Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

For the past six months, I have been shopping for a laptop to supplement my desktop and my Surface.

I go into a certain large electronics big box. I am looking for help. I stand there for 10 minutes and can get no one to answer any of my questions. I have gone through this at three locations throughout the US.

So I adopted a new strategy. I bring my 19 yo nephew with me. Within 30 seconds, we have not one but two people ready to answer my questions.

Does anyone else experience this when shopping for technology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
For the past six months, I have been shopping for a laptop to supplement my desktop and my Surface.

I go into a certain large electronics big box. I am looking for help. I stand there for 10 minutes and can get no one to answer any of my questions. I have gone through this at three locations throughout the US.

So I adopted a new strategy. I bring my 19 yo nephew with me. Within 30 seconds, we have not one but two people ready to answer my questions.

Wow. Maybe you should take your business elsewhere. Sounds like that company isn't interested in making money. Clever strategy, though. I take it the salespeople in that dept. are all young?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Yes and when I can grab one of them they assume I must be a total idiot about anything to do with computer technology, which really aggravates me. As I told the last guy who was snotty to me -- I was on a Mac and using email BEFORE HE WAS EVEN BORN, so . . . show some respect.

If I take my 30 y/o son with me, everyone is friendly. They talk the same language, bump hands, etc.

I have given up. I was on Macs in 1986 at my office and in my home, on crude dial up internet in 1992, b/f Google was invented. But to these young hipsters, I am just another momma who probably doesn't know a gigabyte from a USB, lololol.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I've never had a problem at Best Buy. In fact, I often have 2 or 3 geeks asking whether I need assistance. But then again, I shop in Baltimore County. Maybe it's regional.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
You're assuming you're going to get correct answers to your questions from a retail store. In most cases these people have very little training or experience, commensurate with their wages. Do most of your research on line, then look at the item in the store, to see if you like the look, touch of the screen etc. Then buy from who you prefer.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I buy directly from Apple. But there are still times I need something from a local store. If I am not in a hurry, I order what I need, so it is doubly aggravating to get ignored when I do walk inside a bricks and mortar electronics store.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
No I have never had that happen. Actually I was ignored more when a teen at stores.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I've never had a problem at Best Buy. In fact, I often have 2 or 3 geeks asking whether I need assistance. But then again, I shop in Baltimore County. Maybe it's regional.
That is where I was shopping - Best Buy . I experienced this in NE Ohio, Tucson, and last week in Chicago.

I can honestly say that Apple was even worse. I stood in the middle of their Tucson store trying to get the attention of anyone who could answer a couple of questions. Finally, someone came over and the first words were "Gotta appointment?". Jeez, how was I supposed to know that I needed an appointment to ask a question. How inconsiderate of me. I did little better in Chicago.

Fry's in Phoenix was a lot better as I was able to ask the guy a few questions and got good answers.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Oh no, not again!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I've shopped at least 5 or 6 times at Best Buy the past two years, for myself and gifts.

I have had no problem at all with being ignored, service has always been excellent, and this is at two different stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement