Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times

Advertisements

I live in Mercer, PA it is in Western PA near where I79 and I80 cross. It is beautiful here and the people are friendly. I am retired and living here is very affordable. Houses and land is affordable some would say cheap compared to the rest of the country. Outdoor activities and gardening are popular. It is only an hour drive into Pittsburgh and about 90 min to Cleveland. We do not have a Wholefoods (40 min drive) but we do have plenty of local farm markets and Aldies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 07:37 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I would want to add the WV panhandle to this discussion. Especially the northern half of the panhandle.
Me Too,
I bought a house in Weirton WV to retire too. It is up at the top of the panhandle and is about 2 miles in either direction from either Ohio or Pennsylvania. The taxes there are quite low, and where I am everything is within walking distance, post office, library, police and fire, banks, supermarket etc. there is good medical care available close by.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:14 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
In Ohio you get to vote on school taxes. I don't think you do in Pennsylvania. They just raise you property tax. You do realize that people are moving away from that area and not to it.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
In Ohio you get to vote on school taxes. I don't think you do in Pennsylvania. They just raise you property tax. You do realize that people are moving away from that area and not to it.
So?

Not everybody in the world is obsessed with taxes.
Not everybody wants to live dependent upon A/C from April through September.
Not everybody wants to live in a desert.
Not everybody wants to live in a crowded metro where they have to fight traffic and crowds where ever they go or else be in the middle of nowhere and 50-100 miles from anything resembling reasonable services/amenities like medical facilities, shopping, dining etc or outdoor recreation.

Many areas of the Northeast, Mid Atlantic, and Appalachians are very affordable and comfortable for retirees, primarily because of the low cost of housing. They are affordable because they aren't popular, primarily because they don't offer as many decent paying jobs as bigger areas, and they aren't really within commuting distance of bigger metros with more job opportunities, so younger people leave. They can still be within an hour or two of all the amenities of much larger metros, though, without the high real estate prices or hassles. Moreover, with a higher percentage of seniors in a town/city/metro, there are many more services/programs for us.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So?

Not everybody in the world is obsessed with taxes.
Not everybody wants to live dependent upon A/C from April through September.
Not everybody wants to live in a desert.
Not everybody wants to live in a crowded metro where they have to fight traffic and crowds where ever they go or else be in the middle of nowhere and 50-100 miles from anything resembling reasonable services/amenities like medical facilities, shopping, dining etc or outdoor recreation.

Many areas of the Northeast, Mid Atlantic, and Appalachians are very affordable and comfortable for retirees, primarily because of the low cost of housing. They are affordable because they aren't popular, primarily because they don't offer as many decent paying jobs as bigger areas, and they aren't really within commuting distance of bigger metros with more job opportunities, so younger people leave. They can still be within an hour or two of all the amenities of much larger metros, though, without the high real estate prices or hassles. Moreover, with a higher percentage of seniors in a town/city/metro, there are many more services/programs for us.
Jeez, Linda! Your postings have prompted me to include Jamestown on the Grand RV Tour! Thanks for all the info about the area over the years! Best, Jane

Old 09-22-2015, 07:26 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Jeez, Linda! Your postings have prompted me to include Jamestown on the Grand RV Tour! Thanks for all the info about the area over the years! Best, Jane
If you're taking the Grand RV Tour, you should put all of Upstate NY on your itinerary if you have enough time, although I'm particularly partial to my little corner of southwestern NY.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Still working here here in California. I was offered a big raise and couldn't see turning it down. After more visits and research, I've fallen in love with the Salem/Columbiana area of eastern Ohio. It will probably be another four years though. Sometimes not getting what you want really is a brilliant stroke of luck.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:24 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Still working here here in California. I was offered a big raise and couldn't see turning it down. After more visits and research, I've fallen in love with the Salem/Columbiana area of eastern Ohio. It will probably be another four years though. Sometimes not getting what you want really is a brilliant stroke of luck.
If I ever moved back, which I'm not planning on, Salem would be at the top of my list. Always liked that area. It still has that small town feel in my opinion.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

This is SO true. I've brooded over a few things I was expecting to happen, but they never did, and now in retrospect, I am so glad they did not.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If I ever moved back, which I'm not planning on, Salem would be at the top of my list. Always liked that area. It still has that small town feel in my opinion.

Salem does. I was just there during Thanksgiving. People still walk by and say "good morning." I love that and the hospital has been expanded and has a new wing and equipment. There are some very good restaurants, too. Just over in Columbiana there's Das Dutch Haus for some wonderful Amish meals and
pies. There sugar-free pies are really good, as well. It gets harder to leave every time I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement