Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I've had 67 of 'em, and loved every one!

We have 6 grandchildren from 5 to 14, and they LOVE anything to do with birthdays...cake and ice cream, a party, the works. I certainly don't need any presents. I can't resist the hand-made cards my granddaughters give me, and my grandsons usually do something goofier than that. Then they want me to tell them stories about the "olden days" (??) -- was I alive back then?? It's a family time, and we use every excuse to get together.
Anything for the little ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,008 times
I found out that 60+ lit candles on a cake will melt the frosting roses.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We're both over 60. We have everything we need material wise, so we celebrate by giving each a card, a kiss, a hug, a I love you, and a dinner at the local steak house. We're very happy.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,382,751 times
ABSOLUTELY! Yes we celebrate! It's another year on the planet! It sure beats the opposite! Plus, I'm going to live to be 120 - so I'm just Middle Aged! I like celebration for any reason. Life is sad and tough enough. Why NOT celebrate?

In Hawaii they still celebrate all the boys' birthdays on May 5 and all the girls' birthdays on March 3. It's an old tradition from Pre-WWII Japan. And it's fun.

Grace - Gratitude - Celebration: Three of Life's greatest secrets. The more you focus there, the happier you are. Without them, your heart dries up into a hard little walnut.

Plus, when you refuse to celebrate with someone who wants to be happy that you are still here and still in their lives, you rip them off. You steal their joy by being a grump. I've lost too many friends in the past decade. It was an honor to celebrate each of their milestones with them. When we celebrated together, I got as much out of it as they did.

NEVER pass up a chance to Celebrate Life.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
My father died on my birthday and it took me a few years to get in the mood for a party again. But yes, party for everyone on their birthday with choice of restaurant or planning their own menu and the sky's the limit. We've had some real feasts over the years.

If people want to give a gift I usually ask for some special food item that wouldn't normally be in my budget. Same as others here I have what I need or can go get it.

Birthday time for me is a celebration of family. I love it when we are all able to have a day of play together.

It was my thirtieth birthday that did me in. Remember "Don't trust anyone over thirty?" That one really stung. But each successive one has felt like another year of experience surviving the problems of being human and sometimes even little triumphs.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Ok, I just turned 60 last week. For the past few years, I keep having dreams that I'm not really 58...59, I'm 40's, its all a mistake...........

Well, now its official! I've decided to celebrate it! I took money out of our savings and bought myself a present---a Victorian rose gold ring, center stone peridot (my birthstone), with diamonds on each side. See, I figure my kids will get whatever's left when I go, money will just go to the nursing home, so my dd can inherit the ring and hopefully sell it for more than I paid, so, in essence, I've just invested her inheritance for her!

Every time I look at it I feel happy, I celebrate my life, all the years past, and the ones in front of me. I feel I've finally come of age!

Besides, people tell me I don't look a day over 59.5

Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Since about age 25, I've not been one for parties, cards, cake, or gifts. When my children came along years later, I tolerated birthday trappings because I thought it important that they learn to celebrate others. So I played along with all the hoopla they planned for my birthday. Now they honor me by respecting my wish to keep the day low-key. I wouldn't mind at all if they completely forgot but they haven't yet. There are more important events throughout the year.

DH feels exactly the same. We always have a good and $$ bottle of wine in reserve, though. Wine beats all heck out of flowers, cards, and cake.

My mom was a traditionalist in that she expected cards and flowers and I honored her wishes. Since her death in 2008, I've not once purchased a card or cut flowers for anyone. I hope to never do so again. I do call or email close friends on their birthdays, and I've been known to pop over with a good bottle of wine.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
I was born on New Years Eve. And Im past 60. I will be 65 on my next birthday.
Everybody celebrates on my birthday. Nobody celebrates my birthday.

I havent gotten a card or a present in years. When I was younger it used to bother me some.
Now Im older its just another day. A card would be nice though. I dont need any more stuff.
I have been known to get an attitude though when Peeps who dont celebrate mine
expect me to get them a card and a gift for theirs. Excuse me. I thought we werent celebrating birthdays.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
My grandmother did up until the year she died at 89. And she was a stickler about it too! If we went out the day before, the day after, the next sat, etc, she would ALWAYS remind us "Well its not really my birthday today but that's ok . . . ."

I miss her so much.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I have been known to get an attitude though when Peeps who dont celebrate mine
expect me to get them a card and a gift for theirs. Excuse me.
That's just wrong. You need new Peeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement