U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 05:42 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,364,195 times

Advertisements

My husband has been fantasizing about retirement for DECADES and now it's getting closer.

He's highly intelligent and has a GREAT job (litigator), but it's stressful and demanding. It's also a prestigious position, and he's at the top of the heap.

On the weekends, he sits around and does very little. Sometimes, he mows the grass. Most of the time, he watches TV or reads a book. He reads a LOT. He sits for hours, not even stirring.

He swears up and down that when he retires, he's just going to sit around and LOAF, as in do absolutely nothing. And some might say, "Oh, he'll get bored with that."

I don't think so. He prides himself in his "zen-like ability" to sit in one spot for long, long periods of time.

After seven days of vacation at home, I can honestly report that he really is content to sit around like a bump on a log and do absolutely NOT ONE THING.

My question is, I've heard that men who retire and have a hobby or a part-time job live much longer than those who just sit around. Can someone post some real-world experience with this? Or maybe direct me to an article?

I'm desperate to motivate him to go find something to DO rather than sit around. Plus, I work from home and he will drive me to hard liquor if he's underfoot 24/7.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 05:55 PM

5,071 posts, read 5,419,240 times
This is who he is. You've obviously known this for how many years? And now you want him to change??????? Yeah, let us know how that works for you.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:57 PM

86,171 posts, read 83,691,556 times
well i did read a story about a study that said that men who tend to get under their wifes skin tend to live shorter lives then their wives.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:05 PM

5,071 posts, read 5,419,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well i did read a story about a study that said that men who tend to get under their wifes skin tend to live shorter lives then their wives.
There you go! Your prayers have been answered.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 PM

813 posts, read 984,483 times
What do you call 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:12 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,747,434 times
I think you need to plan to get out of the house; at least at first.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 PM

10,185 posts, read 6,037,674 times
Even though you think he won't get bored with doing nothing, I think that is exactly what he will do.

Consider that when he is on a 7 day vacation, he is taking a break from a stressful job. Once he is retired he will no longer be taking a break. He may well enjoy a period of de-stressing, but the rest of his life? Unlikely. He's not a lazy, unambitious person. If he were, he'd not have made it through law school.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:22 PM

11,376 posts, read 47,217,060 times
There's the looming self-esteem issues which may show up when there's nothing to look forward to during retirement.

It's anecdotal, of course ... But every one of my friends/ contemporaries who worked very hard, many at jobs they truly hated for years and were happy to retire to do "nothing" for a change ... All passed away within a couple of years. They really had nothing to look forward to.

OTOH, all of the others who had hobbies, sel-employment sideline businesses .... Are still alive and generally enjoying their retirement.

For me, it's working my farm and ranch, still rep'ing products, and staying very active with my plane and motorcycles and boats. There's more than a lifetime of projects ahead for me. And my wife does't have to worry about me being underfoot.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 PM

3,393 posts, read 3,888,931 times
Mine is the same way. I
come up with plans to do something most days.
He's willing to tag along thank god.

Can't imagine how much weight he'd gain if I let him be.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,108,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
My husband has been fantasizing about retirement for DECADES and now it's getting closer.

He's highly intelligent and has a GREAT job (litigator), but it's stressful and demanding. It's also a prestigious position, and he's at the top of the heap.

On the weekends, he sits around and does very little. Sometimes, he mows the grass. Most of the time, he watches TV or reads a book. He reads a LOT. He sits for hours, not even stirring.

He swears up and down that when he retires, he's just going to sit around and LOAF, as in do absolutely nothing. And some might say, "Oh, he'll get bored with that."

I don't think so. He prides himself in his "zen-like ability" to sit in one spot for long, long periods of time.

After seven days of vacation at home, I can honestly report that he really is content to sit around like a bump on a log and do absolutely NOT ONE THING.

My question is, I've heard that men who retire and have a hobby or a part-time job live much longer than those who just sit around. Can someone post some real-world experience with this? Or maybe direct me to an article?

I'm desperate to motivate him to go find something to DO rather than sit around. Plus, I work from home and he will drive me to hard liquor if he's underfoot 24/7.

Thanks.
With that kind of immobility he could well get a blood clot or have a heart event. I would stress that, and show him reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement