Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
"Things turn out best for those that make the best out of the way things turn out."

I found that quote many years ago and pasted it next to my computer.
Love this quote!! I did the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM

373 posts, read 589,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay I'm going to see if anyone is interested in sharing bits of wisdom we "Elders" - 55 + - have acquired after living more than a half century on this planet.

I hope people will keep these morsels of information and advice short and sweet. If you dispute anything mentioned, please jump in and voice your opinion!

I'll go first:

Something I've learned from someone close to me that was for years in the mattress and bedding business is that it is very important to cover your mattress and pillows with a good quality moisture resistant mattress protector and pillow protectors. Just a sheet and pillow cases are not enough.

The fact is we not only perspire when we sleep, shed human skin and hair particles, but dust mites come to live in our bedding as well. Dust mites cannot live in latex, however, and a layer natural Talalay latex is a good thing to have in your bed if you are not allergic to latex. Human perspiration, body oils, and other fluids - even something as seemingly harmless as accidentally spilled water - contribute to the foams and fibers inside your mattress becoming degraded and spoiled.
You won't see me sleeping on plastic. Pillows are cheap. I toss 'em after a year or so. Mattress covers are washable and I'm fully continent. I only buy flippable mattresses. My current one is 7 years old and still good as new.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Now for some words of dumbness.

What about the padded mattress protectors that most people use? That's not enough?

AND, how can you do much about your pillows other than washing them and using something like a zippered muslin pillow protector?
If the pillow or mattress protector is just cotton or muslin and whether quilted or not moisture will get into it and dust mites will populate your bedding. They must be moisture resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
You won't see me sleeping on plastic. Pillows are cheap. I toss 'em after a year or so. Mattress covers are washable and I'm fully continent. I only buy flippable mattresses. My current one is 7 years old and still good as new.
I did not suggest plastic. I hate those plastic ones. The best quality protectors are breathable, won't squeak, and yet are moisture resistant. They have a layer of something like GorTex ... they breath yet liquid cannot pass through them ... and they can be washed in the washing machine, but don't use chlorine bleach.

While on the subject of mattresses and bedding, here is another suggestion: when traveling and staying at hotels and motels, always do a quick inspection to see if there is any evidence of BEDBUGS
... I always pull back the bedspreads and sheets and look in the seams, edges and piping for signs of bedbugs (their favorite hiding place!) or little specks of blood or bug feces. These critters even turn up at the fanciest hotels.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Bedding travel tip:

Buy the plastic, zip up pillow covers, keep them in your suitcase. When in a hotel, this assures no nasty pillows.

Also, keep ziplock bags in your suitcase, and put one over the remote control, as they have been shown to be the nastiest thing in hotel rooms. I have read surveys that indicate e-coli is commonly found on hotel remote controls. Of course, you will want to dispose of the ziplock bag when you check out.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 PM

13,717 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"--the Golden Rule and the basis of most modern religions (though not necessarily practiced).

Unfortunately, as a landlord I've learned this often doesn't always work when it comes to money.

I used to think if I did the right thing renters would respond in kind. Sadly, I found this to rarely he case. when it comes to money.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
To understand is to forgive. Jewish proverb

Don't throw your pearls before swine. Jesus

Pay yourself first.

Plan for your demise.

Recognize that every day is a gift.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile A word of wisdom

Clark said something in a prior thread -

About paying more attention to those older than you and when they want to tell their stories, listen -
they and their stories won't always be around.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
A little digression back to semi wisdom:

If you put your pillows out in the winter when it's below 32F it kills the dust mites. I usually put them out over night and just use spares for that one night.

You can also do that with your mattress cover. Washing doesn't kill them but you can freeze the critters to death.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A little digression back to semi wisdom:

If you put your pillows out in the winter when it's below 32F it kills the dust mites. I usually put them out over night and just use spares for that one night.

You can also do that with your mattress cover. Washing doesn't kill them but you can freeze the critters to death.
This seems such an excellent idea that I went looking for validation and it's true enough, according to the Mayo Clinic site. Problem is, it's got to be freezer-level temps for 24 hours which doesn't happen enough in area to make the outside thing practical but it turns out 24 hours in my freezer will help.

And they did offer up this, all of which I can do. Well, I won't likely wash my blanket and comforter weekly but I can put them in the dryer.

Quote:
Wash bedding weekly. Wash all sheets, blankets, pillowcases and bedcovers in hot water that is at least 130 F (54.4 C) to kill dust mites and remove allergens. If bedding can't be washed hot, put the items in the dryer for at least 15 minutes at a temperature above 130 F (54.4 C) to kill the mites. Then wash and dry the bedding to remove allergens. Freezing nonwashable items for 24 hours also can kill dust mites, but this won't remove the allergens.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Wisdoms
The majority of the things you worry about never happen.
Along with this, hang a copy of the Serenity Payer up somewhere and try to adhere to the premise of it (eliminate the religious context if applicable)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement