Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

Well, once again, the people who use predictive models have been shown to be wrong. For the last 10 years or so, I have read the Chicken Littles' predictions about life expectancy going down mainly due to poor eating habits and global warming and lo and behold, except for suicide which is going up, Americans are living longer. And, they don't know why.

'Americans are living longer than ever before, according to a new government report filled mostly with good news. U.S. life expectancy inched up again and death rates fell. Rates also fell for most of the leading causes of death with one exception — the suicide rate reached its highest point in 25 years. That figure has been increasing since 2000 and "it’s really hard to say why," said Robert Anderson, who oversees the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control branch that issued the report Wednesday."

The Associated Press story is here:

Americans living longer as most death rates fall | The Salt Lake Tribune

The actual CDC report, "Mortality In The United States" isn't on their CDC website yet as it is being released today, 10/8/14, according to their schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:43 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
since 2000 we are gaining 1 year more of life every 4 years.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:55 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
All that stuff is interesting. Yes, there had been a lot of speculation about the increasing rates of obesity leading to younger deaths, but perhaps that has been offset by safer cars and less smoking? I know that deaths from drug overdoses, frequently prescription drugs, have increased to the point where they outnumber deaths in traffic accidents, but again, maybe there are fewer and fewer traffic deaths as well.

Could one part of the equation be that medical science is getting better and better at keeping us alive despite our poor health status? Are more people exercising? More non-obese people eating better? Who knows?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i think it is because most married men have learned it is better to be happy than right.

we are learning not to win those arguments as a happy wife leads to a happy life and greater longetvity for the man. ha ha ha ha.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
I've read that Americans are living longer...with more chronic illnesses. One of many sources states:

"....thanks to advances in medicine and healthier lifestyles, people are living longer and more productively with serious, debilitating diseases that in the past might have been fatal or confined them to a hospital bed. But our society has not addressed the economic, social and public policy consequences of these medical advances."

PBS - Who Cares: Chronic Illness in America -- What is Chronic Illness?

Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I can't figure out why a small increase in longevity is that big a reason to celebrate. Ever visited a nursing home? This trend may reverse. I tend to think so, but its all guess work. Hard to predict the future.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:53 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I can't figure out why a small increase in longevity is that big a reason to celebrate. Ever visited a nursing home? This trend may reverse. I tend to think so, but its all guess work. Hard to predict the future.
I agree. The article talked about the "good news" of increased longevity and I was thinking that there is nothing good about increased longevity per se. Why live longer if you can't see right, can't hear right, and can't even climb up a flight of stairs? I already can't hear right and I'm only 70. It's really hearing aid time in my case - what a horrible travesty. I just hate it.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
From the story:

For someone 65, the CDC estimates that men have about 18 years of life left and women about 20½ years. The gaps between men and women grew slightly, compared to 2011.

I welcome the increased longevity, though I realize that it may have a trade off in health issues. Overall though I'd have to say that today's 70 or 75 year old seems to frequently still be pretty well engaged and getting around, based on what I see in my volunteer efforts.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
NEwtoca. That's probably a select group of those who can get out. My wife sees a different segment. She audits medical charts in a hospital. She regularly sees people in their 50's who have destroyed their health. Obesity, Diabetes, high blood pressure, and Congestive heart failure often found among these. These people don't just have one of these, they have all of them. Its almost a syndrome from our lifestyle, no exercise, and too much fatty foods. Remember life expectancy is just an average lifespan. Half live beyond 78 or so, but 1/2 are already dead.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:23 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
At age 40 I was diagnosed with hypothyroid disease and went on daily medicine right away to bring the levels up. At age 46, after being pre-hypertensive for three consecutive annual physicals I went on daily medicine to reduce my blood pressure. In both instances I avoided having my body get abused by illnesses that weren't easily diagnosed and/or treated when my own father was at a similar age. Less wear and tear on the system generally equates to a longer ride.

We're just getting better at nipping problems in the bud and keeping them under control. Provided ebola doesn't wipe us all out the numbers should continue to climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement