Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 04:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,863,025 times

Advertisements

Actually, one of the greatest ladies I've known just died a few weeks ago. But she would have had nothing to put in an obit. Just a simple Christian, a loving and kind wife and mother, who brought joy where ever she went. Hardworking and humble. I was really blessed by knowing her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's a problem that folks are first hearing of parents or siblings dying by seeing it on Facebook. It is a little thoughtless to race to Facebook to post such bad news before the family is notified. I know of a couple cases where that has happened.
Actually, social media are now used by many people to post a direct obituary without going to the legacy media.

We've done it for family members and one interesting thing was, people came to the funerals who never would have come otherwise. It's hard to reach everyone using only a local paper and some list of contacts. Going to social media is a lot more effective.

Of course, the deceased needs to have previously arranged for this to happen and set forth a specific plan. Some people write their own obituary and ask a family member who they give login info to (or tell them where they can find it) to post upon their demise.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,854,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Actually, one of the greatest ladies I've known just died a few weeks ago. But she would have had nothing to put in an obit. Just a simple Christian, a loving and kind wife and mother, who brought joy where ever she went. Hardworking and humble. I was really blessed by knowing her.
What you wrote about her in your post would have made a wonderful obit, in my opinion!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:20 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've been scanning the Obituary columns for decades, don't ask my why, it's an addiction!

The vast majority of them are sugar-coated, as if they walked around on this planet with angel wings, or their sh*t never stunk!

"She would have done anything for her children!"
"The most loving, selfless mother or father you could ask for!"
"She was totally dedicated/loyal to her husband for 60 years!"
"He will now be rejoined in Heaven with his loving wife of 50 years!:
"All the grandchildren worshipped their grandmother!"
"His wife and children always came first!"

How about you? Are you planning on have a typical sugar-coated obituary some day, or are you planning to have your obituary stand out from the rest, perhaps with some humor thrown in? Or some dashes of brutal honesty? And are you going to write in advance or leave it to one of your grandchildren who worshipped the ground you walked on? Or leave it to your loyal/dedicated wife or husband to write? And, why insult your intelligence, no 4-letter or 7-letter (adding ing) words will be allowed!
I will leave it to my relatives. What are you going to write OP; good riddance? No wander your addicted.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
once you're gone, you really don't have that choice - decision will be made by "survivors".
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
That's cruel but at the same time, so funny!
It's very true , if they want to ignore my will, and the beauty of it is that I won't care a bit. But I might take up haunting in my final "retirement."

Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,361,284 times
In the end, why an obituary? People you care about and who really care about you should already know you well enough to know about your life. They, and those who are merely curious only need to know that you've reached the end of your shelf life, have finally come to your expiration date and have now assumed room temperature. No flowery language required.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:10 PM

14,871 posts, read 12,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've been scanning the Obituary columns for decades, don't ask my why, it's an addiction!

The vast majority of them are sugar-coated, as if they walked around on this planet with angel wings, or their sh*t never stunk!

"She would have done anything for her children!"
"The most loving, selfless mother or father you could ask for!"
"She was totally dedicated/loyal to her husband for 60 years!"
"He will now be rejoined in Heaven with his loving wife of 50 years!:
"All the grandchildren worshipped their grandmother!"
"His wife and children always came first!"

How about you? Are you planning on have a typical sugar-coated obituary some day, or are you planning to have your obituary stand out from the rest, perhaps with some humor thrown in? Or some dashes of brutal honesty? And are you going to write in advance or leave it to one of your grandchildren who worshipped the ground you walked on? Or leave it to your loyal/dedicated wife or husband to write? And, why insult your intelligence, no 4-letter or 7-letter (adding ing) words will be allowed!
Nooooooooooooooooo! I always figured a lot of those long syrupy obituaries were written by a grieving close family member of the departed, and maybe writing such an obituary served to vent that grief in some way, I don't know. It never occurred to me, I must admit, that someone would write his/her own obituary with instructions to publish it in all the newspapers in a tri-state area and anywhere they departed ever lived, but I guess that happens.

I might be the most beloved and ahem.... mahvelous human being to ever grace this earth, LOL , but I'd just as soon not have all that out there in any obituary for perusal by strangers who didn't know me and who don't give a happy damn. I'd just as soon be remembered by those who knew me in a big party where everyone's laughing, toasting my memory and laughing like hyenas about their shared memories of our great moments, my great sense of humor and the ridiculous, and being happy to have shared my life.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,923,032 times
I'm not leaving this world without a final story. Just to set the record straight, for all those who saw me as a misfit. I've told very few people about myself. They could (probably) not care less. I will not fictionalize or exaggerate. But I've done some fairly neat things (not hobbies) I'd like to be remembered for.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,415,420 times
I wonder what genealogy research will be like in the future without obits. Yes, I know, they are not exactly accurate, but still, some of my best times researching my family was going through old obits in the hometown papers.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 PM

23,130 posts, read 28,863,992 times
Why do I get a laugh out of these obituaries that state:

"Mabel will now be rejoining her beloved husband in Heaven now!"

It's been 10 years! He may have gotten lonely, horny up there, waiting and waiting and waiting, and? He took up with someone else! She finally arrives, and?

"Remember our wedding vows, Mabel? 'til death do us part! Meet my new wife!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement