Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,792,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygal44 View Post
i am senior and retired. I decided to relocate from my lifelong home and move to North Carolina for a test run. I made this plan up 5 years ago and implemented it 1 year ago. I am starting to feel a little at "loose ends" now that everything is "decorated", merchant familiarization is solved and so on. Does anyone have suggestions for establishing a "new life" socially after age 70. Somewhere I heard that bingo is a good start. Any comments on that? I am also considering trying to get a job. I have some health issues, but; I feel good and all my numbers are good and I still walk to get groceries.
Are you healthy enough to help others? As newToACA mentioned, volunteering helps a lot. I participate in volunteer caregiving in Wake Co (click for info); not sure what part of NC you are in but I think there are similar organizations across the state. It's non medical help for people who are at least mostly ambulatory; take them to the grocery store or doctor appointments or whatever. It can even just be visits. If you aren't healthy enough to volunteer, you could see if you qualify to receive visits or other help.

EDIT - Link to national organization to find caregiver volunteer opportunities:
http://www.nvcnetwork.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,074,811 times
A minor aside here, but weights should never be used when you are in motion, like walking or running while using handweights. Very bad for the joints.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,949,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
A minor aside here, but weights should never be used when you are in motion, like walking or running while using handweights. Very bad for the joints.
Thanks for that tip, as I've been doing some of that.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,949,664 times
I would really like to get away from my coffee habit. It's an addiction and probably the only iffy thing I do in terms of what I consume. A Japanese tea house has opened a few towns over and I'd like to visit and maybe get into the tea culture. The problem is I've never really liked teas, even herbal. I wonder if I could acquire a taste for it. Green teas, particularly tasteless to me, are apparently good for one's health.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would really like to get away from my coffee habit. It's an addiction and probably the only iffy thing I do in terms of what I consume. A Japanese tea house has opened a few towns over and I'd like to visit and maybe get into the tea culture. The problem is I've never really liked teas, even herbal. I wonder if I could acquire a taste for it. Green teas, particularly tasteless to me, are apparently good for one's health.
They seem to keep changing their minds about coffee also. It is generally a stronger antioxidant than tea (can't make a specific comparison since either can be roasted/cured and brewed/prepared so many different ways) and caffeine in reasonable amounts is found to be very healthy in some studies. As far as teas go, there are a few strong ones out there like Irish Breakfast that tend to appeal to coffee drinkers more than green tea does.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:05 AM

11,067 posts, read 9,709,887 times
Green tea is full of antioxidants. I do find it rather bland when drunk by itself so, since I usually have two cups anyway, I make a pot with one green tea bag and one either oolong, or herbal tea bag. Antioxidants plus flavor.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,502,559 times
Bingo is good.

Also I can't say enough times the senior center.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Green tea is full of antioxidants. I do find it rather bland when drunk by itself so, since I usually have two cups anyway, I make a pot with one green tea bag and one either oolong, or herbal tea bag. Antioxidants plus flavor.
And actually FitDay agrees those are better sources. It's true that coffee has more per cup, but it's better to get smaller doses all day than the massive doses in the morning. Kind of like the megadose vitamins that don't spend a lot of time in your system; very debatable how much good those do.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,175,066 times
Good article, though it shouldn't really be a surprise that an active lifestyle helps us live longer. One observation: a "community" need not automatically be interpreted as a place to live that is populated only with seniors. One can live independently and still find companionship and purpose with other like-minded people.

That is the direction I plan to take when I retire (very soon), as I value my freedom and my privacy, and I don't want to live under a constant social obligation to participate. I have gotten the impression from talking to retired people and from readings in places like CD that not everyone is cut out for seniors only communities, and one need not be isolated just because one doesn't live in one.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 20,129 times
Thanks for the ideas from luvmyhoss and ReachThe Beach for tackling my senior retirement "loose ends".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement