Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's fine; I'm correct as always.

Anyone who wishes more information may check a larger dictionary. The two in my library that I primarily use are the Merriam-Webster Second International (that's the 1933 edition) and OED II.
Virgo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Save fresh vegetable parts we normally throw away, like the fresh greens on carrot bunches, celery stalks gone limp, onion skins, older garlic, outer cabbage leaves, etc and add onions along with fresh herbs from your containers and make a soup stock. I don't boil it, just simmer and then cool and then freeze. Good for soups, something nutritious to drink while sick or fasting, etc.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Las Vegas is a good place to live on the cheap!

We have an amazing dollar store here. The 99centsOnly Store. No it's not all crap and plastic. I get TP, all my cleaning and laundry supplies there plus they always have some amazing bargain. Once it was Challenge Butter for a buck! Then there are all the Hispanic groceries. The produce is usually better looking than the big chains and cheap. Limes and tomatoes 99c/pound!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
Shredded cheese is listed at $7/2 lbs - I routinely buy it on sale for $2.50/lb. I have NO idea where anyone is buying that at the $7.50 per pound it would have to cost to get their "savings" of $8 off 2 lbs.
Packaged shredded cheese is always a bad idea. It lacks flavor and it always goes bad quickly. It's low quality cheese. I buy solid cheese and shred it in a box grater. It takes hardly a momeent. Doesn't every home in civilized counties have one of these?

Amazon.com: Norpro 339 Stainless Steel Grater: Home & Kitchen

Now, I have a question? Does anyone know how long I can expect to keep large containers of Kalamata olives. It seems that it should be indefinite, but I do wonder. I hate to throw out food.

As you can see, the price is right.

Amazon.com : Roland Pitted Baby Kalamata Olives, 4-Pounds 6-Ounce Jar : Kalamata Olives Condiments : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 07-08-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Virgo?
Yes, of course. Now, be truthful: did you think I seemed to be a Virgo OR do you recall the discussion last year about September birthdays? Although I'm a professional psychic I'm very much a skeptic regarding astrology.

Now for my money-saving tip for everyone who loves Christmas fruitcake: don't buy them, bake your own and start doing it now. They need to be sealed in tins with rum, brandy, etc. for at least ten weeks (longer is better) so it's time to get going.

I know that there are some great bakeries that ship anywhere, but you can make one yourself that you'll like far more because you can select the ingredients. You'll save a bundle as well. I'll be baking 24 so that I can have them from Halloween until some time in April or May. Australians eat them all year, but I believe that being deprived for a few months heightens the gustatory pleasure.

If it's your first time try different combinations of ingredients; do keep records on or in the tin. Why not tailor the fruitcakes to your palate? Surely you do this with everything else you prepare.

You can make something even tastier than this, but for far less money. So start looking at recipes now.

https://www.collinstreet.com/pages/o...luxe_fruitcake

Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, of course. Now, be truthful: did you think I seemed to be a Virgo OR do you recall the discussion last year about September birthdays? Although I'm a professional psychic I'm very much a skeptic regarding astrology.
No recollection whatsoever about Sept birthdays. You are a classic.

(the good stuff: frugal, fastidious, gourmet, detailed, analytical, generous)

Old 07-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Annoyed by the store price of ground mustard, I checked Amazon and found this.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been making mustard in small quantities tailored to my own taste since buying it; I only needed a small amount of mustard flour. ''What am I doing with the rest?, you may ask. ''Surely there must be enough to last several lifetimes.'' The answer is I've been selling it to people I know.. People don't shop. I've sold about 20% of it so far and realized $60. I'm not buying jars; I just use what I have around. I'm eating better and making money doing it. The hourly rate for repacking mustard is extremely high.

I don't smoke, but I know some of you do so here's a way to save. When you buy your cigarettes buy a cigarette roller and papers. Save your butts. Why waste all of the tobacco in the butts? Silly me, I thought cigarette papers were just for making combustible cartridges for blackpowder guns.

I picked up a 10 0z. jar of Polar Strawberry in Light Syrup at Walmart for $1. The strawberries are a bit on the soft side but not too sweet. This product should be fine for pancakes or a banana split. I found that the syrup is very yummy when added to Celestial Seasoning peach-flavored iced tea. In fact, it's so good that I wish I could buy the syrup without the strawberries. As it is, however, I probably have enough syrup for at least a gallon of tea.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
We don't have Costco here, we have Sam's. Either way as a single person a membership doesn't really work for me and I used to waste so much from the large sizes of so many things. They didn't carry my pet food brand, that would have helped.

I can (pre-retirement be sort of brand picky so I don't go here much. But if you aren't into that Aldi's can be a really good place to save on groceries. My mother was extremely frugal and loved it. Bring your own bags and change for the shopping cart (you get it back when you return the cart). Aldi's has some sort of European, German I think, affiliation and they usually have some european cookies and choclate in the first aisle as you walk in. They are not huge cavernous places which can be kind of nice if you don't feel like walking to the back of a 2 acre store to get a gal of milk. They are usually tucked into older shopping plaza's.

https://www.aldi.us/en/site-map/

Last edited by Giesela; 07-20-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Does anyone buy through Amazon's ''Subscribe and Save" program? There's a 15% saving on a large number of products. There's no commitment and the user can skip or increase products at will. delivery is on the same day each month. I'll link to some of this month's items in the hope that it will stimulate interest. Those big institutional cans are a real winner for savings. Just transfer the contents to glass jars. Some canning jars can be frozen; look on the jar. This works well for me since I make a couple of gallons of marinara sauce at one time and freeze it.

I've really started eating artichoke hearts con mucho gusto; I easily go through a 5# can in three weeks. A sprinkle of fresh black pepper is the only addition needed. The savings are significant over the little glass jars in the store.

Anyone who uses roasted red peppers can save a good deal by buying large cans. I learned that because they float they must be kept in a jar with brine up to the top if they're not used very quickly. Brine is dirt cheap to make. Use kosher or canning salt. Try some roasted red pepper in a grilled cheese sandwich.

I love ginger ale; This is currently my favorite. It's not really a bargain, but it really tastes good.

Amazon.com : Fever-Tree Premium Ginger Ale, 16.9-Ounce (Pack of 8) : Soda Soft Drinks : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Amazon isn't always the cheapest. I had been buying La Tourangelle roasted walnut oil there for less than seven dollars per half liter; it suddenly rose to more than ten dollars. I found a place called vinemarket.com which is apparently connected to Amazon in some way since I can pay using my Amazon account. I bought three half liters for $24.95. I also bought three jars of Once Again tahini (really good stuff ) for 8.99 each. I first found this brand at a local health food store for 11.29, typical health food store gouging. Shipping was free since my order was over $49.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-13-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 03:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
I use the Subscribe and Save for things I can't find in my local stores or cheaper than my local stores.
Used to be 5 or 6 different things.

Slowly but surely, I've gotten the letter that starts with "We're writing to let you know that we are no longer able to offer (insert name) as part of the Subscribe & Save program at Amazon.com."

So if you like it, buy a LOT

The only thing I have left on the subscribe list is a brand of pasta.

Last edited by Gandalara; 10-13-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement