Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
My wife an I did that exact same thing, only we did it when we finished college. We always wanted to do that and it made more sense to us to do while we were young.

We spent about 3 or 4 years on the road spending the summers along the NW Pacific Coast and the winters in Florida.

Now that we are old and retired we never want to travel again. I enjoy looking at the world out of my window now from the comfort of my easy chair.

During our travels we found some really magic places. We retired to one of them on the Washington Coast.
Good for you. My dh is 49 and I am 41. We've been on the road for 3 years. Unfortunately we haven't found our eutopia. So we have to keep traveling. It seems the more we travel the less inviting the towns we travel through are. There doesn't seem to be much pride anymore. We'll probably end up in the mountains somewhere away from people.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
...It seems the more we travel the less inviting the towns we travel through are...We'll probably end up in the mountains somewhere away from people.
I know what you mean. We always stayed away from the towns and found spots to camp in the woods or by the ocean and used the towns to get supplies or to enjoy various local festivals or activities.

But, that was back in the early 70's. Those free, secluded camping spots don't exist anymore. They have either been made into state parks or ruined by real estate developers. And, for the most part, those local celebrations have been over commercialized and lost their local flavor.

We always had it in our mind to live in one of the special spots we had found, but over the years kids, jobs, and inertia kept us rooted. When retirement finally freed us again, we were too old for the kind of rigors that living in an isolated area would require.

But, we found a nice little town in an area that we loved, the kind of place where you can walk into the bank and the manager waves and calls you by your first name, and after a big storm, your insurance agent comes out to check on you and see if you need anything.

We loved our time on the road, and although in many ways it was a difficult lifestyle, we will always think of it as one of the best times in our lives.

But, we would never want to do it again.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I have traveled so much during my career. I just do not know if I ever want to live out of a seabag again.

I have been offered jobs, to travel again. But no, not yet.

I am just not ready to do that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement