris.
Also look at Maryville, south of Knoxville.
There's a lot of development on Lake Cherokee -- Bean Station, Dandridge, Mooresburg. Clinton has a good sized lake.
The Island Home Community in South Knoxville might be possible. It's older with craftsman type homes. Right on the river and across from downtown. Tree-lined streets, strong sense of community, lots of parks including Ijams Nature center.
Island Home Park History - The Island Home Park Neighborhood Association (http://ihpna.net/ihphistory.html - broken link)

I love East Tennessee. California was nice, I grew up in Los Angeles. But I don't even like to visit there anymore. Too crowded, too polluted, too frenetic.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
djd djd started this thread

11 posts, read 27,087 times
Thanks for the information. Next year we intend to spend our vacation in Tennessee. Hopefully by that time we'll have a we'll a couple of areas to scout out. We’d like our retirement home to be a vacation spot for our grownup children and other relatives.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Default What about the bugs in the south?

I've been reading about all the charming towns and small cities in the SE US, and many sound very appealing for retirement. However, one thought comes to mind for those of us from the north...what about the bugs, those little critters that seem to populate the south more than the north because of longer, hotter and more humid summers and the lack of winter. How do you deal with these? I visited Savannah and Charleston last year and was amazed to see those big cockroaches on sidewalks and in hotels! These were good places, not dumps. Do you just learn to live with them or can you get rid of them in your homes? I love the south, but wonder how the locals cope.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I've been reading about all the charming towns and small cities in the SE US, and many sound very appealing for retirement. However, one thought comes to mind for those of us from the north...what about the bugs, those little critters that seem to populate the south more than the north because of longer, hotter and more humid summers and the lack of winter. How do you deal with these? I visited Savannah and Charleston last year and was amazed to see those big cockroaches on sidewalks and in hotels! These were good places, not dumps. Do you just learn to live with them or can you get rid of them in your homes? I love the south, but wonder how the locals cope.
Well, where I live, pest control comes in every few months and sprays. They did that when I lived in Maryland, too. In May, I will have been here in Tennessee a year and the only bugs I've had inside were ants when I first moved into a new building. I saw many more bugs when I lived on Long Island. And nothing beats black fly season in New Hampshire, in my opinion. Oh yeah, and although I live in the Southeast, we do have winter. We have our 20 and 30 degree days and icy roads, even if we don't get the snow accumulations. The average January low in my Tennessee town is 27.9 degrees.

I haven't seen a roach since I was 7 years old and lived in the Bronx but I know you can put a saddle on those big Florida bugs.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I have only had a few problems with sugar ants since I moved here. No roaches or palmetto bugs at all.. There are some ugly beetles outside now and then though.
I love watching the fireflies at night during the summer. We didn't have those in FL.. You can sit outside at night during the summer without the mosquitoes carrying you off.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times
Default thems not roaches - thems our pets..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post

Living in the south with the palmetto bugs (fondly known as large roaches) -

I have used one of those plug in things both in Sarasota while living there and now here in coastal Carolinah. Yes, there are huge "roach" things which people swear to me are not really roaches. I've seen them more in NC along the coast than I ever saw them in SW FL but when I do see them in the house, they are generally legs pointing to the sky, kilt dead (thanks to the zapper plug in) - I have found that spraying routinely and/or using one of these electronic things keeps bugs at bay.

For all the longer summer days and the like, there are such glorious spring and fall days, crisp winter days without being too frigid, balmy summer days that it more than makes up for the downsides of zapping bugs.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
I’ll be taking $200K out of the condo to pad my 401K.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can arbitrarily drop 200k into a ERISA-protected retirement account like a 401k. The balance in one has to be built up over a period of years with contributions from your salary, right?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Funny thing is that both the blabbermouths Hannity and O'Reilly live in New York!
Like many they live where they work is my guess.Lots of people live in new york or LA but have ther place they go when not working .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement