U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 AM

543 posts, read 1,053,839 times

Advertisements

What are your New Years rituals? (I originally posted this in Community, until I realized that it wasn't a good choice.)

Today is the first day of the New Year and I'm wondering:

what people do (if anything) to prepare for the next 12 months?

So much hype about New Year's resolutions that to some, it's just the same old stuff. People make them, people break them... usually within a few days or weeks.

To avoid that herd mentality, I like to take several days a year to do a major goal refresher. New Year's is one, my birthday, our anniversary, the equinoxes (all 4..), are the others. Checking in on those days and examining where I am and what I want to do helps keep me focused on the tasks at hand.

Admittedly, some years have been more focused than others and therefore, more successful.

What do you do every year to prepare for the New Year?

For me, I like spending some time re-reading journals and reviewing the goals from the last year.
I also like to spend some quiet time in nature to re-boot and gear up for the busy year ahead.
I then write my new goals/or make adjustments to the older ones. There is no need to reinvent the goal list every year if some are still in process (like saving for a new roof) or some other larger plan.

Are there rituals that you repeat that help prepare for the new year?

Not really, although the last couple of years we've gone to a New Years Eve Party with a great family. The party was pretty low-key with a lot of fun.

My more consistent ritual consists of reflection and writing goals for the new year. The where and when also fluctuates a bit.. As long as it is around January, I'm good with that.

How many goals did you meet last year?

I did meet my income goals which was satisfying, but now, I wish to increase that goal and realization.
I also met some for personal growth and have reexamined old habits that continue to linger....
We also had some travel and social goals that helped keep us more active.

What things did I focus on in 2013 for self-improvement?

I started the year with my shiny good intentions, but then not all of them "stuck"... I was faithful with taking supplements daily and getting out into nature more.

We wanted to learn Spanish, but besides finding a great deal on Rosetta Stone and talking about it.. we didn't get very far. However, we do watch Spanish Soap Operas and learn a few words. My husband likes to watch the Cute women with low cut dresses. LOL. They are lovely, but man, when they get mad, they just yell. Too funny. - but they do speak Spanish..

Where is the best place to write your goals? (At home, a coffee shop, another city, ?)

I like writing them anywhere it is quiet and I won't be disturbed.

Is your life better than it was in the past?

Yes, and I think partially because of the goals and planning we've done.

What about taking action?

I look at my goals and then prioritize them. Some take longer than others and some can be done rather quickly. I have followed Tony Robbins 30 day Plan and found it really helpful in breaking patterns and creating new ones and finding realistic ways to be motivated. Thanks, Tony!

I put end dates on them as well - and realize some adjusting will be necessary as things go on. The important thing to remember is that I do this to improve myself, and it is a marathon, not a sprint.

Thanks for sharing any ideas you have on whether the New Year is significant to you.
If so, why? If not, why not?

I like the idea of new beginnings; a clean slate; making improvements and the New Year is like that. I love January because no matter what happens in that month, there are 11 more to experience improvements.

What results have you had in trying various ways to think about the passage of time in your life?

The years I've taken the time to write out goals without a doubt have been my more successful ones - in every area. My conclusion is that examining one's life and motives pays off.

Thanks very much...

Last edited by gypsydoc; Today at 03:18 PM.. Reason: needed proof reading
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 AM

11,160 posts, read 9,070,973 times
How did this end up in the Retirement forum? Anyone?

Goals and focus and action and results statements remind me too much of my working days. Back then I had to write them out and discuss them with the higher up in my workplace, .
Now I don't. Pretty much I wake up every day and thank my higher, holy power for the gift of being.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 01-02-2014 at 02:07 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 05:05 AM

9,040 posts, read 13,080,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It's here because the OP reposted it here. I have no idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
Note to MODERATOR or someone who can help:
I'm not sure how to delete this post as I have moved it to the retirement forum, believing it is a better fit there. Apologies for any inconvenience. Not sure if I've broken any rules... please let me know how to fix. I posted this here in the community forum not realizing the subject matter here. Gosh... darn.... Thanks for your help.
Now if the OP had simply added one word and titled the thread, Seniors: What are your New Year's Rituals?, then, of course, this would be the appropriate forum for the subject. At least, I think that's how it works.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 AM

4,423 posts, read 6,563,639 times
There's no ritual. Last year we went out and partied all hours with friends. It was fun. This year we stayed in, just the two of us, and it was equally fun.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 AM

35,883 posts, read 70,353,947 times
I take time at the end of the year to assess the past 12 months, from financial aspect to personal goals. I don't spend a lot of time on this, but I do consider what I may have done in a better or more efficient way . . . and adjust accordingly.

I have no rituals, other than fun ones such as fixing New Year's food -- and I consider that a tradition, not a really a ritual.

I don't make New Year's resolutions, as such. I may decide to handle something in a new or different way in the coming year.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,416,947 times
Hang a fresh new calendar with lovely photos on it on my frig. A new year, a fresh start.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM

23,599 posts, read 33,488,542 times
I find that rituals can be too prescriptive, are time-consuming, are somewhat akin to controls and remind me of the workplace so I avoid them and lean far more toward spontaneity. After all, I'm retired!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM

3,555 posts, read 2,410,119 times
My Mom always made a pot of navy beans on New Years Day, the idea behind it was to start the year humbly to be more prosperous later in the year. That stuck with me, so every year I make Hoppin' John which is black-eyed peas, a member of the legume family, so close enough. During one of my healthier eating phases years ago, I replaced the bacon and bacon grease with a chipotle in Adobe sauce to give it kick and a smoky taste, one of my best recipe modifications.

So I've kept with the tradition of a humble dinner and it just feels like a good way to start the year.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM

17,607 posts, read 9,463,508 times
No rituals, no goals. I just put one foot in front of the other and deal with whatever comes my way while trying to have as much fun as possible.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 AM

3,438 posts, read 5,144,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

Goals and focus and action and results statements remind me too much of my working days. Back then I had to write them out and discuss them with the higher up in my workplace, .
Now I don't. Pretty much I wake up every day and thank my higher, holy power for the gift of being.

I agree 100 %..........!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement