Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:31 AM

5,538 posts, read 6,459,968 times

Advertisements

See post #47. The OP himself revised this thread with an update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 11:39 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
Update: still working and commuting monthly. One of the businesses is scheduled to close at end of the year (retail store). I will continue to run our wholesale entity for the foreseeable future. Still no hobbies or plans after the final move to NC in 4 to 5 years (age 75?)
Did you move? If so, how's it going?

Old 07-01-2017, 12:52 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
OK, here is my situation. Will be 67 in Sept., and still working in my 101 year old family retail business. Wife wants me to retire, but I have no hobbies. I work. 90-100 hours per week. Done this for 45 years and only had 2 vacations in those forty years of marriage. That was for our daughters trips to Disneyland and Disney World.
Tried golf, lost interest. Nothing else appeals to even explore. Father lived to age 97, he quit work at age 90 (so I have 23 years left, LOL) Family business will close upon my retirement or death.
I have gone thru the "Hobby" section, but don't see anything that would appeal to me. Looking for ideas...I know-volunteer, but to what. Thanks for any input.
Well in some ways you sound like my husband but not to the same degree. Or I should say he isn't to the degree you are. He did take an early retirement, not by choice but a poor economy at the time and he
was over qualified for so many jobs. When he finally hung it us,, he started doing part time jobs or whatever In our case money was also an issue but that is for another thread. Anyway he still, at 80 has a small business. It is very small, but it keeps him busy. He is a pet sitter. Though the business has slowed down, partly do to his clients being older and not replacing their pets when pets leave this earth and partly because he doesn't solicit new clients like he used to. For us, this is working out well. We have the freedom to do what we want, we have a few $$s coming in and he feels needed.

We also do volunteer work. There are so many things one can do: work through you church; work with your political party, volunteer at something in your community that is sponsored by say, AARP or even join Lions Club or Rotary. Maybe you can help out at the nearest thrift shop. I know we stay plenty busy and could do even more. For me, it has been easy, I love to play bridge, so I have both volunteer work and bridge to stay almost too busy. Does your wife have hobbies or what does she do to stay busy?

If nothing really appeals to you, can you just cut back your hours, find someone to help you in the business and start enjoy life away from work as well as at work. I totally understand your feelings, but I understand why your wife would want you to give up. I am guessing part of the reason you can't find anything that appeals to you is, you haven't tried. You have been to tied to the family business.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,073,024 times
Apologies. I totally missed his post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement