U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 AM

18,845 posts, read 34,646,518 times

Advertisements

You could also say, this is the trend of those who have money for retirement, and those who need to keep working. My Mom did this a bit, but she has low tolerance for helping people. It did not work out as a job for her. Which was too bad, as it is one job a senior can get pretty easily.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 PM

3,415 posts, read 3,997,411 times
I would prefer an older person! I think older people are more empathic and more reliable.
Especially if you are at home.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:07 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,188,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I only do TAX FREE states and NH is not on my radar. I also prefer NON-freezer tax free states, so SD and WY have lower preference. BUT... I did just request an application from WY Senior Pioneer Home. $1400 / month living 'independent' in Thermopolis Hot Springs Park!!!

I'm all over that!

I will be concentrating on WA and TX as they each have good senior care systems / governance and recognize homecare as a viable 'supported' option. (some residents will undoubtedly be 'state pay', others private. My BIL has built 4 and starting on #5. We'll see how things progress.

At the moment it doesn't move me too far forward on the project having to work PT in Thailand to get affordable healthcare for an ill DS. I have a few options in the works, but will probably not be able to pursue completion till I'm 'of-SS/ medicare age' That is quite a ways out, since I 'retired' pre age 50. The USA has pulled the 5 very nice HSA options I had planned to use when I retired.
I empathize with having the rug pulled out from under you wrt your HSA options.

Not that you need my imprimatur, but I think it wise that you are looking into tax free states. I seem to remember you writing about NE TN as an option - you got quite a show of interest, as well!

Personally, I don't know what on earth I'm going to do - except keep plugging on as long as my value exceeds my carrying costs to some employment venue locally. If I can't find a reasonable job here to keep productively occupied through FRA, then I am hanging it up. Famous last words and all that. However, greater DC metro seems to have the least bias against seniors of any place I've ever been. I think it's because the govvie heads of departments and components and their staffs are in DC, at the apex of their gov careers, and hence tend to be older. They don't like being advised by 30 year olds. Therefore, if I can't find re-employment in this area, the trick is truly over.

As to next steps location...my primary considerations are 1) being close enough to kids so it won't be a chore to see them and 2) water. The water availability situation is high on my radar. The resource seems to be getting a lot of play - to the degree where the meme "the next world war will be fought over water" has taken root. Hence, I'll likely wind up on the Eastern side of the Continental Divide.

Why NE TN remains a four star prospect, in my book.

I believe, as you do, that self-help communities are the way to go, for the very reasons you mentioned - continued community involvement.

Best to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement