Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:53 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,326,476 times

Advertisements

The last time I visited my retired relatives, I was a little bit surprised at the number of calls that they got which seemed to be targeted towards seniors. I answered one or two for them, and I remember one where a guy was trying to sell some call alert service or something like that. He was coming off like if he had just been on ten cups of caffeinated coffee in the last hour.... scary. I asked them how they put up with that stuff, and they just laughed.

Do you get those types of calls, and how do you deal with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,679,933 times
I get an amazing amount of telemarketing phone calls even though I am on the do not call list. For the past three years I have stopped answering any calls that show up being from a long-distance telephone number. I check Google to see who is making the call just in case it was really important.

If Google shows that the number is from a telemarketer, I use my cell phone to block the telephone number.

If anyone really needs to reach me they can leave a message.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:03 PM

6,676 posts, read 4,972,467 times
www.donotcall.gov

And for mail...

www.dmachoice.org

Or if you're bored, make a game of it and see how long you can keep someone on the phone. Ask for more details, what happens under various scenarios, could you repeat that last part again, etc. Sure, it's a little mean, but less mean than calling up people during dinner to sell them some useless service.

Regards,

hikernut

Old 06-26-2014, 03:20 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,727,284 times
We no longer have a landline, only cell phones. I rarely get unsolicited calls but did get a recent call asking me to take a quick survey. I declined and after ending the call, hit recent, info, and scrolled down to choose block that number.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,117,600 times
I always use a whistle or slam the phone down.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,903,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
If you are on the do not call list and still get calls, you can report any calls you do get on the above web site.

One thing I've learned is if you answer the call and it's a robo call, and then just hang up, they will call you back at least 3 more times. Anytime I do answer and it is a real person, I interrupt them immediately and ask to be taken off their list.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:42 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,491,937 times
We're on the DoNotCall list, have an unlisted landline # that we're very careful to whom we give it, and we still get spam calls all day everyday, especially in the weeks leading up to elections. Campaign/political calls are exempt from the Do Not Call list and regs.

We keep the ringers turned off on our landline phones from 9a to 6p; few spammers try to call outside those hours. The phones we have allow us to block up to 30 numbers in addition to all calls coming from unidentified callers.

Anyone who needs to reach us during daytime hours has our cell #'s which for the most part are blessedly free from spam and in addition let us assign a default silent ring tone to any callers not on our contact lists. We want to keep our landline because we've had the same # for 30 years and we prefer using it rather than our cells to make outgoing calls when we're at home.

With all that we've managed to reduce the spam callers to a non problem, other than during election seasons, when political calls come in well into the evening hours.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,666,043 times
I probably have over 100 phone numbers on my call block list. Possibly 200 by now. It works pretty well. I add a new number about once a day.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,262,301 times
The donotcall.gov is garbage as expected. They robocall you from a different number every time. The useless phone companies will not let you block them since the phone company sells the service to the robos. I want a block wildcard that lets me block ALL 800 *, ALL anonymous *, ALL unavailable * etc. Adding individual numbers is useless. I also want a call interceptor that asks the caller to type in a specific code in order for the phone to ring. Show me that product and I will buy it in a second.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,221,473 times
Yes, get these calls almost every day and usually more than 2 a day. We have called, written, and asked to be taken off "call lists" for years. We have our numbers on the DNC list, as well. Doesn't matter how many requests I make; I remain on the same solicitation lists for years (and then I guess the lists get sold to others, who sell to others . . . )

The only thing that has worked for me with some of these repeat offenders is telling them that I am a renter and Mrs. Anifani no longer lives at this address. Or that Mrs. Anifani has died, lol.

Those tactics usually work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement