Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:39 PM

16 posts, read 26,747 times

Advertisements

I am fortunate that I have saved a bit and can probably retire anywhere I would like (save Manhattan, Tokyo, etc)
WHile the location of my children and grandchildren is important, I have a whole list of things I'd like to satisfy for that "last move" and I can even rank them fairly well....

SURELY somebody has done a really good job of taking that input and finding the best spots... I tried a couple online ones but they were pretty weak and certainly didn't give me the flexibility I would like.

I would appreciate any input here..

Thanks

fracmeister
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,791,304 times
The best resource is the list of things that will satisfy your "ranked, last move" criteria. The problem that parametric type search engines will have is in isolating the nuances that make you you. For example, a hundred different people could say, "I want a warm place, near the beach, with social amenities" ... and each one would have a different picture in their head.

Your best bet is to narrow your list down to what seems to be 5-10 ideal locations for you. Then, as you research each further, other locations that approximate those on your list, will pop-up. Don't add one to your list without deleting another! -- Gradually, you will come-up with your own custom list; ... one that no other person or computer program can select for you.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:15 PM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times
I doubt that any "best retirement places" list will satisfy anyone. You have to list the things that are important to you and your spouse, prioritize them and don't forget to add "where am I going to be the most happy." Hobbies, culture, friendships, distance from family, activities, etc. I know several people who moved because it was financially a lot less expensive...well, they are miserable. Who hates the oppressive humidity of summer, the critters, who misses their families and friends, who is bored to death? Seriously suggest not only visiting before you move, but staying for a couple of weeks or a month in order to really get a feel for a place and go in the worse season!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:25 PM

30,374 posts, read 16,098,904 times
agree with previous posters.

Some things ya just gotta do for yourself.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:30 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,735,158 times
The problem is it will be different for everyone, since your criteria will be different.

If you are comfortably off, and climate is important at all, consider two residences--being a snowbird is a pretty attractive alternative.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,398,797 times
Get yourself a map of the States (Or the World, if you prefer).
'X' through every place you're not interested in, for whatever reason.
Circle the places you are interested in, for whatever reason.
And start researching and whittling down.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 26,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Get yourself a map of the States (Or the World, if you prefer).
'X' through every place you're not interested in, for whatever reason.
Circle the places you are interested in, for whatever reason.
And start researching and whittling down.
I sort of have been here.... I guess I need multiple transparent (mental if not actual) overlays of the stff that is important to me...

Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 PM

146 posts, read 162,216 times
I have stated before elsewhere that you should retire "where you are comfortable and everything else will take care of itself."

What is comfort? Highly individual in nature but for me the following are important:

1) Family and friends: Sounds like that is at least a consideration for you. Don't minimize it. It may loom large later. For some, family and friends are the reason to move away.

2) Climate: If you hate some climates (don't like cold, don't like heat, don't like humidity, etc.) that is an important factor. Research carefully. Some manage this by migrating during the year (snowbirds).

3) Intellectual stimulation and/or recreation: Not important for some, but very important for many and it is a common means to develop new interests and friendships. Some people are introverted homebodies and don't have this as a consideration. Find out how important this is to you. By this I mean urban vs. rural, college town vs. sleepy village, etc.

4) Cost of living: Something that is important... obviously you need to be able to afford to live in your chosen area, but for me this is a less important consideration. If I find a place that meets my other criteria, I can find a way to live within my means (unless in one of the "off the scale crazy expensive areas).

5) Socioeconomic: Important for some. If you read this forum you will see that some people want to be with "their people." If that is a consideration then it is best that you include that in your research. Others welcome diversity in ethnicity and culture. If either of these are important there are members of the forum who can help you with your short list.

My last piece of advice from seeing multiple friends uproot and move and from others in the forum is to rent first. Test drive the new area to see if it is "comfortable." You will have no regrets for doing so.

I was fortunate to be born where I want to be. I wish you luck in your search and satisfaction with your choice!

Last edited by northwesty; 08-10-2014 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: general cleanup :)

Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
I sort of have been here.... I guess I need multiple transparent (mental if not actual) overlays of the stff that is important to me...
yeah, do the overlay.

I developed a spreadsheet that was able to assign 'weights' to certain criteria. That helped to identify the 'true cost' of living places that I thought I desired.

But it is far more than Cost...

Climate, interests, social environment can play a more significant role. You can have your cake and eat it too, just takes more digging.

Some on this forum have mentioned there are professional retirement transition services that you can pay for having this done.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 PM

262 posts, read 306,912 times
There used to be a guide called Best Places Rated or something close to that. It listed many cities and gave a wide variety of info -- climate, safety, prices, culture, entertainment, etc. it can give you ideas but you'd still need to visit and make your own assessments.

Check out the magazine Where to Retire as well. There's an index of the areas they reviewed and you can buy back copies.

ETA: added magazine name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement