Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM

19,374 posts, read 27,620,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Try getting a set of noise canceling headphones that you can wear.

Bose - Better Sound Through Research
Oh Bull Crap. Bose makes great equipment, but does a phenomenal job of marketing. For the average person, especially one who is already hard of hearing, there is NO reason to spend that much money.

These were the first set of wireless headphones that we bought hard of hearing husband after he busted the crappy TV Ears: Steinheiser they were very good, but eventually he decided they were too heavy.

These smaller, lighter Sony's are likely going to replace those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,414 times
Wow, thank you all for your responses. I put it in retirement forum because part of the question has to do with going into more debt in ones 60's and 70's etc. in return for a better place to live.

To clarify on our space, we have 3 rooms total. The bottom floor is one medium sized room with galley kitchen and LR. Upstairs is bedroom and shared office space with some workout equipment. We are definitely cramped in spite of creating wall shelving, there is no extra space. On Other Hand, our mortgage will be paid off in 10 years when i'm 75, god willing.

I am the one with hearing aids which amplify tv sound, so i end up removing them. I never thought of noise cancelling head set, maybe i could wear it sometimes, and he could wear a bluetooth headset other times.

I would love more space, but the cost is more debt. Things are manageable here money wise, but the idea of room to breath feels so good (other place has 3 bedrooms upstairs and 800 more sf. I envision his tv/ office room, our bedroom and i could put my office in third room with workout stuff.
Also, no small thing, new place has air conditioning, and our current place is like a stove and bad air flow.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:09 AM

30,274 posts, read 16,029,603 times
I guess I'd basically do the list thing. It puts all the pros and cons right in front of you. Advantages/disadvantages of each place.

Then look at the lists and put the things in order of importance to you.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM

895 posts, read 1,132,429 times
If it were me, given the facts you shared, NO, I would not take on more debt. I wish you all the best. Let us know what you decide.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,579,293 times
Don't give up your garden, it sounds like the only place you have for your own space and you might end up being resentful of that fact. If husband won't do something to alleviate the TV situation I think you need to keep looking for a bigger space that doesn't have the pricey HOA fees so you can still travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement