Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,886,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks, Armory, for the reminder that it's not my problem if she can't handle it. Funny---she told me all sorts of things about herself (has fibromyalgia, which doesn't seem to prevent her from doing stuff she really wants to do...and depression, bad enough to be hospitalized) which I accepted fully because I don't expect her to fit my mold of what a perfect friend/human being would be...but she can't accept this little quirk of mine since it doesn't fit into her desires of wanting some friends to hang out with doing the stuff she wants to do when and where she wants it.

I like the idea of making new friends, which she is, but not if it is going to require my doing things which are uncomfortable for me and having to pretend that I'm something I am not (which would be someone who enjoys travel).

I dislike people who dangle this in front of others. When and where she wants it fits into too many mouths of people I know.

Then I have a friend who gets indignant about things that don't really concern him - his feathers get ruffled for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,047,627 times
OP, it sounds like you live a full and enjoyable life, and isn't that what retirement is supposed to be all about (if we are lucky!)?

I almost always find the IDEA of traveling more appealing than the reality turns out to be, so you are not alone in that!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,126,113 times
Thanks, Karen. Yes, ironically, I find I live a fuller life by not traveling. I go to the gym daily---on past vacations, there wasn't much exercise (or at most, walking). I eat better. I get to cook my own food. I socialize more (it can be kind of lonely just being with a quiet husband for a week). I balance rest and activity (on vacations I felt like I had to go go go all the time to see everything/make it worth my while). I commune with my cat. I make it a point to learn something new online.

I too have always found the idea of travel more appealing than the reality. This was especially the case when I went to Hong Kong for a week (chosen because there was a good deal). I thought I would be exposed to all this ancient Chinese culture/wisdom, etc.----but there wasn't even a Chinese opera to see! And it just seemed like NY, only more crowded. And...the (Chinese) food is actually better in Atlanta than it was in most Hong Kong restaurants!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Exactly.....there are a few posters on here (won't mention any names but if you search around you'll find them....one having the initials "ER") who think they are the sole arbiters of what is "normal" and/or dictate what is acceptable as far as living life goes.

They look down upon or judge people who don't live up to their ideals of how life should be lived based on their narrow mindsets.
Speaking of judgmental! Too funny. Something about a pot and a kettle comes immediately to mind.

Having lived in nine states, three other countries and traveled this one rather extensively, other than visiting family on occasion I feel no pressing need to travel at all anymore. We live in a lovely, lakeside community with plenty of opportunities to become active and involved but I'll pass. I'm a gregarious, anti-social (figure that one out) and quite satisfied with my own company my wife's and neighbors on occasion.

We're all different and that's the end of that story!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,464,477 times
Live your life the way you wish to live it... ...you have earned it!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,464,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I too have always found the idea of travel more appealing than the reality. This was especially the case when I went to Hong Kong for a week (chosen because there was a good deal). I thought I would be exposed to all this ancient Chinese culture/wisdom, etc.----but there wasn't even a Chinese opera to see! And it just seemed like NY, only more crowded. And...the (Chinese) food is actually better in Atlanta than it was in most Hong Kong restaurants!
Wouldn't you have been better off going to China? Did you read about Hong Kong (before visiting) and its ties with China? The cultural, traditional, language implications, etc? It irks me when people make such silly arguments primarily due to their ignorance! What you have written is very similar to tourists that visit India and expect to see snake charmers, cows and elephants right from the minute they step off the plane!!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,019 times
I think we "Old Folks" should do whatever we want to. Me, I do travel, and, to this point, still enjoy it. I have two dogs and hire a house sitter (same one for the last 5 years), who stays at my house with them.... they are not spoiled, much!

In any case, do what gives you pleasure!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,126,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Wouldn't you have been better off going to China? Did you read about Hong Kong (before visiting) and its ties with China? The cultural, traditional, language implications, etc? It irks me when people make such silly arguments primarily due to their ignorance! What you have written is very similar to tourists that visit India and expect to see snake charmers, cows and elephants right from the minute they step off the plane!!
Perhaps I would have better off going to China. As I said, it was chosen because I got a deal on it. And I wasn't ignorant about it. Of course I knew about its ties with China (it wasn't under China at the time, though). I don't get what you mean. I didn't expect to see people doing ancient Chinese folk dancing when I stepped off the plane. But I did expect/hope it would be different than NY....or what would be the point of going? Maybe it's just me, but guide books make a place sound so interesting....but often the reality of something isn't so interesting.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,231,241 times
Im with you on this. Im near retirement. Ive traveled a lot during my younger years. I now enjoy staying home, and I think Id miss my dogs more than they'd miss me if I left to travel. Theres not much I really want to see now in person; I would like a weekend in the Blue Ridge Parkway area one fall, and maybe a road trip thru the western states, but thats about all I yearn for. Exotic places...meh....I can see them on TV shows in the comfort of my own home.

Long distance traveling seems like a lot of cost and aggravation to me, when I can sit in the comfort of my own home and watch the travel channel. Not to mention theres a zillion things to do within a day trip of where I live, and even when I leave for a day, I can't wait to get home.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,945,916 times
Normal is a relative term. Generally, everyone thinks he/she is normal and the rest of the world is abnormal Do what you like, and who cares what the rest of the world thinks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement