Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,792 times

Advertisements

Before you retired--(the title space is limited)

I don't mean colors or styles--although some of the all white modern kitchens make me feel like I am in a cold hospital room. So décor and style can have an affect on your feeling of wellbeing.

Is a beautiful view to the outside important--because you may be home more? Is it the roll in shower, or walk in tub? Large kitchen--office shop studio?

I would love to hear positive ideas for making a retirement home comfortable and convenient. We all know that some people hate stairs, and even won't consider chair lifts, do not want to get into that argument please!

Last edited by funisart; 03-07-2014 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Outside view, yard, windows to see out, deck and patio. All to enhance outdoor living and to bring the outside indoors.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Outside view, yard, windows to see out, deck and patio. All to enhance outdoor living and to bring the outside indoors.
That's my list.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM

262 posts, read 307,606 times
Large shower, unfortunately mine still has a small step-over.

One level, with wide doorways.

Lever style door hardware.

Plenty of natural light.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
A a great view and chair-height toilets ... (not necessarily at the same time). We also like condo living; simply lock the door and leave, without worrying about anything (we've never been 'yard people.') Instead of a yard, we've got a marina/harbor and a boat club as our back yard. Also, since the grandkids are here all the time, we appreciate quiet, separated bedrooms, a large pool and other amenities for them (and us) to enjoy anytime. A separate office and sewing room that don't interfere with bedrooms; plenty of easily accessible storage (pull-out drawers, built-in closets, adjacent storage units); Double, indoor parking spaces ... and a lot of other things that we didn't really have time to think much about or enjoy as much when we were still working.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM

440 posts, read 867,015 times
I'm have got a good while before retirement and not even sure I will stay where I am when we do…however we altered our parents house and it made me think when I was building my house for future use. My parents retired in their early 60's they bought a house with a view and it had balconies almost around the entire house to take in the views and get lots of fresh air. All the living and bedrooms are on one level. We had to renovate to make things worked better for them as they aged…reno the kitchen with all pull out's in cabinets for the pantry we made sure the upper levels had pull outs that dropped down (no step ladders) Also used a lot of deep drawers that they could stack dishes in so they didnt have o reach up into high cabinets . We had an oven that was hinged on the right so they wouldn't have to lean over the door to get things out the oven and changed the cooked top to infa red type thing (no flames). Lever type faucets in kitchens and bath (mom had arthritis ) and door handles.Pull draw dishwasher as a regular one was too big most of the time for them.
Flooring we kept the same throughout the house …hardwoods -easy to clean and no trip hazard. Got rid of heavy furniture and trip hazards like rugs and made sure all the walking areas were clutter free and as wide as possible. Bathroom we gutted put in a roll in shower and easy access to toilets (eventually we added a bar in the toilet area and shower) Made sink area accessible if later on someone needed a wheel chair etc. Laundry was washer/dryer on pedestals so they didn't have to bend to far. Outside we made sure the stairs had sturdy railings and that pathways were not damaged (trip hazards ) Also that all door thresholds were as level as possible so no trip hazards .
As it worked out my mom ended up in a wheel chair and was able to live many more years at home because of the things we had done 20 plus years before…. So when we built our house we have wide hallways big bathrooms with easy access-everything has levers..the master bedroom is on the same level as the living areas…no outside steps and my kitchen is all drawers and a huge walk in pantry with easy access to everything and hardwoods floors throughout…And yes we built our house with lots of light and built to take advantage of the view.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,154 times
Having a bathroom on whatever floor I am on, having a roll in shower on the first floor,all bathrooms with elevated height toilets, bedroom on the first floor, stair lift on stairs, more grab bars in strategic places, small yard to take take of. Stove with from controls that can be reached by wheelchair, or at least that you don't have to reach over hot burners and pans to access. Home alarm system.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:46 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
Living in Florida so I can use my pool every day!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM

730 posts, read 1,301,918 times
1. NO high ceilings! When I'm "eighty and shaky" (LOL) I don't want to have to either haul out a big ladder or have to pay someone to come over in order to change a lightbulb/clean a ceiling fan/fix a nail-pop etc etc simply because it's too high for me to reach via a two-step mini ladder.

2. Hallways wide enough to maneuver a wheelchair in, should the need ever arise.

3. Large (minimum 3x5) shower, with solid surface walls -- no grout to maintain!

4. Side by side washer/dryer instead of stacked.

5. Wide doorways

6. Extra wide gutters that don't need to be cleaned out as often.

On the subject of high ceilings, what the heck is with all of these 55+ builders who are designing houses with two-story ceiling high rooms, lofts, and "volume ceilings"??!! That's about as inaccessible as an interior house part can get, and for an older person it just does not make sense.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Basically anything that will become a problem as one grows older like stairs; narrow doorways. Bathroom facilities that are crowded with poor shower/bath entry; then outside maintenance and entry from outside .Lots of sites with recommendation for older age living on internet and even available to tour in housing that specializes in those sales. One never knows the future and best to be prepared as always; if possible. A example is our last home. We remodel in late 90's with consideration of retiring and getting older in place. We sold and later the buyer became handicapped and says he thanks us for what we did everyday he is there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement