Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times

Advertisements

There's a remote chance I'll get a job offer in Hawaii (Kauai). We spent a year on Oahu and I've been to Kauai so I know I like the place. I have about 5 years until I retire. I know Hawaii isn't my forever home. I'm not in my forever home right now. I do have applications in areas that I know I could probably stay forever.

Here's the thing. Why not spend the end of my career in paradise then relocate to my forever home? But I can save more money if I go to my forever home right now. As a matter of fact, my pay grade would stay the same if I went to Hawaii but will increase if I go to my forever home.

C'mon! 5 years on Kauai? That would be a great way to end my career!

I need someone to make some sense of this. I have a good shot at both jobs. If I get an offer for Hawaii, I was thinking I could delay my start date and see if the other job makes me an offer...

There's no relocation expenses paid for either job. Which is how we got to Oahu and back to the Mainland. We paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Quality of life on Kauai is far superior to Oahu, (IMHO)

I would do the most enjoyable thing, a 'forever' home sounds like a REALLY long time...

Use your present wealth and health to adventure in areas that may be inaccessible in the near future. Being PAID to live in a nice location is a perk.

(I just completed a yr in Asia as my finale ) +/-, but not something I plan to repeat, or something I would have wanted to miss. Location / people were great... work stress was way too much to allow a 'wind-down'.)

BTW, My S-I-L ventured to Maui 35 yrs ago and has stayed. (with 10+ yrs on Kauai as well)

Old 12-25-2014, 07:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
Totally agree with the comparison of Islands.

Your thoughts are exactly my gut feeling. My adventurous gut.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,562,181 times
I would go to Kauai! Your "forever home" will be something you can work out when the time comes to think about "forever." But now -- seize the moment!

The older I get, the more I treasure those memories, especially when I knew those adventures were "unique" for me -- they would never be repeated (unlikely I would ever trek to those spots again).

We moved to our "forever" home about 10 years prematurely, because a job offer came up and the company paid the expenses. I won't say it was a mistake, but we quickly came to realize we had given up that part of our adventure a bit too soon. So I advise you from a place of experience.

Best wishes as you make your decision!

Old 12-25-2014, 11:56 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,376,743 times
Go to Kauai! None of us knows what the future is going to be, but you do know what you can do now. I would look for a home where I could easily age. Good luck in your decision but you only live once.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:26 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,699,573 times
In retirement or close to retirement financial mistakes cannot be overcome. Research the costs of the move there and then the cost to relocate. Plus the total cost of living should you decide to stay. Do you have sufficient funds to spend the money without affecting your basic retirement program? Are there other areas such as special interests or hobbies that you would prefer to spend the money?

Old 12-25-2014, 01:13 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,327,798 times
also a lot would depend upon if this is a career advantageous move. Also how the calculations would impact your retirement $.

For example, working for the government if I transferred to HI and ended my career then none of the locality pay would count toward my retirement. If I took another job in the US, that amount would count in total toward my retirement amount.

Putting aside the cost of the move, the distance and cost to see family, and high cost of living in HI, for me it would not have been a good financial decision so close to retirement.

but that may not be a factor with your job.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Go to Kauai.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Also, I don't get this concept of "forever home."

Isn't that what dog rescues say?

Old 12-25-2014, 02:01 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,108,302 times
Why make the forever home be somewhere you don't really want to live?

When I selected a permanent home, I was picking the area that I thought I would enjoy for the rest of my life. Hawaii was on my list, but wasn't in the top 3 locations.

If you have enough money, going to the island is fine. If you have less than a million saved for retirement, you need to be making more financially prudent moves. It's unfortunate, but many people place temporary enjoyment over long term stability and then cry when the stranger tells them to go eat cat food if they can't afford real food. Don't mortgage your retirement to live up a dream. Only go if you can actually afford the long term implications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement