Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
And do you know what the irony of this whole thing is? There is 1 subway as in ONE. the D train, which granted would scare the he!! out of some folks around here that stops near the Botanical Gardens and a short ride over to the Bronx Zoo, then in to Manhattan and stops at the Museum of Natural History and a short walk therough Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, then down to Lincon Center, Times Square and off to Brooklyn where it terminates at Coney Island by the Aquarium and Amusement Park. How about that for convenience...
I guess that was the subway we used when we took our nieces from midtown to the Bronx Zoo. In perhaps the early 80's. It was a little weird - even at noon. Didn't scare me though. But I was happy to take a cab back to the hotel.

Quote:
And no, NYC is not #3 for foodies. You just need to know the difference and where to go for whatever it is you want.
I would never rank cities in terms of food. But my favorite today overall is Tokyo. OTOH - I've been to 4 out of the 7 current 3 star Michelin restaurants in New York (some more than once). What does anyone's perception of being a "good food city" matter if you can't afford to/don't care to dine at the best places there? If the only places where one dines are chains or mediocre neighborhood places - it's possible to do that anywhere in the US. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
How many NYC kids do you think are looking at their college choices saying "oh yeah, I wanna be a Husker!"? On the other hand how many kids in Nebraska are applying to NYU, Columbia, Fordham, St John's, Manahattan, FIT, etc. How many people graduate from college and can't wait to get to Omaha?
I'm not trying to be a jerk but the folks you mentioned did their 20 and retired. I'm just 2 hours from the City, I'm down there often. I was actually offered a job back in NYC just recently but I'm past the point to up and move again.

It's not just how many times can you visit a museum, it's which museum to go visit. It's which park, what's happening this weekend and where. I lived in the Bronx, lived in Queens, family is from Manhattan, my first job in HS was in a sandwich shop arouind the corner from Rockefeller Center. I went to college in NYC, worked for 30 years in Manhattan, it's a way of life that this thread has made perfectly clear is not for everyone.

You see packed subways, frozen spit and trash. What would I see in Nebraska? Dry grass, chewing tobacco and cow patties. NYC is not for everyone, Tarzan went back to the jungle. It killed poor King Kong.
Apart from one of my cousins - a pediatric dentist to the kids of the stars who earns a very nice income (and he supports his elderly mother in her Westchester senior facility too - G-d bless him ) - my only other famlly member who lives in Manhattan now is one niece. Who is earning about $60k/year. And my brother/her father is kicking in I guess $10-20k/year so she can live in a place that's not a total toilet. It's honestly all about the money IMO. What you earn - what you have to pay out to live in a place. Robyn

Old 06-25-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
...I'm just 2 hours from the City, I'm down there often...
How often - and do you stay overnight? I think 4 hours RT for anyone on a day trip - especially a senior - is too much. I wouldn't recommend anyone moving to where I live because it's *only* 2 hours to Disney and similar attractions in Orlando. That would be nuts IMO. Robyn

Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Odd, I think they're fine and ditto with most of the outer boroughs. The New York Botantical Garden is a bit annoying but nightmarish is a stretch.
When's the last time you went to the Botanical Gardens? And how did you get there (and where do you live as well)? When we went a few years ago - we went with friends who live on the UES - and they had a car and drove us there. Robyn

Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we go to the ny botanical every other week. we have special early morning passes so we get in at 6:00am. as photographers we love going that hour. we are usually out of there by the time they open.

here is a sampling of our work.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
And do you know what the irony of this whole thing is? There is 1 subway as in ONE. the D train, which granted would scare the he!! out of some folks around here that stops near the Botanical Gardens and a short ride over to the Bronx Zoo, then in to Manhattan and stops at the Museum of Natural History and a short walk therough Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, then down to Lincon Center, Times Square and off to Brooklyn where it terminates at Coney Island by the Aquarium and Amusement Park. How about that for convenience.

And no, NYC is not #3 for foodies. You just need to know the difference and where to go for whatever it is you want.
Actually the 4 is one block away from the D, and both run express at rush hours. Midtown in 25-30 min. on the subway and the metro north is little more than 20 min. and stops actoss the street. There are express buses also.

Great photos Mathjak.

Last edited by yodel; 06-26-2014 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Reread that message - and you didn't answer my question. Why did you move to "Center City" Philadelphia - a place I left decades ago - instead of anywhere in NYC? Answer behind Door No. 3 - is you could afford what is thought to be a nice part of Philadelphia - but couldn't afford a nice part of NYC. No shame in that. Who can afford the nicer parts of NYC - especially Manhattan - these days?
LOL Robyn55 - I'm afraid you've jumped the shark with this post! This is - what - the third(?) thread is which you've asked (and I've answered) why my DH and I relocated to Philly a few years back. Either you forget my replies from thread to thread, you have poor reading comprehension, or you feel certain I am running an elaborate ruse to throw you off the scent of the real truth about jm02. Well, as happens sometimes Robyn55, the testimony I've consistently provided to your ongoing interrogations is true: In this matter, a cigar really is just a cigar.

Given you have with certainty concluded otherwise, however, if you want to believe you have id'ed the smoking gun behind the real reason for our life in Philly - feel free! Here's why: I wouldn't recognize you if you were sitting at the next to us at dinner last night. You are not a person to me, but rather a persona. I therefore see nothing at stake that warrants investing time and energy in disabusing you of your notions about me, our life or our portfolio. In exchange, however, I am hopeful you will quit hectoring me on this matter. As long as you refrain from hacking into our investments - I checked and of this morning the balances seem intact - is it a deal? (All this said, it now leaves me wondering how many guilty souls you may have sent off to the gallows during you prosecutorial days - propelled by a zeal that outweighs the facts. But that is fodder better suited to discussion elsewhere in CD.)

All this concluded, I must say your curiosity about our wealth has now raised a query in my mind wrt Robyn55. Sometimes people project their neuroses and uncertainties onto others as a way of avoiding dealing with them directly. Could this mean, in fact, that you have "settled" in a locale that gives you most of what you need instead of where you quietly long to live due to affordability? Stay with me here. Your post above has me now wondering why on earth someone who aspires to a lifestyle of the "rich and famous" has set up shop in a Jacksonville beach town no one has ever heard of. The leisure class, as everyone knows, makes at least one of their homes in Florida's famous "Gold Coast." But, who can afford the Gold Coast - especially Palm Beach - these days? No shame in that, Robyn55.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Great pics, Mathjak - that second one looks like it could come alive (and eat you).

I have visited NYC (Manhattan) once and absolutely loved it. I spent 3 days before a meeting just walking around and visiting shops - did a lot of Xmas shopping at Mabels. I would live there in a NY second IF - I could live a comfortable life style. Not necessarily wealthy, but comfortable.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Actually the 4 is one block away from the D, and both run express at rush hours. Midtown in 25-30 min. on the subway and the metro north is little more than 20 min. and stops actoss the street. There are express buses also.

Great photos Mathjak.
My use of the word "one" was a little ambiguous. I didn't mean to say there's only 'one' choice. I was responding to someone's comments about public transportation in NYC and some of the attractions and I was pointing out that you could take just 'one' subway, the D and manage to see about a dozen great places, just on the 'one' line. My tag 'Q44' is a reference to the bus line that connects the Bronx to Queens.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:05 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Understood Q44
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement