U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,361,001 times

Advertisements

I know this is probably more common with my generation but a lot of us decided not to have children. I don't regret that decision but I do often worry about what will happen when I'm too old to care for myself.

Anyone in this position and what did you do?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 PM

41,379 posts, read 52,701,938 times
1st comes assisted living home, then the nursing home, finally hospice...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,220,621 times
I hope someone who won't be too traumatized by the experience finds me dead in the bed..........or on the sofa or the floor or in the garden (best ) .

I am okay now. If things slow down much more, I will arrange to have someone call me every 3 days or so. I don't want the dog to be left alone too long.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,084,553 times
Our adult kids are not going to physically take care of us ~ most of them anyway. It's a rare adult child who has the goodness of heart, the time, the patience, the health, the body strength, and the stamina to physically do caregiving. And remember, our adult kids will be in their 50s, not spring chickens and most likely still working full-time. Not to mention that many of us do not want our kids helping us with bodily functions. It would be nice however if they check on us, help out in the house occasionally, and take us to lunch very now and then. A niece or nephew or younger friend could do that for those who don't have kids.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:22 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,425,843 times
I bought long-term care insurance at a very young age. It is inflation adjusted, the premiums are fixed for life. I figure I will either live in a CCRC and be moved progressively to more care, or I will have in-home care or move to assisted living apartment and then move to nursing home and eventually Hospice. CCRC is my first choice. In my case, I have no one to leave an estate to except a charity.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM

7,533 posts, read 8,716,206 times
There are some wonderful continuing care retirement communities in our area that accommodate three stages of living, all on the same campus: independent living, assisted living and nursing care. When we can no longer live independently in our current home (hopefully many years from now), our plan is to enter one of these. The beauty of this model is that as we move through the various stages, we will not have to leave our location or our friends.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,162,310 times
I'm hoping to bribe his BFF and wife.....

Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM

9,862 posts, read 12,399,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Our adult kids are not going to physically take care of us ~ most of them anyway. It's a rare adult child who has the goodness of heart, the time, the patience, the health, the body strength, and the stamina to physically do caregiving. And remember, our adult kids will be in their 50s, not spring chickens and most likely still working full-time. Not to mention that many of us do not want our kids helping us with bodily functions. It would be nice however if they check on us, help out in the house occasionally, and take us to lunch very now and then. A niece or nephew or younger friend could do that for those who don't have kids.
Those mirror my thoughts as well. Plus, we've added LTC insurance and structured some savings to offset the cost of 'personal bodily function assistance' later on. -- With today's healthcare and longevity, the likelihood that at least one person of most couples will ultimately need some type of 'managed care' is pretty high. Others may well find themselves dependent on "the kindness of strangers."

Beyond the physical care, there are a wide range of other potential life-issues where an aging person may need assistance from someone with their best interests at heart (legal, financial, transportation, computers, etc). In those cases, we believe and trust that our kids will be there.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 PM

15,637 posts, read 14,250,086 times
Oh god no.. I wouldnt even think of expecting any of my four chlldren to take care of me.. not a chance... I didnt bring them into the world for me... Id go into a home if I couldnt take care of myself..

Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM

813 posts, read 982,420 times
I am hoping the young wife will hire a couple of even younger nurses to take care of my "needs"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement