Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Electric Heat is at the tops in efficiency...

Efficiency may or may not equal lower cost depending on the cost of energy available.

Historically, Washington State has an abundance of low cost electric power and natural gas is not as prevalent...

Propane is more expensive than Natural Gas and that has to be factored.
One would never, if it could be avoided, heat with electricity in the Northeast. Maybe condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 05:54 PM

241 posts, read 272,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
It's a HOA thing. No one wants to live in a neighborhood with $500k+ houses with exposed propane tanks like you see in a trailer park. Robyn
In WI it is a very common site and at some very nice homes. Have not seen any trailer parks around us so could not comment on that.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
It's a HOA thing. No one wants to live in a neighborhood with $500k+ houses with exposed propane tanks like you see in a trailer park. Robyn

Would somebody in your neighborhood actually place one where it could be seen from the street?
I'm rural and mine is still in the back of the house.
In areas where propane is common(no natural gas available) , the value of the house has nothing to do with it and there is no resemblance to "trailer parks" .

Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Would somebody in your neighborhood actually place one where it could be seen from the street?
I'm rural and mine is still in the back of the house.
In areas where propane is common(no natural gas available) , the value of the house has nothing to do with it and there is no resemblance to "trailer parks" .
I've never seen a propane tank anywhere other than a front yard here (buried). Perhaps it has something to do with the length of the lines from the trucks to the tanks (trucks deliver from the street - they don't drive up driveways). Or rules/regs about minimum distances from tanks to houses. Or rules/regs about maximum distances from tanks to various appliances (like pool heaters). Or maybe it's a combination of several things. Robyn

Old 07-18-2014, 01:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
One would never, if it could be avoided, heat with electricity in the Northeast. Maybe condos.
My Washington State property is all electric as are the neighbors.

Just about everyone has very efficient electric heat pumps.

We also have a pellet stove in the family room, a wood insert in the living room fireplace and a small wood stove in the kitchen area... and plenty of wood just from storm damage.

When power was out for a week in January the two wood stoves/Insert kept things livable when temps were in the low teens.

Only thing now is Olympia has no burn days at times.

My brother just put in 1,000 feet of electric radiant heating in his old Eichler style home... they have lots of windows, on slab and no attic space...

The plan is to size the net meter solar array for the electric radiant heating load... The current kW charges are as much a 34 cents... so very expensive in California.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Even the most efficient heat pumps aren't good when it gets really cold. During the Christmas Freeze of 1989 - we were up visiting my inlaws in central NC (not the mountains). And - with outdoor temps at 10-15 degrees or so - the heat pump (which is usually ok in a part of the world like this) couldn't heat the house over 60. Also - a lot of heat pumps worked so miserably and/or failed that water pipes were breaking all over the place. This was basically a once in a lifetime freeze for a lot of the south. But led me to believe that heat pumps weren't a good idea in areas that get really cold weather on a regular basis. Robyn

P.S. We have a heat pump. Works great and efficiently most of the time here. But - when we get really cold mornings (like in the 30's or low 40's) - the "emergency" heat strips will kick in. And they are big power hogs.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Even the most efficient heat pumps aren't good when it gets really cold. During the Christmas Freeze of 1989 - we were up visiting my inlaws in central NC (not the mountains). And - with outdoor temps at 10-15 degrees or so - the heat pump (which is usually ok in a part of the world like this) couldn't heat the house over 60. Also - a lot of heat pumps worked so miserably and/or failed that water pipes were breaking all over the place. This was basically a once in a lifetime freeze for a lot of the south. But led me to believe that heat pumps weren't a good idea in areas that get really cold weather on a regular basis. Robyn

P.S. We have a heat pump. Works great and efficiently most of the time here. But - when we get really cold mornings (like in the 30's or low 40's) - the "emergency" heat strips will kick in. And they are big power hogs.
Typical Heat Pumps in the Pacific Northwest also have backup or supplemental electric heat coils...

Mom doesn't like Heat Pump Heating... she likes the feel of the hot air and my heat pump does a good job maintaining indoor temps... it's just that she always says she feels a cool draft and at her gas heated home it's a hot draft.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
You very rarely see electric heat in the northeast. There used to be an ad on tv about Scaaaaaaary Electric Heat, it is so extremely expensive here. Cheapest is gas heat and that's not so cheap with these cold winters. Next is oil heat. Heat pumps? That's something they have in the south but supposedly they are working on developing some version that can be used here. It would be nice to not have to worry about the outrageous heating bills.

Back where I used to live everyone had wood stoves or pellet stoves and it kept the expenses down but polluted the air.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Seems where ever I am wood heat is under fire... ;-)

My brother just bought a place that only has wood heat... it's not going to work for them since no one is home during the day to keep the home fires burning...

They do have a small propane tank for the water heater.

Usually, the most efficient for the location is what most of the neighbor already have...

As to appliances for seniors... I think the biggest thing is to keep it simple... I know several with memory issues and the last thing they want to do is see a blinking clock... I can only imagine something programmable would never make it out of the box!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
DH chose a French door style (which I like and would buy again) and HAD to have the water and ice dispenser in the door, which I think is a waste. The filters for the water are expensive and I prefer tap water.
Did have a leak and had to replace the water lines once. The one advantage is the grandkids can use it. But I wouldn't miss it.I find food in the freezer easier to locate with the French doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement