Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,358,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you're that unhappy, find another job and move to somewhere that suits you better. I don't care for east TN and I'm very conservative, but I like middle TN and upstate SC. I think a lot of New England is absolutely beautiful, but I certainly wouldn't go to MA or Chicago or some liberal spot and demand everything to be conservative. I'd just have to suck it up and deal with the liberalism.

The issue people like me have with people moving to nice parts of the South from liberal areas, citing high taxes, lack of growth, etc, then voting for politicians that want to implement the exact same ideas they ran from is that they want to change what they moved to to what they moved from.
I agree. It's pure hubris and total lack of consideration. But it's nice to know that according to the OP there isn't that much emigration from the left coast right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,990,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I agree. It's pure hubris and total lack of consideration. But it's nice to know that according to the OP there isn't that much emigration from the left coast right now.
When in an area, you probably ought to conform with the local norms if you want to get along. Deliberately going against the grain or trying to antagonize is just going to cause problems. I think the food back down South is far better than here in Indiana, but insulting the Hoosier tenderloin won't win me any friends.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:04 PM

4,338 posts, read 4,695,102 times
Quote:
If you're that unhappy, find another job and move to somewhere that suits you better.
I like my job and getting paid big city money - faster route to retirement. And lots of travel to both coasts to get my culture fix.
But thanks for the advice.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:28 PM

146 posts, read 162,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you're that unhappy, find another job and move to somewhere that suits you better. I don't care for east TN and I'm very conservative, but I like middle TN and upstate SC. I think a lot of New England is absolutely beautiful, but I certainly wouldn't go to MA or Chicago or some liberal spot and demand everything to be conservative. I'd just have to suck it up and deal with the liberalism.

The issue people like me have with people moving to nice parts of the South from liberal areas, citing high taxes, lack of growth, etc, then voting for politicians that want to implement the exact same ideas they ran from is that they want to change what they moved to to what they moved from.
Lots of conservative folks doing the same thing. I have three, newly retired neighbors who recently moved here from out of state who proudly tell me how they vote against local school funding measures ("I a'int got kids") and proposed gas tax increases to repair roads.... all the while complaining about how bad the roads are here.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,358,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I like my job and getting paid big city money - faster route to retirement. And lots of travel to both coasts to get my culture fix.
But thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Maybe. My job is moving but I'm not sure I am willing to move with it as lifestyle is a major part of my decision and not sure that any amount of money can make up for what I will have to give up.

What neighborhoods would be good for:

Access to good food markets (Whole Foods for example)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingwest236 View Post
Moving to the Bay Area from the East Coast, and on many forums I'm hearing a lot of hate about California. I personally love it and can't wait to move, but I wanted to get people's opinions on the downsides of California.

Overall is California that bad a place to live? It seems like there's a lot to do, and the climate is fantastic, so I'm just wondering why so many people dislike it.
The first two quotes certainly answer the question in the last quote.

I rest my case.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 PM

34,882 posts, read 30,990,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesty View Post
Lots of conservative folks doing the same thing. I have three, newly retired neighbors who recently moved here from out of state who proudly tell me how they vote against local school funding measures ("I a'int got kids") and proposed gas tax increases to repair roads.... all the while complaining about how bad the roads are here.
If you want good roads, someone or something has to fix them. I have little issue with road funding, especially after having several flats here in Indiana. What I despise are high gas taxes and high income taxes, receiving no services, and having no earthly clue where that money went.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:22 PM

In Oregon, the statewide gas tax can only be used for highways. Any other use is illegal.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,262,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
top 4 Surprise me. Why, oh why? (NC is nice but pretty spendy)
VT and OR all but rape you for taxes.

I would say these people did not research C-D before they moved.
Some people choose a place to live for reasons other than saving money on taxes. To some, living cheaply is not a life goal that takes precedence over all family, friends, job opportunities, attractive activities and amenities, even beautiful scenery. In fact, some of us even think we're getting our money's worth from the taxes we pay, so we're happy to send in the check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I don't yet get the upshot of this information for retirees....
The article says 1 in 4 of the people moved by this company are retirees. That means about 25% of the people that are moving into these popular states are retired. Some people might not care where retirees are going but I find it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It is amazing how a PR story from United Moving gets picked up as "fact" by lazy new organizations. It flat-out isn't true that "more people" are moving to Oregon than any other state - it is ONLY that Oregon has the highest ratio of people moving in versus moving out. I am sure that California and Texas have far more people moving in.

It wasn't just CNN, either, I've seen this in other major news outlets.
The press release isn't a census report. It says where the MOST moves this company is hired for take place. United Moving isn't claiming to be the be-all and end-all collector of moving information. The PR story simply reported what has been their company's experience in 2014. If news outlets picked it up, United Moving got free publicity ... just what they wanted in hiring a PR person. I didn't catch that they claimed "more people are moving to Oregon than any other state." What they said was THEIR COMPANY MOVED more people to Oregon than any other state. Quite a difference and unlikely they would make such a statement without being able to prove it.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:25 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,223,795 times
One of my reasons for not moving to Oregon is the impending cascadia subduction earthquake. It supposedly happens once every 300 years on average, and is much bigger than any earthquake in California. The last time it happened was in 1700. If it breaks all the dams, a lot of the cities will be under fast-moving water. And if you're in a beach town, you're likely to get hit by a big tsunami caused by it.

Something else old people should take into account. The older you get, the more you appreciate warm weather, because the ability of your body heat to warm your clothing to keep you warm gets reduced by age. You reach a point where you can wear very heavy winter clothing, overcoats, etc., and still feel cold, because your metabolism isn't generating enough heat to warm all that heavy clothing. You might feel warm at age 65, but in the exact same situation at age 75 you might feel like you're freezing. That's one of the reasons why old people like Florida so much. They can count on warm weather all year there. Not just temperate weather, but warm. Warm enough to make them feel like they're wrapped in an electric blanket. And that's exactly how a lot of old people want to feel, because even slightly cool weather can often make them feel like they're freezing. But you have to carefully take both sides into account, because you can also get hot enough to be uncomfortable. The older you are, the harder it is to tolerate wide variations of temperature in either direction.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One of my reasons for not moving to Oregon is the impending cascadia subduction earthquake. It supposedly happens once every 300 years on average, and is much bigger than any earthquake in California. The last time it happened was in 1700. If it breaks all the dams, a lot of the cities will be under fast-moving water. And if you're in a beach town, you're likely to get hit by a big tsunami caused by it.
Yes, if the "Big One" happens and the dams break we could be washed down the valley and end up food for the crabs. Perhaps indeed a good reason not to live in Oregon...

Or for the same reason not to live in Washington or northern California, also at risk for subduction zone quakes. Then there are the Cascade volcanos which can blow up with little warning. The the Yellowstone caldera which is expanding and if it erupts could cover the midwest and eastern USA with five feet of hot ash. And scientists worry about the potential for a massive landslide in the Canary Islands, which could create s 150 foot tsunami that would inundate the east coast of the USA. A similar risk is present from the Mauna Loa shield volcano in Hawaii. Then we have drought, floods, tornados, earthquakes, wildfires and hurricanes at various locations which can cause deaths and large destruction. Throw in comet and/or astroid impacts, nearby supernova explosions or coronal mass ejections from the sun--all of which would be devastating--and we all have a lot to worry about.... or not.

Life is a fragile and wonderful gift. Enjoy it wherever you feel at home and comfortable. You are always at risk from something. You can choke to death on a hotdog anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement