Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times

Advertisements

Agreed, you can always modify to suit.

That two kitchen thing is ridiculous, who does it hurt?

As with life, we shall see how it goes. But for now that's our plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Agreed, you can always modify to suit.

That two kitchen thing is ridiculous, who does it hurt?

As with life, we shall see how it goes. But for now that's our plan.
If not regulated properly, allowing two units (kitchens) can turn a single family neighborhood into
a rental neighborhood of ill planned duplexes with all the problems of parking and absent landlords.

Most of the cities that allow these units, commonly called ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units) regulate them by requiring one additional off street parking space, limiting them in size (generally under 800 sf, often no more than 50% of main unit) and requiring one of the units to be occupied by an owner. Also often limited to maximum of two people in ADU.

Given that approximately 35% of all households are single people, these units provide a much needed housing option.

Last edited by Eddyline; 08-25-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 09:02 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
OK never thought of that. Good point.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
That 2 kitchen thing is also a regulation here. They get away with it by calling the second kitchen a "kitchenette" and they do not include a stove. The realtor said it works because if there were 2 kitchens, it would be considered a "duplex" so they leave out the stove, but you are free to put in a cooktop after you purchase. There is space for a large microwave.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
A cousin added on a MIL apartment with a walkway to the main house and her mother moved in with them. Then her mother and husband got into a fuss and didn't speak for years. My cousin spent years traipsing back and forth, delivering food, mediating between her husand and mother's demands on her time. Such a mess.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 AM

I love the Next Gen homes. Would have worked wonderful with our kids moving in and out. We have graduate students who stay with us, friends who visit for a few days, etc., would love to have a private place where visitors could relax and not feel like they were on top of us.

I agree about the isolation for older folks. My mom lived with us for years. She spent her days at a senior center. Worked out well.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:52 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

Has anyone else seen this arrangement and really liked it enough to purchase? Of course, when the senior person passes, one could always rent the space to someone.
I know several people who have used this set up for a home based business that required clients coming to the home - a therapist, an architect, etc.

Don't assume the space can be rented, btw. Many HOA's will not allow it, so if that's the eventual expectation, check the CC&R's carefully.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I know several people who have used this set up for a home based business that required clients coming to the home - a therapist, an architect, etc.

Don't assume the space can be rented, btw. Many HOA's will not allow it, so if that's the eventual expectation, check the CC&R's carefully.

Many HOAs do not allow ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Unit) even when allowed by local zoning.
I would be surprised to see a HOA that allowed the construction of an ADU,
but would not allow the rental of an ADU.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:25 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
If not regulated properly, allowing two units (kitchens) can turn a single family neighborhood into
a rental neighborhood of ill planned duplexes with all the problems of parking and absent landlords.

Most of the cities that allow these units, commonly called ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units) regulate them by requiring one additional off street parking space, limiting them in size (generally under 800 sf, often no more than 50% of main unit) and requiring one of the units to be occupied by an owner. Also often limited to maximum of two people in ADU.

Given that approximately 35% of all households are single people, these units provide a much needed housing option.
My city in New Mexico also does not allow cooking facilities in ADUs in single family neighborhoods. And I think they are limited to relatives only although I could not find a reference. However there are many mother-in-law's quarters and casitas in the older parts of town that have been grandfathered in or these are in other zoning areas.

In places in Oregon, the rental vacancy rate is very low and there is limited housing. Some cities are encouraging ADUs for rentals. Another concept being promoted are cottages where there is a grouping of six or so single family houses from 800-1200 SF with a common back yard and parking area. These are meant for small families, couples, singles, and seniors. One may have a very small back yard with a low picket fence to provide "a sense of privacy." It will be interesting to see how that plays out. I can see the people with kids or dogs, barbecuers, partyers, gardeners, and those who want peace and quiet all duking it out.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 08-25-2014 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM

A friend has a home in northern California with a MIL apartment. She rents out the home and stays in the MIL apt. when she's in town. At some point, she plans to live there and either her son and his family live in the main house, or use the main house to house a family with a caregiver in it so she can age in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement