Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

We replaced our 20 year Maytag about 3-4 years ago (tub rusted out - and replacing it didn't make any sense at all). We bought the 4 year old model of this to replace it:

3.6 cu. ft. Top Load Washer with Extra-Large Capacity (MVWC200BW White) |

No bells and whistles. No HE anything. No fancy electronics. No stainless steel tub (they tend to look awful here because of our water). It washes fine. And has been trouble free going on 4+ years now. About my only observation is the delicate cycle isn't quite as delicate as the delicate cycle on my old machine. But - so far - the machine hasn't destroyed any of our clothes (and I don't wash anything by hand - not even bras).
I've had a Maytag model similar to yours for 6 mos now, no bells and whistles and a nice large tub....but my model requires HE detergent, and I'm allergic commercial detergents of any kind including HE. I've been using a non-HE detergent and in rereading my manual I see I am wrecking my machine. I'll look into your model. I often wash quilts, feather quilts, blankets, etc and so must ahve the large tub. So much for the stackers.

At my previous house I had a stacking (separate units) set. Front loader washer. A killer to bend into the interior to get all the washed clothes out, and the dryer was above my head. I'd never get this again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 PM

I just went online to search for a laundry detergent with "safe" ingredients that is also "HE" (high-efficiency) and see Seventh Generation brand. It may allow me to keep my current Maytag, which requires HE detergent (I'll have to do a skin test).

Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've had a Maytag model similar to yours for 6 mos now, no bells and whistles and a nice large tub....but my model requires HE detergent, and I'm allergic commercial detergents of any kind including HE. I've been using a non-HE detergent and in rereading my manual I see I am wrecking my machine. I'll look into your model. I often wash quilts, feather quilts, blankets, etc and so must ahve the large tub. So much for the stackers.

At my previous house I had a stacking (separate units) set. Front loader washer. A killer to bend into the interior to get all the washed clothes out, and the dryer was above my head. I'd never get this again.
I looked through the manual for this machine - and it doesn't say anything about HE detergent. Neither does my manual. Robyn

Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I looked through the manual for this machine - and it doesn't say anything about HE detergent. Neither does my manual. Robyn
I stupidly did not read the Maytag manual on my machine. I assumed, since it is a basic model with no bells and whistles, that I could use my usual detergent. It creates suds all over the tub that sometimes don't go away when the cycle is done. I've been so busy in the months since I bought it that I just ignored the problem. Then I read the manual and it all became clear. I have a service contract so I'll get that visit to see how much I may have wrecked the machine. Then I either have to find an HE detergent I can live with (dermatologically) or sell and buy what you got.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I stupidly did not read the Maytag manual on my machine. I assumed, since it is a basic model with no bells and whistles, that I could use my usual detergent. It creates suds all over the tub that sometimes don't go away when the cycle is done. I've been so busy in the months since I bought it that I just ignored the problem. Then I read the manual and it all became clear. I have a service contract so I'll get that visit to see how much I may have wrecked the machine. Then I either have to find an HE detergent I can live with (dermatologically) or sell and buy what you got.
If you have a lot of suds - that may only mean that you have very soft water - and/or are putting in too much detergent. The recommended for my machine is a full "cap container" - and I only put in 1/4 of that. Makes plenty of suds (but not too many). I don't use any detergent at all when washing towels (how dirty do towels get if you just use them to dry off after you've taken a shower?). Robyn

Old 07-11-2014, 05:24 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I just figured out that the washer in my new place is a 1978 model and my dryer is a 1982 version. Hopefully, I can get another 10-15 years out of them.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
^^^ If they are not electronic the chances are good they will last.

Mom's Kenmore Dryer from the 60's stopped working and she was resigned to replacing it...

I bought a new belt for less than $5 and good as new... so to speak.

Had a discussion the other day with a retired appliance repair guy.

He said we have gone from a repair to a replace society with the advent of electronics.

Also, in the old days... no one would toss a major appliance like a family refrigerator unless the compressor died... Washers and Dryers unless the motor was shot...

Now we toss because the new circuit board is 50% of the cost to replace and you can't take it back if you guessed wrong...

In 22 years my brother is on his third dishwasher, second microwave, second gas cooktop, second hot water dispenser and second garbage disposal...

So far his GE profile refrigerator is still working as is his Frigidaire oven and gas water heater...

Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ If they are not electronic the chances are good they will last.

Mom's Kenmore Dryer from the 60's stopped working and she was resigned to replacing it...

I bought a new belt for less than $5 and good as new... so to speak.

Had a discussion the other day with a retired appliance repair guy.

He said we have gone from a repair to a replace society with the advent of electronics.

I used to work for a guy starting in 2000. He had a lot of background in the appliance part business on the manufacturing side. He was deriding me for not giving up my 1994 Kitchenaid washer and dryer in favor of Whirlpool's new offerings.

Fast forward to 2014. He is on his THIRD set of washer-dryers and has spent $2500-3000 in total for the two new sets.

I have spent about $400 using appliance repairmen for a washer transmission and a dryer motor. Both repairmen have basically begged me NOT to try the new modern washers as they are difficult and expensive to maintain (and are less reliable).

Now my old boss claims that I would make up the difference in water savings - a claim that is unlikely as my water bill is generally under $30 a QUARTER.

==================

I moved to a small town recently. I stopped in the local appliance store to set up cable TV/internet in my new place. The owner repairman was in the back room swearing about how bad the new Kenmore laundry machines are since they have sourced from Korea.

He came out front, saw me, and apologized about his rant in the back room. I asked him what machines he recommended these days. He asked me what I had. When I told him that they were Maytag and Kenmore from an older era, he said "keep them." He told me that no matter how old the machine, he would try to find any parts I needed as long as I wanted. I thought that to be surprising as he does sell new equipment. He was frustrated because no one could provide him the schematics of a 2013 Kenmore washer that needed repairs again.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
^^^

It really is true... seen it , heard about it and family has experienced it.

One neighbor spent around $2,000 for Neptune Washer/Dryer pair plus stand and what not.

She had an older Kenmore pair in great shape and sold them to a tenant of mine for $100.

That was maybe 12 years ago and she has already replaced her expensive machines once and the washer once more.

My tenant has had zero problems and she has 3 kids so they get used a lot...

Neighbor even said it was one of the dumbest things she had ever done...

Old 07-14-2014, 01:53 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
A recipe for washing machines=washing soda, borax, and Fels Naptha soap. You can put them all in a Vitamix or maybe a blender. Sometimes I just make scrapings of the soap with a paring knife. Anyway, it's non allergenic, makes clothing really clean, and it's supposed to work in those front loaders (which I don't want or have.) The Fels Naptha soap only works in hot water. For cold water I use Woolite, just a little bit of it and maybe some borax as a booster.

My giant double door fridge that has an ice maker died yesterday. I live in a rental so I don't have to pay to replace or repair it and the funny thing is that the freezer side still works. The fridge part is dead. Previous posters were saying how they hate these fridges because the ice maker breaks. So far the ice maker is great. Not so, the fridge itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement