Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

My wreath and outside lights, snowman, and Santa Claus are in place out of the wind and have been since Thanksgiving. My inside decorating is about eighty percent complete except for the Christmas tree. I had planned to get one last weekend in the woods but the weather was vile. I plan to do it Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm thinking of having a circular train track under the tree with a little handcar ridden by S.C. I moved my animated Halloween witch figure (30" high) to a table that has three small trees. The table tableau blends the entire panoply of autumnal and winter harvest features and creatures. The little trees need more lights and decorations. I have, however, decorated my Norfolk Island Pine with pin lights.

I bought a new Christmas book, Pagan Christmas.

I've ordered Graber olives as well as some other goodies; I've made fruit cakes.

Last Saturday saw the first Christmal feast, to wit, potato sausage in the Swedish tradition.

What have you done and what do you have planned to do in the way of material things? Always remember that the more you eat and drink in this season the more you shall eat and drink in the year to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I'm posting this Dec 9...all my decorations are up, my tree is a fiber optic one that goes on a table....I gave my
big trees away to my brother and my daughter....afraid Caesar the peke would eat the ornaments like he eats
everything else he gets hold of.....

Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I'm going to get a bunch of children's books and bring them to a homeless shelter. To me, other than anything religious, Christmas is mostly for children.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
I have blocked all the sites I can that jump onto pages and intrude and beg beg BEG me to buy buy BUY! Such crap!

Does anybody do anything for a living anymore besides marketing clerk?

Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've ordered Graber olives
Ha! I grew up less than 10 miles from the Graber Olive House.

My lighted star is in my bay window. It's the only decoration that I own after downsizing.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Nothing yet and it is looking like nothing will continue to be the way things are this year.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
The tree is up with train underneath, lights on the house and my Christmas cactus is blooming like crazy outside. I picked a Meyer lemon today and made lemon curd for gingerbread cake for the holidays. I'll be making a gingerbread house for my granddaughter to decorate and her and I are making dog biscuits for the dogs as presents next week. We've been to the Christmas parade two weeks ago and the Christmas boat parade this past weekend. The school Christmas program is next week. Shopping is done, a parcel of presents mailed out and wrapping a few presents left to do. It's been fun so far and pretty low key.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:12 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Same as for the last thirty-five years, nada.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
I spent Thanksgiving with family out of state and was gone for 11 days. Will do the same for Christmas for 7 days. And am still working. So this year, don't plan to decorate, put up a tree, send out cards, etc. I bought most of the Christmas presents before Thanksgiving - still need to wrap them. Purchased some presents online this last weekend. Have a few more items to buy but mostly done. Will buy tamales, oysters (oyster stew is our traditional Christmas Eve dinner), and a couple of cherry pies from my favorite local stores/restaurants and take them for Christmas. My office has a Christmas luncheon. My brother and sister in law host a Christmas party where she plays piano and we sing Christmas songs and do some caroling around their neighborhood. When I retire, I hope to decorate and attend more special events but just don't have the time now.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:14 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
I can't say that I'm done decorating but I'm close. But with my method, put some decorations up one day, maybe some the next, it's a process. I have a ton of decorations but I try not to put them all up! I'm a kid about Christmas stuff, I like everything that's shiny or twinkling. I do it for my grandchildren but also for myself.

Shopping is lackadaisical - I'll get there eventually. I did go to Target today and loaded up on Legos (buy one, get one 50% off.) I kept looking at a cute throw pillow that had an old red station wagon on it with a freshly-cut tree atop. Charming, but $24.99. What? I kept walking back and looking at it like I thought the price might change. It didn't.

See the link below for more Christmas decorating. I love Christmas!

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...es-anyone.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement