Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 PM

89 posts, read 123,853 times

Advertisements

Robyn55,
Thank you for your very detailed and informative reply to my post. Several of the issues you raised have been part of our discussion and decision making process, particularly friends & family.
As you mentioned, many friends have already relocated and family is becoming more scattered. Even though we currently live within 1 hour of most of our children/grandchildren, they seem to have less and less time for family gatherings, dinners, etc., so our final decision probably won't affect them much either way. In fact our children are nearing the age where they are talking about where they wish to relocate to when they retire, and living near us doesn't seem to be a factor. Sounds a little strange, but I'm hearing from others our age that this is more and more common.
Our parents are deceased, but we continued to live within close proximity to them, providing care during their final years. And luckily we both have excellent LTC policies!
So, back to your first comment, perhaps the 4 hour drive is not a consideration after all - thanks for that insight and all your other comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Cape Cod! It has it all!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Cape Cod! It has it all!
But isn't the traffic horrendous all summer?

Back in the late 60s/early 70s I used to take long weekend trips up to the cape (from LI) and I can still remember sitting in crawling traffic along Route 6 from Hyannis to P'town, anytime I wanted or needed to go anywhere. One lane in each direction if I recall correctly, and absolutely stuffed with tourist traffic. As bad as the Hamptons if not worse.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Not at all if you know the back roads. Besides, you're talking just the months of July and August. He's coming from NY where the traffic sucks 365 days a year.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Quote:
Not at all if you know the back roads. Besides, you're talking just the months of July and August. He's coming from NY where the traffic sucks 365 days a year.
The OP and I are both on Long Island, and just as you said: If you know the back roads, you can avoid the traffic. If you can stay off the 3 major east/west roads (two parkways plus the Expressway) between the hours of 7:30 am and 9:30 am, and 4pm to 6:30pm, traffic is not a problem here.

I thought the Cape season was from the beginning of June to the end of September?

The Cape does share a major drawback of LI which is that there is essentially only one route on/off, to the "mainland". (I'm not counting the ferries from LI to CT, nor the one from Boston to P-town).

Old 05-09-2014, 08:41 AM

89 posts, read 123,853 times
Smile Cape Cod

Love the Cape & have relatives who relocated there from LI in the 70's. Our concerns would be proximity to all that the city (Boston) offers but having to deal with the limited commuting options without relying on a car. And how is the cost of living (taxes, housing, etc?). Interested in feedback based on limited retirement income & purchase of a condo/townhouse <$250,000. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
Quote:
Cape Cod! It has it all!
Sharks.

No thanks, I bear an uncanny resemblence to an albino Harbor Seal when floating in the ocean.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
The OP and I are both on Long Island, and just as you said: If you know the back roads, you can avoid the traffic. If you can stay off the 3 major east/west roads (two parkways plus the Expressway) between the hours of 7:30 am and 9:30 am, and 4pm to 6:30pm, traffic is not a problem here.

I thought the Cape season was from the beginning of June to the end of September?

The Cape does share a major drawback of LI which is that there is essentially only one route on/off, to the "mainland". (I'm not counting the ferries from LI to CT, nor the one from Boston to P-town).

The Northern State ends in Hauppauge, the Southern State ends in Islip. Still a whole lot of Island and people east of that. The commute from Smithtown in to the City was by far the number one reason I transferred/moved Upstate. An average of 4-5 hours a day roundtrip. Get some snow on the ground, forget it.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
I would just circle areas 4 hours southwest of NY since that's where there is a milder winter & then just see what amenities are available for what you like & COL/taxes situation. Knowing you want to be 4 hours away eliminates a lot of areas.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Quote:
As I keep saying RE: Philly - watch out for the flood of retirees!
You may be right. I guess it hasn't come yet to that old Yogi quip about the 'restaurant?' ..something like 'No one goes there anymore it's too crowded?'...;-)...

Really as we also are doing an 'investigation' of place Philadelphia seems to be a 'rational' place to live after seeing articles that say NY is THE worst state for retirement. Ok if not THE worst surely one of the worst. The state does 'giveth' but when you get on in age it 'taketh' away!

Things I'd like to hear: the Beatles 'Taxman' stop ringing in our ears.' .;-)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement