Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 08:54 AM

16,368 posts, read 30,120,091 times

Advertisements

Remember folks, there is always the "IGNORE" button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:53 AM

6,533 posts, read 7,021,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Remember folks, there is always the "IGNORE" button.

No fun in that.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 AM

14,866 posts, read 12,004,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Juvenile attempts to try to rationalize evasion of each person's own personal obligation to be a member of society along with the rest of us don't leave much room for response other than ridiculing the inability to understand simple concepts about life in society with others.
So I see you STILL haven't answered Old_Cold's question about what you, personally are doing for those poor folks who can't/won't do for themselves. Surely it's something grand, since you're so willing to pontificate ad-nauseum about what others should do.

More pseudo-intellectual blathering doesn't answer the question.....

Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,207,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many of those going to college in their 40's and 50's either never attended in the first place, and or are doing so to gain skills/degree necessary to find employment. Many of those students are men whom back in their day (through the 1980's and perhaps 1990's) graduated high school and had no trouble finding work. Now of course you need a college degree to work in the mail room of some businesses.

The other shoe falls because many tail end Boomers have been downsized, Sigma Sixed, Leaned, outsourced, or whatever out of jobs in their original college major. Over the past ten or so years vast numbers of positions have been eliminated including lower, middle and even high management/administration. Those were the jobs many "middle aged" men and women would find themselves in or aspiring to by this time in their lives. Instead they have been given the push.
Many of these 40s and 50s people have difficulty finding jobs. The tech industry favors younger workers. Younger workers have up to date education, skills, and simpler lives. Older workers may be more mature but not necessarily more experienced or better at technology. They are usually more entitled and have more complicated lives.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,852,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Many of these 40s and 50s people have difficulty finding jobs. The tech industry favors younger workers. Younger workers have up to date education, skills, and simpler lives. Older workers may be more mature but not necessarily more experienced or better at technology. They are usually more entitled and have more complicated lives.
I think you are right, and I suspect that your comments are valid in a broader context that just the tech industry. I am so glad I retired in 2005 at the age of 61 and therefore no longer have to negotiate the labor market.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Eh. You're so unaware of what people a lot of the posters in thread are trying to telling you, and when you disagree with them you attack them personally and spin their words from the top of your high horse, that's it like talking with a tree.

Which is going to be financially unsustainable--the young generations are not in a financial position to do so. You can only increase your taxes and fees so much across all classes.

bUU in the quote above, doesn't seem to understand that the very greed that the aging Boomers, and caring for the elderly and paying their retirement, has been brought them on by them. Unsustainable and growing debts, unwilling to make comprises to entitlement program, ect. It's going to hurt when the tax dollars run out to pay for all of this stuff, because it's coming as you don't have a up-and-coming class to keep paying for it on top of everything else.
With all the young immigrants from various backgrounds, no one would support sacrificing productive adults and their children, aka our future, for old white people.

Unfortunately, the fiscal difficulties are not he only thing brought onto them by them. There are lots of things down the road.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
sorry there buu, the pity ends when their own determination ended.. i will leave it to you to worry about the world. i have enough to worry about just making sure things go well in my life. i suggest you write them a check , that should solve the problem. other than that i have no clue what you even want anyone to do.

i already got the adopted family the rent stabilization board stuck us with to subsidize forever when they used landlords as political pawns..
You are wasting your time on this discussion. Most people, most of the time, look after their own interests. If one doesn't recognize that fact and doesn't acknowledge its inevitability, then that is ignorance and failure of education.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,664,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The USG has taken it upon itself to run these programs and we pay taxes so that the USG can take care of these people. Over $1 trillion a year is spent on means tested programs for the poor (not including SS/medicare). So it's not like these poor are left in the gutter to fend for themselves. The USG provides or subsidizes the basic necessities for many.
So what you seem to be saying that is that the concerns raised in the article cited in the OP should be addressed by reliance, and as needed, bolstering of the government's social safety net. That's fine. I don't have an issue with those who support, as you appear to be supporting, society's efforts to ensure the basic needs of those less fortunate are satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
No fun in that.
More like that there is no responsibility for one's own reaction to having a moral perspective expressed that the reader doesn't want to consider in the context of their own behavior and what they themselves support. Many people simply want to care only about themselves, in the manner several people in this thread have clearly expressed, without having to consider that self-motivation in the context of the broader society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So I see you STILL haven't answered Old_Cold's question about what you, personally are doing for those poor folks who can't/won't do for themselves. Surely it's something grand, since you're so willing to pontificate ad-nauseum about what others should do. More pseudo-intellectual blathering doesn't answer the question.....
More self-centered rationalization for refusing to even allow yourself to understand the moral perspectives I'm expressing in their proper context.

This thread is about the poor elderly. It isn't about you. It isn't about me. Living in society means more than just getting to take more and more for yourself.

Petulant self-centeredness represents a major risk to the poor elderly. As more and more Americans care more and more just for themselves, the reasonable measures toward supporting a sufficient social safety neat are endangered.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:24 AM

106,012 posts, read 107,976,655 times
i think we can end this repetive discussion , it is going no where at this stage.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 AM

247 posts, read 242,637 times
First of all, this thread isn't about the poor and the elderly, its about the large portion of people, 31% who have no retirement savings.

Let me shine a little light on one of those that makes up the 31%.

I live in a retirement community and one of my neighbors who lives down the street has a son who will be forty by the end of the year. He is a profesional in the performing arts and performs at venues around the world. His work is sporatic and when he is not working he stays with his father rent free. He likes to play golf and does that on an almost daily basis. He also leases a 4 series BMW (monthly payments $700-$800). The other day we were sitting around talking and he just happened to mention that he had nothing saved for retirement and that he probably should start thinking about it.

I know this is just one person and that there are some people who are not in a position to put aside savings, but I would be willing to bet there are three people who could for every person who couldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement