Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Just had a conversation with the wife about Labor Day and how we celebrate. It began with me making the comment that Labor Day should be Sunday not Monday since so many use it as a travel day and to get ready to go back to work and school and not festivities. We stayed at the beach and son and family headed back after a great extended weekend. Our festivities along with others ended yesterday. A crowded beach and pool are giving way to a smaller crowd and soon to be little. She responded that Labor Day is to give folks a day off from work and mark the end of the Summer Festivity season. One last fling. We realized that the weekend is significant but the actual day is now something else for us . What about you? Is it still significant on Monday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
this is my last one as a worker. ......now that is significant.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is my last one as a worker. ......now that is significant.
Great timing

Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Congrats mathjak!

It doesn't mean as much since I went self employed, but it was nice all the years working for 'da man.'

Hopefully after we move it will mean people coming to visit.

I was hoping DH's BFF would stop by but he might have a family BBQ or something.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Now retired, what does Labor Day mean to you?
Same as when I was working.
Stay off the roads as much as possible because of drunks.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
If Labor Day were on a Sunday it wouldn't be a holiday. Yes, I know, there are folks who work Sundays (public safety, hospitals, radio and TV) , but they represent a minority and they would still have to work anyway. Having it on Monday gives people a day of respite, a "reward" and recognition for their labor.

To me, it's just a day without mail delivery when the banks are closed. In other words, pretty meaningless. I just returned from some travels, so the last thing I wanted to do was hit the road for a three-day weekend when everyone else is doing the same. If we're retired we can choose other times, for example starting tomorrow when the roads and airports will be less crowded, motel rooms easier to come by, etc.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Let's see, I polished up an essay I wrote yesterday, made lunch, cleaned up the kitchen, researched travel in France, trimmed bushes and watered container flowers...later on my yoga buddy is coming over for a yoga session, then we'll go out for a light meal and a glass of wine...

And I gave thought to--and appreciation to all our past labor supporters/legislators who have done so much to protect workers...wish they'd now raise the minimum wage in each state to a living wage and do more for in-workplace childcare..we've a long way to go before workers/laborers are able to enjoy a reasonable life. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Congrats mathjak!

It doesn't mean as much since I went self employed, but it was nice all the years working for 'da man.'

Hopefully after we move it will mean people coming to visit.

I was hoping DH's BFF would stop by but he might have a family BBQ or something.
thanks.. it is the culmination of 43 years of working and few vacations longer than a long weekend.

already since i went part time we have taken some trips and i am looking forward to really taking some extended trips .

we decided on august because marilyn goes on medicare and ny has special cobra laws where i can cobra for up to 3 years as a single..

our cobra is way less than an individual policy on the exchange. now i can cobra right in to medicare.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Same as when I was working.
Stay off the roads as much as possible because of drunks.
Unfortunately there's no way to isolate ourselves from drunks on the road, who are ALWAYS out there, as true alcoholics often drink every single day and delude themselves that they are not impaired drivers. I'm always amazed when reading the newspapers that when some drunk finally kills somebody, he or she has frequently had not just one, but several, DUI's. If I ever had a single DUI, I would take it as a clear and unmistakable signal to make major changes in my life. I just don't get those people who insist on putting others at risk and ignoring the draconian fines and license suspensions (at least in California they're draconian).

Not arguing though, as you are probably right that you reduce your chances by not going out on major holidays, especially New Year's Eve.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:38 PM

we never travel holiday weekends here in ny and it scares the heck out of me when the kids do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement