Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times

Advertisements

My parents, who are in their 60s, have been real estate agents and property managers for more than 20 years, and will keep doing that for as long as their health allows. They own the company, so can't be fired, so as long as they can keep working they will, despite the fact that they could afford to retire today. My dad loves it too much to retire, and he isn't good at doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 01:52 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
My father was in a wheelchair and performed Elsa's Processional to the Cathedral the day before he died.
He was 95.
What did he play?

That is a favorite piece of mine.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What did he play?

That is a favorite piece of mine.
Flute. The clarinet player in front of him turned to him and said' nice job Mr. Johnson.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My dad loves it too much to retire
This is key. I don't think I'll be able to say the same thing in twelve years.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:21 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
Lots of my baby boomer relatives in their 50s tell me they have not saved up enough money to retire so they plan on working FULL TIME until the day they die.

Interesting statement but is this even possible? I wonder how many people who die after 70 years old actually had been working full time until a few weeks before they died. If they live to their 80s or 90s and lose their job is an employer going to hire them in a full time professional job if they are older than 70?

Do you know many older people who continue to work full time until they die?
My sister is almost 70 and still working and has no plans to quit. She already restored from SBC after 35 or more years.

She enjoys getting out of the house. There are several other ladies there like her. Some in their 70s.

I remember one lady at a hospital still working as a social case person. 75 or so and enjoying her job

Old 08-20-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Flute. The clarinet player in front of him turned to him and said' nice job Mr. Johnson.
What a great memory to treasure of your father's last days!

Old 08-20-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
What a great memory to treasure of your father's last days!

Now I want to go home, pour a glass of wine, and find Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral on the Internet.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
Many people retire not by choice, they retire because they are forced to end their work career. It could be a health issue or their employer could have a age limit for certain positions. Workers may say they will work till the day they die, but that is something they may not be able to control. Lets hope they have planned for that reality.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Saved up enough money? What's enough? That's the million dollar question!

For the paranoid, ingrained pessimist, there'll be no end!

"I just feel that they're lying to us about the financial condition of Social Security! The money is going to run out in 5 years, so I had better continue to work and save in case that happens!"

"Medicare is going to run out of funding sooner that we think! Better continue to work and save in case that happens! May need that money for a heart transplant!"

Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 PM

921 posts, read 1,131,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things to say View Post
Lots of my baby boomer relatives in their 50s tell me they have not saved up enough money to retire so they plan on working FULL TIME until the day they die.

Interesting statement but is this even possible? I wonder how many people who die after 70 years old actually had been working full time until a few weeks before they died. If they live to their 80s or 90s and lose their job is an employer going to hire them in a full time professional job if they are older than 70?

Do you know many older people who continue to work full time until they die?
My grandmother who will be 90 years old this month said she will work until the day she dies. She retired once already but returned back to work. One reason she says she'll continue to work is because she likes to stay busy. Another reason is because she watched some of her friends who retired & didn't keep busy pass away within a few years of retirement.

I think I'll be like my grandmother & work until the day I die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement