Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

One of the joys of summer (especially when you live in a climate with horrible winters) are 2-3 day summer getaways. You don't always need a long complicated vacation. I was wondering what other people have done this summer (or still plan on doing) for short day trips or getaways. Sometimes a short time away can be as refreshing and renewing as a long trip.

Me? Well, I went to the Cape overnight and I've gone to Maine twice but just for two overnights. Mostly doing nothing in particular, just seeing the sights, taking pictures, learning new things. My next excursion will be to a mountain top in New Hampshire in search of wild blueberries. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
We haven't done anything so far other than a few day trips. I've done some nice things with friends, such as Tanglewood and the Clark, and several local arts festivals.

This is the summer of finishing the house renovations, three years running. We only have weekends for this because we still freelance and also get the grandtwins for a day each week. With just two days to work on the house and the thought of winter always on the horizon, we have to keep going. It's outdoor stuff first with the front porch and plantings so they can take root before the cold. Then insulation under an extension to a downstairs bedroom. Then new gutters. Then disposal of all kinds of things related to renovations to the dump. I'm going to reach for my glass of red wine now.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 PM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
scheduled day trips this week: local festival, gondola ride in ski area, San Juan Islands

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We haven't done anything so far other than a few day trips. I've done some nice things with friends, such as Tanglewood and the Clark, and several local arts festivals.

This is the summer of finishing the house renovations, three years running. We only have weekends for this because we still freelance and also get the grandtwins for a day each week. With just two days to work on the house and the thought of winter always on the horizon, we have to keep going. It's outdoor stuff first with the front porch and plantings so they can take root before the cold. Then insulation under an extension to a downstairs bedroom. Then new gutters. Then disposal of all kinds of things related to renovations to the dump. I'm going to reach for my glass of red wine now.
Tanglewood (I used to call it TangleFOOT due to huge numbers of people who attended) is the perfect example of a day out that makes you feel great. Museums too-yes! I'm sorry that your work and home are tying you down so much, but jealous of the grandtwin situation. Thank goodness for these little day trips anyway.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One of the joys of summer (especially when you live in a climate with horrible winters) are 2-3 day summer getaways.
Ironic. Our summer getaways are to escape the brutal heat/humidity. Winters are great. Actually, 8-9 months are great, but July/August can be... not so great.

Over the next 2 1/2 months, we have 5 days in Aspen, four days in Portland (OR, not Maine), 5 days in Santa Fe and then 2 weeks in Kauai.

Other than the Hawaii trip, we mostly do shorter excursions. Gives us a break from Houston summers. However, next summer we are considering spending 6-8 weeks somewhere in the Rockies. Colorado to Montana area. We find the older we get, the harder it is to handle summer heat/humidity. It didn't even seem to bother us 10 years ago; now it's all we can do to avoid it.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:46 AM

106,564 posts, read 108,713,667 times
headed to montreal in 2 weeks. got back from punta cana in the dominican republic in may.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Headed to Rockpot today. Lobster festval

Old 08-02-2014, 10:27 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,272 times
we spent two days at the delaware beaches, primarily to connect with friends who live a distance from us, and who were staying there for a week.

i hadn't been to these beaches in probably twenty years, and the congestion,- non-weekend- the traffic, the general over building of the entire area was really shocking to me. in the last twenty-five years if we went to " the beach" it was to a timeshare we owned on edisto island south of charleston, s.c. i loved that area, the beaches were clean, not over crowded, and traffic was not an issue. it has been a while since i've been there so that may have changed as well, but the delaware/maryland beaches left me feeling very stressed. the only possible exception would be assateague island in maryland-and it's been several years since there also.

there is a pretty low-key beach and beach town about 40 minutes from us which to me is worth spending time there on a summer afternoon . betterton beach is where the chesapeake bay meets the sassafras river. sandy beach, shade trees, picnic tables, grills, swimming protected from nettles by wiring, concession stand, and changing rooms. there are always people there but never a crowd. we spent a really nice afternoon there a few weeks ago, and i'd choose that setting anyday over the in-season delaware beach scene.

castsy girl

Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
Just retired to where we have gone for the past 25 years to "get away" and haven't felt the urge to travel yet. Will be back in CT for a few weeks in September. Look forward to being able to RV during the winter months without having to get through the northeast I-95 nightmare first.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
We live on the Cape but like to get away. This week we traveled to Little Compton, RI on Wednesday and yesterday we went to Wellfleet. Tomorrow its Boston. Love changing things up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement