Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times

Advertisements

People who have actually done it have told me that they formed a corporation for a family business and a personal estate ... and annually issue a prescribed number of 'shares' to their heirs until ownership has been transferred (They retain a controlling 'share'). The overall value is determined by an appraisal at the time the 'Corporation' is formed.

I'm guessing that if the heirs later decide to sell the property, they will be required to pay taxes on a new, stepped-up basis. Does this make sense, or am I missing something (such as estate size or tax implications)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Many states have a LadyBird deed, named after Lady Bird Johnson. You can google it. It's an alternative to a trust, just for the owned home.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,730 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Very state dependent. I use a living trust and llc's . the STEPUP basis of the trust is handy for taxes.

Up to allowable limits.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:24 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
People who have actually done it have told me that they formed a corporation for a family business and a personal estate ... and annually issue a prescribed number of 'shares' to their heirs until ownership has been transferred (They retain a controlling 'share'). The overall value is determined by an appraisal at the time the 'Corporation' is formed.

I'm guessing that if the heirs later decide to sell the property, they will be required to pay taxes on a new, stepped-up basis. Does this make sense, or am I missing something (such as estate size or tax implications)?
This is a very common tactic among people with large estates. It's called a Family Limited Partnership (FLP). You have described it fairly well.

It only makes sense if your estate is over the tax limit. Or will be. It costs several thousand dollars a year to maintain properly, and have annual appraisals. So for a <$5 million estate, probably not worth it. Over that and it can make sense.

I am familiar with these, ask if you have any questions. Just remember, IANAL.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This is a very common tactic among people with large estates. It's called a Family Limited Partnership (FLP). You have described it fairly well.

It only makes sense if your estate is over the tax limit. Or will be. It costs several thousand dollars a year to maintain properly, and have annual appraisals. So for a <$5 million estate, probably not worth it. Over that and it can make sense.

I am familiar with these, ask if you have any questions. Just remember, IANAL.
Thanks; I figured there must be some common name for this. 'Sadly', we are not quite in the $5M+ estate category. Are there cases where it still makes sense to transfer property this way? (Annual appraisals?)

Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Very state dependent. I use a living trust and llc's . the STEPUP basis of the trust is handy for taxes.

Up to allowable limits.
We've also used living trusts, durable POA, and other similar vehicles. Overall, I believe the tax picture is only going to get worse and, like many, I'm looking for legal ways to avoid as much 'double taxation' as possible. -- "Gifting", for example, seems like a good strategy.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Many states have a LadyBird deed, named after Lady Bird Johnson. You can google it. It's an alternative to a trust, just for the owned home.
Thanks. That looks like a very interesting alternative to a life trust, in that it seems to allow the owner to retain control of the property during their lifetime (vs a quitclaim deed)

Florida Lady Bird Deed | Enhanced Life Estate Deed in Florida | Florida Probate Solutions

Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,348,414 times
This can help but got to a CPA that has EXPERIENCE in this area. Be sure to understand the day to day accounting and tax requirements.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 AM

59 posts, read 85,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
This can help but got to a CPA that has EXPERIENCE in this area. Be sure to understand the day to day accounting and tax requirements.

Good advice !!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2014, 04:55 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Thanks. That looks like a very interesting alternative to a life trust, in that it seems to allow the owner to retain control of the property during their lifetime (vs a quitclaim deed)

Florida Lady Bird Deed | Enhanced Life Estate Deed in Florida | Florida Probate Solutions
The Lady Bird Deed is actually a property quitclaim deed, made out for the heir, but it doesn't go into effect until the last owner dies. It's legal in Florida and we set up one of these deeds on our retirement house/property for our daughter, so that the ownership of the house automatically goes to her when the last one of us ( either myself or my husband) die. The attorney that helped us write our will suggested that we do this if we wanted to leave our daughter the house, as it won't have to go through probate this way.

We don't have a mortgage on this house, so it wasn't an issue for us, but I'd wonder if there were a mortgage on a property, how that would play into the writing up and carrying out of a Lady Bird deed. Because I know that mortgage lenders consider the terms of a mortgage null and void if the owners whose names are listed on the mortgage change. Unless, of course, they approve of a new owner assuming an old mortgage- I haven't seen that for years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement